Mazda 3 Maxx Sports

Cars, V8 racing, F1 racing, motorbikes, vintage, new, mechanical

Mazda 3 Maxx Sports

Postby Wedgie » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:32 am

Looking at buying a secondhand one as a second car mainly for my or my daughters use.
Never had much experience with Mazda's so I was just wondering peoples experiences with them.
Going to fork out 12-15k so should get something half decent with less than 100k on the clock.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Re: Mazda 3 Maxx Sports

Postby dedja » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:28 am

I bought a new Mazda 3 SP23 in 2004 ... has never missed a beat.

The Max is the next model down.

Would highly recommend it.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby mickey » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:52 am

What the stig said...

Had a 2006 model and it was perfect. Especially if your looking at 1 for a 1st car
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 312 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby kickinit » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:56 pm

from what i've heard there pretty good but can be a bit pricey on parts.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:28 pm

My girlfriend had one. Looked good in black with 17" mags and I loved the exhaust note. Downsides, expensive to service, wore out tyres like you wouldn't believe and I hated the gear change. She traded it for a diesel turbo Fiesta which is a real goer and cheap to run and service.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby dedja » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:41 pm

Being a front wheel drive you need to rotate regularly and make sure pressures are always correct, but OK if you do.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:29 am

Cheers for the info, I've heard the same about parts. Hmmmm, perhaps I should consider a Focus or Lancer or something else?
Also need advice on if I should get a hatch or sedan, I'm thinking the sedans boot would be good to hide bodies but the hatch would hold an esky better.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby dedja » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:49 am

I've got a sedan and whilst it's a good size, the boot opening is tight*.

Parts will always be more expensive with a fully imported car.
dedja
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:05 am

Cheers!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby kickinit » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:17 pm

Wedgie wrote:Cheers for the info, I've heard the same about parts. Hmmmm, perhaps I should consider a Focus or Lancer or something else?
Also need advice on if I should get a hatch or sedan, I'm thinking the sedans boot would be good to hide bodies but the hatch would hold an esky better.

mum had one of the first focus and they where even worse for the price of parts. But in saying that it has been out longer now so the price of them should of come down. It seems though as most small cars are not made here they jack the price up on spares.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby Sky Pilot » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:22 pm

Sorry about the error in my prev post. Meant to say Focus instead of Fiesta
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby Wedgie » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:04 pm

Just went for a drive in a new focus sports, very comfortable like most fords tend to be.
Decisions decisions!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby kickinit » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:53 pm

Ill give you a run down ony mums focus. Bolts missing front and rear bumpers, front actually came off and had to be replaced. Trans had to be rebuilt within 12months, and when it was getting done there where 4 others with the same issue. All disc and pads had to be replaced in 6 months. Tyre a had to be replaced at the same tim. Air con compressor had to be replaced just outside of warranty, the price was 2,500 just for the part not including labor, ended up going with a second hand one. First we thought it was a lemon but when it went every time there where others there getting things done
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby HH3 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:55 pm

kickinit wrote:Ill give you a run down ony mums focus. Bolts missing front and rear bumpers, front actually came off and had to be replaced. Trans had to be rebuilt within 12months, and when it was getting done there where 4 others with the same issue. All disc and pads had to be replaced in 6 months. Tyre a had to be replaced at the same tim. Air con compressor had to be replaced just outside of warranty, the price was 2,500 just for the part not including labor, ended up going with a second hand one. First we thought it was a lemon but when it went every time there where others there getting things done

What year did hers come out? Late 90's?
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby heater31 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:07 pm

kickinit wrote:Ill give you a run down ony mums focus. Bolts missing front and rear bumpers, front actually came off and had to be replaced. Trans had to be rebuilt within 12months, and when it was getting done there where 4 others with the same issue. All disc and pads had to be replaced in 6 months. Tyre a had to be replaced at the same tim. Air con compressor had to be replaced just outside of warranty, the price was 2,500 just for the part not including labor, ended up going with a second hand one. First we thought it was a lemon but when it went every time there where others there getting things done

Did you buy new?

My mum has an 04 Focus and never had any of those issues. Drives on open highways at least 3 times per week and regularly on dirt roads.

Only thing I hate about it is the turning indicators are the reverse of every other road car my family own.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby kickinit » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:12 pm

Yep brand new first one in Adelaide. She had the 2.0ltr. It was actually the first ford I like to drive, except the indicators. 2ltr had plenty of guts in it and felt very comfortable driving on the open road.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby HH3 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:17 pm

heater31 wrote:

Did you buy new?

My mum has an 04 Focus and never had any of those issues. Drives on open highways at least 3 times per week and regularly on dirt roads.

Only thing I hate about it is the turning indicators are the reverse of every other road car my family own.

Yeah I just downgraded from an FG XR6 to a 2007 Focus (previous shape to the current ones) and the indicators got me a few times...shit my pants when the window wipers came on at full pelt as im turning :lol:

Definately a downgrade from the big V6, but slowly getting to like it. Main thing is getting used to driving a manual again.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby HH3 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:17 pm

kickinit wrote:Yep brand new first one in Adelaide. She had the 2.0ltr. It was actually the first ford I like to drive, except the indicators. 2ltr had plenty of guts in it and felt very comfortable driving on the open road.

So you like it? I got the jist you didnt from the last post. They're good little cars.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby kickinit » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:25 pm

Yeh I loved driving it, only problem was we had a heap of problem with it. Luckily most of them where covered by warranty.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby Wedgie » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:59 pm

Hmm, got in a new Mazda 3 Maxx Sports this morning and wasn't as comfortable as I am in an equivelant Focus.
Mazda 6 felt pretty good though. The hassles of having long legs!
Not sure what I'll do now, tempted to go Mazda 3 if I go 2nd hand and Focus if I go knew, might even look at the Mazda 6 now. But the Mazda 6 doesn't have a hatch! Argh!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Next

Board index   General Talk  Motoring/Motorsport