Engine longevity: Truck v Car

Cars, V8 racing, F1 racing, motorbikes, vintage, new, mechanical

Engine longevity: Truck v Car

Postby westozfalcon » Mon May 06, 2013 10:33 pm

What is it about truck engines that they can go for hundreds of thousands of kilometres and still be in good nick?

I'm find it amazing that a truck buyer will have no qualms paying good money for a Hino or Isuzu of say 2-5t payload that has done over 200,000 clicks, yet most people would avoid a car with the same mileage like the plague.

I can only imagine that truck motors have better quality metal in their engine blocks and components.

Why can't car manufacturers produce car motors that have the same lifespan?
westozfalcon
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 28 times

Re: Engine longevity: Truck v Car

Postby mick » Tue May 07, 2013 10:49 am

westozfalcon wrote:What is it about truck engines that they can go for hundreds of thousands of kilometres and still be in good nick?

I'm find it amazing that a truck buyer will have no qualms paying good money for a Hino or Isuzu of say 2-5t payload that has done over 200,000 clicks, yet most people would avoid a car with the same mileage like the plague.

I can only imagine that truck motors have better quality metal in their engine blocks and components.

Why can't car manufacturers produce car motors that have the same lifespan?

The reason truck engines last so long is that they are generally diesel, a diesel engine in a car will last a similar length of time as a truck engine.
mick
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby gadj1976 » Tue May 07, 2013 1:21 pm

I agree with Mick. Isn't it also because trucks are used for longer journeys instead of the stop start nature of a car.

Our car at home gets used for 3-5km trips all the time.

I understand that that type of travel isn't ideal for a car at all.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Booney » Mon May 13, 2013 4:08 pm

Diesel is certainly an important factor.

Gearing, to allow lower and higher range when required eases burden on the engine, putting more emphasis on the gear box.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby kickinit » Sun May 19, 2013 11:29 pm

bigest part to it is the stop start. metal expands under and it contracts when cooling down. Most people don't drive their car all day no stop, most just drive to work and back. So basically they get to work and the engine components have expanded due to heat, while at work it cools down. On the drive home same thing again, so basically for most people this is happening twice daily. For trucks they usually don't get to cool down until they have finished for the day. Some mines i've been on dump trucks run 24/7 until they have to have repairs done, usually they will have a couple of spares to use when work is being done, but generally the ones getting work done become spares once they are ready to go. It could be a few weeks before they cool down.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Board index   General Talk  Motoring/Motorsport