Cars

Cars, V8 racing, F1 racing, motorbikes, vintage, new, mechanical

Re: Cars

Postby Spargo » Tue May 30, 2017 6:19 pm

bennymacca wrote:Im looking at a dual cab ute around the same price, because i dont want a mummy wagon.

Possibly a triton at this stage. Any thoughts?

What's a "mummy wagon"?
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby bennymacca » Tue May 30, 2017 6:21 pm

Psyber wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Im looking at a dual cab ute around the same price, because i dont want a mummy wagon.

A guy I know who runs a large station in the north says he only buys Isuzu utes for that environment, although he conceded he had bought his daughter a Great Wall, "but she only uses it to run a few bales of hay up to her horses and it will last long enough for the price on those light duties."

TBH i wont use it for much more than the occasional camping trip or taking things to the dump

so it will be family car much more than workhorse.

I have looked into the izuzu and they look decent value for money but the triton's seem to be much nicer inside. which is important if i want to get this across the line with the mrs :D

Spargo wrote:

What's a "mummy wagon"?

ahem.

Santa fe and the like :D

My FIL has a Santa Fe, Brother has an I35 and Mum has a Captiva and i dont like any of them. I would choose the santa fe out of that lot though

Personal preference obviously, but if i can get a ute that has a similar interior to those sorts of cars, it will provide similar space inside but more flexibility with the ute etc
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Bully » Tue May 30, 2017 6:22 pm

First car driven - VH commodore

Current car driven - GEN F HSV GTS

Worst car driven - - Falcon EL wagon

Dream car to drive - Ferrari F12 , or a Lambo Aventador
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby Spargo » Tue May 30, 2017 10:09 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Psyber wrote:

A guy I know who runs a large station in the north says he only buys Isuzu utes for that environment, although he conceded he had bought his daughter a Great Wall, "but she only uses it to run a few bales of hay up to her horses and it will last long enough for the price on those light duties."

TBH i wont use it for much more than the occasional camping trip or taking things to the dump

so it will be family car much more than workhorse.

I have looked into the izuzu and they look decent value for money but the triton's seem to be much nicer inside. which is important if i want to get this across the line with the mrs :D

Spargo wrote:

What's a "mummy wagon"?

ahem.

Santa fe and the like :D

My FIL has a Santa Fe, Brother has an I35 and Mum has a Captiva and i dont like any of them. I would choose the santa fe out of that lot though

Personal preference obviously, but if i can get a ute that has a similar interior to those sorts of cars, it will provide similar space inside but more flexibility with the ute etc

Let me know how it goes ie; bubs seat/comfortability & whether the missus likes driving it down to the shops.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby bennymacca » Tue May 30, 2017 10:45 pm

gonna go for a test drive on saturday and take the baby car seat etc, so ill report back. i had a quick look on monday at lunch but it was raining. it looked quite nice inside, roughly similar to our mitsubishi lancer. the newest model also had smartphone connect stuff which i also want to check out
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:19 pm

I quite liked the triton. Was easy to drive and had a surprising Amount of power.

Wasn't as comfortable or roomy in the back as I was expecting.

We also drove a Mitsubishi Outlander. The car was pretty sluggish to drive but in terms of the features it was very good. Extremely roomy in both the boot and the back seats.

$28k brand new drive away is pretty tempting given the demo triton was 38k plus probably 3.5k more when I had a tub liner and hard tonneau cover.

So I didn't quite get it over the line with the mrs hehe.

Might go and have a look at the Mazda CX-5 as well. But the outlander was pretty solid.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:11 pm

That's the problem with the dual cap utes, the back seats still don't actually allow for an adult to sit comfortably back there.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:38 pm

Booney wrote:That's the problem with the dual cap utes, the back seats still don't actually allow for an adult to sit comfortably back there.

yeah i was expecting there to be a lot of room but there really wasnt. i would be able to sit there for a short trip but not really for a longer one.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:42 am

Spargo wrote:Am looking at a 2016 Hyundai Santa Fe, 30 Special Edition SUV, Auto 2WD MY17 6cyl 3.3l petrol
$39,990 drive away
Thoughts?

I looked at that and it's a good car.
I narrowed it down to the Sante Fe and a Mazda CX-9 as they were the same price.

I went the CX9 in the end as it had more room and a bigger motor, 3.7l motor.
Sante Fe looks better but the CX9 feels better IMO.... if that makes sense.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:33 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Spargo wrote:Am looking at a 2016 Hyundai Santa Fe, 30 Special Edition SUV, Auto 2WD MY17 6cyl 3.3l petrol
$39,990 drive away
Thoughts?

I narrowed it down to the Sante Fe and a Mazda CX-9 as they were the same price.

The Santa Fe (2015) we purchased was a diesel and the only reason we went with that over a CX7/CX9 or Kluger at the end of the day was fuel economy. Both Mazda and Toyota don't make diesels and it would've doubled the fuel bill had we taken one on. I couldn't salary package it so i was conscious of the fuel bills we were walking into. A mate of ours had a CX7 and said he drained the tank just by looking at it. He now has a diesel Kia Sorrento and even though the car is bigger, he loves it.

I test drove the CX9 and it felt like I was driving a mini bus. The Kluger was best under foot and handled well but the Hyundai was best value for money at the time (66'ish vs 54).

The ticket on the CX9 says fuel economy is about 12/13l per 100km but I've heard it's more around 17/18 around town. The Hyundai is 8.9 and that's predominantly around town.

I'm just reading the CX9 article saying there is a 2.5l turbo which will be better than the 2015 model. I also note the whirlpool.net.au conversation. It'd be worthwhile having a read through this. It's old though. http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1147690
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:32 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
$39,990 drive away
Thoughts?

The Santa Fe (2015) we purchased was a diesel and the only reason we went with that over a CX7/CX9 or Kluger at the end of the day was fuel economy. Both Mazda and Toyota don't make diesels and it would've doubled the fuel bill had we taken one on. I couldn't salary package it so i was conscious of the fuel bills we were walking into. A mate of ours had a CX7 and said he drained the tank just by looking at it. He now has a diesel Kia Sorrento and even though the car is bigger, he loves it.

I test drove the CX9 and it felt like I was driving a mini bus. The Kluger was best under foot and handled well but the Hyundai was best value for money at the time (66'ish vs 54).

The ticket on the CX9 says fuel economy is about 12/13l per 100km but I've heard it's more around 17/18 around town. The Hyundai is 8.9 and that's predominantly around town.

I'm just reading the CX9 article saying there is a 2.5l turbo which will be better than the 2015 model. I also note the whirlpool.net.au conversation. It'd be worthwhile having a read through this. It's old though. http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1147690

You're right about fuel consumption in The CX9, as it's not the best.
I get about 16/17 around town but it improves significantly on long drives thankfully.

Also the 2.5l turbo motor in the new CX9 costs about $6k more than what I paid for the 3.7l petrol motor.
Fair difference which I wasn't prepared to pay.

I'm really happy with The CX9.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:45 pm

Went and had a look at the mazda Cx5 and 6 wagon on the weekend.

The Cx5 was really nice but the boot was surprisingly small. And given that is one of the major reasons we want a new car, we ruled it out almost immediately.

the 6 wagon ticked all the boxes for us. Had more boot room than almost all of the medium SUVs. Didnt get a chance to fully put it through its paces on the weekend, but i reckon ive almost decided.

Demo was about 37k for the touring model with leather seats etc which seems ok.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:22 am

went and test drove the 6 wagon last night and it was great. really liked how it drove and was very comfortable inside.

tried to haggle on price a bit, offered 34 down from 37488 (demo with 2000km on the clock) and they were like yeah nah not happening. they shaved it back to 37 after 20 odd mins but I said i wasnt really happy with that and walked out. Hoping they call me back today. Would be happy with something 35-36. no idea how realistic that is. But not in a super rush to buy anything.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:57 am

@bennymacca so what did you go with?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:00 am

Booney wrote:@bennymacca so what did you go with?

Ended up buying the Mazda 6 touring wagon for $36.5k with 1500km on the clock

Having driven it for a few weeks now I am very happy with it.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:30 pm

Had the opportunity to drive a VF Series II SS worked by KPMG motor sport this morning.

The owner of the vehicle came along for the ride, and boy it was a ride alright. I'm no race car driver but I rate my driving ability pretty well, I can get through a 6 speed with some purpose. Well, this I only needed to get through 2nd into 3rd to have some real purpose!

I can see why people get seduced by the sheer testicles to the back of your seat power, it's ******* brilliant. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby heater31 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:36 pm

Booney wrote:Had the opportunity to drive a VF Series II SS worked by KPMG motor sport this morning.

The owner of the vehicle came along for the ride, and boy it was a ride alright. I'm no race car driver but I rate my driving ability pretty well, I can get through a 6 speed with some purpose. Well, this I only needed to get through 2nd into 3rd to have some real purpose!

I can see why people get seduced by the sheer testicles to the back of your seat power, it's ******* brilliant. [emoji38]

Yep as a VF ute owner the past 3 months (only the SV6 though) if you sink the boot in its screaming in 2nd at 80 km/h.......

Holden also encourage manual owners to take off in 2nd gear from a standing start.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Psyber » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:14 pm

My lady's 85 year old mother just bought herself a top of the range Kia Sportage - she has a boat at the Yacht Squadron site and also loves the auto-parking facility.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby bennymacca » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:33 pm

Psyber wrote:My lady's 85 year old mother just bought herself a top of the range Kia Sportage - she has a boat at the Yacht Squadron site and also loves the auto-parking facility.

Psyber life
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:36 pm

My Dad was probably the best driver I and my Mum have ever seen on the road. I talked him into stop driving at 70 because of his deteriorating reflexes. With so many old people driving through kids, people in general, walls, windows and doors I'm stoked with your post Psyber, well done. Why not get a few dead relatives on the road and encourage that while you're at it too. You're a credit to society.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Motoring/Motorsport