Cars

Cars, V8 racing, F1 racing, motorbikes, vintage, new, mechanical

Re: Cars

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:12 pm

Wedgie wrote:My Dad was probably the best driver I and my Mum have ever seen on the road. I talked him into stop driving at 70 because of his deteriorating reflexes. With so many old people driving through kids, people in general, walls, windows and doors I'm stoked with your post Psyber, well done. Why not get a few dead relatives on the road and encourage that while you're at it too. You're a credit to society.

I'm not trying to get into the debate about old age drivers - because my mum is shocking! However, with new cars, they have so many features which stop such incidents Wegs, I don't think we should tar everyone with the same brush.

Driving is something people my parents age hold dear to them because it means they have independence. I agree, you need to know when to give up. My mum should because she drives an old car. I'd feel better for people around her if she was in a new car which had the senses built into the car.

BTW, she's a shocking driver, but has been for 30 years.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Spargo » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:41 pm

Wedgie wrote:My Dad was probably the best driver I and my Mum have ever seen on the road. I talked him into stop driving at 70 because of his deteriorating reflexes. With so many old people driving through kids, people in general, walls, windows and doors I'm stoked with your post Psyber, well done. Why not get a few dead relatives on the road and encourage that while you're at it too. You're a credit to society.

Really poor post.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby bennymacca » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:15 am

Yep, it’s certainly those older drivers that are the issue.

(Indigenous people are 2.9 times more likely to die in an accident than non indigenous, maybe we should ban them too)
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:52 am

Road deaths are irrelevent, its the deaths caused per time spent on the road that concerns me.
My friend that died in her lounge room watching tv when an elderly driver drove through her wall mistaking his accelerator for his brake and similar accidents concern me.
Despite having a full time job, being an only child and kids I managed to look after my old man so he could avoid being on the road after the age of 70. Peoples cognitive skills, awareness and reflexes just aren't up to it and so innocent people don't die in their lounge rooms its a familys responsibility to keep them off the road. I am aware Im much more community minded and less self centred than most people so there will always be disagreements on the issue.

On a related issue Ive been involved in 4 accidents over almost 30 years, 3 were caused by elderly people doing the wrong thing, 1 was a young girl on her Ps going up my arse. One of the elderly blokes couldnt even read his license he was that blind and that was on a 100km/hr road with lots of traffic.
One woman reversed out of her driveway into me. I managed to swerve to the wrong side of the road after assessing it was safe to do so but she still managed to hit me even though she didnt need to come out that far to go in the direction she planned to go. She told me she was very deaf and couldn't hear my horn.

I'm sick of it and won't allow it to happen to others.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby amber_fluid » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:59 am

I never really thought about it until now but both my accidents I was involved in were elderly people.
An elderly lady drove straight through a stop sign and T barred me.
She said she didn’t see the big red sign.

The other was an elderly gentleman who reversed out his driveway as I was driving by...... he said he didn’t see me either!

Coincidence maybe?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby bennymacca » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:12 pm

im all for more regular testing of older people - and maybe even all of us whenever our licence gets renewed.

but to say all elderly people should be off the road is just ignorant. and the stats dont back it up as them being more dangerous than say young people
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:42 pm

bennymacca wrote:im all for more regular testing of older people - and maybe even all of us whenever our licence gets renewed.

but to say all elderly people should be off the road is just ignorant. and the stats dont back it up as them being more dangerous than say young people

Yes the stats do. Crashes and deaths caused per time on the road.
It's like the ignorant people who say woman are better drivers because of stats, once again if you look at deaths and crashes per time spent on the road it's quite obvious.
I agree there may be an issue with really young people too, I know I shouldn't have had a full licence at 16, luckily my skill, awareness and reflexes got me safely through a period when I was too immature to be driving. When I did an advanced driving course at Mallala the instructor said I should have been a professional race car driver.

I like your previous stat, you're saying if a young driver (and possibly pedestrian, person sitting in their house or cyclist) gets killed by an elderly person going through a red light that makes the young person a bad driver. :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:05 pm

Make it 60 years, a 66 yo I used to see at the Reepham drove straight through a window of a servo on Main North Rd today.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:32 pm

Many > :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby MW » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:37 pm

This is a ridiculous thread and I'm a little less intelligent for reading it ffs
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:17 pm

MW wrote:This is a ridiculous website and I'm a little less intelligent for being part of it ffs

EFA
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Psyber » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:02 pm

The problem with all this discussion is that life is not fair, and physical ageing is not the same for us all, nor directly related to chronological age.

I know people who have given up driving at 50 due to deteriorating reflexes and cognition and did the right thing doing so, but my lady's mother is doing fine at 85, and a mate of mine had a mother who used to roar across the Nullarbor in her Mercedes in her 90s. (She lived in Kleve.) I've also met a guy who took flying lessons and passed the testing to get a pilot's licence in his early 80s,and my first cousin is still running his farm himself near Dubbo at 96.

I'm lucky that my physiology is holding up well at 74 - no serious illness and no cognitive impairment - and reflexes still good. Most people take me by my appearance as being in my early 50s, as my physique is holding up and my hair is still brown except at the temples. This is a family trait - my mother was neither frail nor grey haired when she died at 98, but she had suffered cognitive impairment for about 8 years.

Statistics are about averages and means, and can only be a very rough guide.

An example of how statistics can be misleading is one I deal with in my medical locum work. In all states governments have developed a passion for reducing bed numbers in public hospitals to cut costs and offer statistics that show patient admissions and discharges are working and most stays are short. It all looks quite successful until you realise that these are not all new patients but the same ones being discharged prematurely to make room for new admissions via the ED, and turning up again in the same state again in about 2 weeks, thus clogging up Ambulance services and the EDs.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:28 pm

Wedgie wrote:Road deaths are irrelevent, its the deaths caused per time spent on the road that concerns me.
My friend that died in her lounge room watching tv when an elderly driver drove through her wall mistaking his accelerator for his brake and similar accidents concern me.
Despite having a full time job, being an only child and kids I managed to look after my old man so he could avoid being on the road after the age of 70. Peoples cognitive skills, awareness and reflexes just aren't up to it and so innocent people don't die in their lounge rooms its a familys responsibility to keep them off the road. I am aware Im much more community minded and less self centred than most people so there will always be disagreements on the issue.

On a related issue Ive been involved in 4 accidents over almost 30 years, 3 were caused by elderly people doing the wrong thing, 1 was a young girl on her Ps going up my arse. One of the elderly blokes couldnt even read his license he was that blind and that was on a 100km/hr road with lots of traffic.
One woman reversed out of her driveway into me. I managed to swerve to the wrong side of the road after assessing it was safe to do so but she still managed to hit me even though she didnt need to come out that far to go in the direction she planned to go. She told me she was very deaf and couldn't hear my horn.

I'm sick of it and won't allow it to happen to others.

Was this an accident or a lewd sex act?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby MW » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:31 pm

well she was on her Ps so maybe the favour was reciprocated?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Spargo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:39 pm

MW wrote:well she was on her Ps so maybe the favour was reciprocated?

=D>
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Corona Man » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:02 pm

I had to think about it for a second...... well played MW!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:06 pm

X_X
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Psyber » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:56 am

Moving on...

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/cleanest-hist ... 10767.html

Over half of diesel cars recently approved for sale in Europe are emitting pollutants far above current legal air pollution limits, despite being marketed as the “cleanest in history”. Analysis of emissions data from nearly 100 car models revealed many vehicles from the new “Euro 6” generation would not be allowed on the market if they were tested today. An investigation by Greenpeace found dozens of these high-polluting vehicles were approved for sale during a “monitoring period” in which there was no limit set on the amount of nitrogen oxide (NOx) they could emit on roads. Many of these vehicles have only gone on sale across Europe in the recent months.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby the milky bar kid » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:13 am

the milky bar kid wrote:
tipper wrote:as far as i am concerned HH3 that is real car talk. well done :)

Yeah, I agree, my talks are purely pipe dreams & plans!

Looking back and laughing at my old car chat today after letting go of the Valiant project three weeks ago after deciding it was just too big for me…
I’d prepared myself for a life without a cruiser, but then literally two weeks after selling the Valiant picked up a real decent deal on an old wagon.
So after a years of kidding myself with a project, early next year I should be out and enjoying the streets with the family wagon. :D
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby the milky bar kid » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:29 pm

the milky bar kid wrote:Looking back and laughing at my old car chat today after letting go of the Valiant project three weeks ago after deciding it was just too big for me…
I’d prepared myself for a life without a cruiser, but then literally two weeks after selling the Valiant picked up a real decent deal on an old wagon.
So after a years of kidding myself with a project, early next year I should be out and enjoying the streets with the family wagon. :D

Update, I’m not sure how something can be shipped 1700kms in 3 days via two depots and then sit in the final depot for 4 days plus (I’m waiting for the call) so it can travel the final 11kms… :roll:
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Motoring/Motorsport