The Bend Motorsport Park

Cars, V8 racing, F1 racing, motorbikes, vintage, new, mechanical

Re: The Bend Motorsport Park

Postby heater31 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:39 pm

Jim05 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:What is involved with certification?

Surely if you can certify city streets you can certify most places if you want?

Yeah to get to Grade 1 which is required for F1 it's just a stack of paperwork and several circuit checks including simulation. It can be done and many tracks worldwide are Grade 1 compliant that don't hold F1 events.
The F1's aren't moving from Melbourne in the near future in any case
From what I can gather more safety features (an on site medical centre?), a stack of money & paperwork but I'm guessing they can upgrade when they feel the time is right.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:52 pm

Seems like something they don’t need to worry about. Wasted money unless they think it’s a chance they can get the F1.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Jim05 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:56 pm

bennymacca wrote:Seems like something they don’t need to worry about. Wasted money unless they think it’s a chance they can get the F1.

Always good to get the certification but zero chance of ever getting F1 there
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby tigerpie » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:59 pm

bennymacca wrote:What is involved with certification?

Surely if you can certify city streets you can certify most places if you want?

Greenbacks.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Bandit » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:34 pm

Cant wait for this but moreso cant wait until Top Fuel drag racing is being held there.

Will be so good to finally have a top notch facility for multiple motorsport categories rather than the run-down venues currently available in SA.
Extend The Dukes
Bandit
Under 18s

Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 105 times

Postby tigerpie » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:13 pm

It is going to be great.
Not sure where mallala fits in but the shahins own both so they must have a plan.
Looking forward to seeing the track layout for the v8s.
It won't be the whole 7 k's will it?
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby Jase » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:27 pm

For someone who has an occasional interest in supercars etc, but do like watching the GP's it isn't exactly conducive to attracting new spectators is it. Tailem Bend is a fair old trek...

I'm sure it will be awesome but just seems a long way out of town...

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1476 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:38 pm

Jase wrote:For someone who has an occasional interest in supercars etc, but do like watching the GP's it isn't exactly conducive to attracting new spectators is it. Tailem Bend is a fair old trek...

No different to some of the great tracks and facilities in Europe they are in the middle of nowhere......except probably Monza that is in a suburban park in Northern Milan
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:40 pm

heater31 wrote:
Jase wrote:For someone who has an occasional interest in supercars etc, but do like watching the GP's it isn't exactly conducive to attracting new spectators is it. Tailem Bend is a fair old trek...

No different to some of the great tracks and facilities in Europe they are in the middle of nowhere......except probably Monza that is in a suburban park in Northern Milan

Or even Bathurst for that matter
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Jase » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:40 pm

heater31 wrote:

Yeah I get that, as I said I'm an occasional watcher and I just think that there is actually nothing out there...

Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1476 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby Bandit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:22 pm

The occasional watcher will surely find it easier to go to Clipsal - no doubt. But Tailem Bend is only 1 hr from the tollgate, a lot of people would have similar daily work commutes.

There will be a lot of "city-types" that wont go due to the distance but I think the place will be a success because there is a large motorsport community in SA that have been hanging out for something of this scale for a long time.

@tigerpie it is interesting that Shahins bought Mallala too - no idea on what upgrades they plan out there though. I understand that Tailem Bend will cater for Bikes, Drift & Track days etc which is Mallalas main events at the moment. Perhaps having the second venue allows more cross promotion of events. The guys I know who attend/race at Mallala will definitely attend Tailem Bend.
Extend The Dukes
Bandit
Under 18s

Postby tipper » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:13 pm

Bandit wrote:The occasional watcher will surely find it easier to go to Clipsal - no doubt. But Tailem Bend is only 1 hr from the tollgate, a lot of people would have similar daily work commutes.

There will be a lot of "city-types" that wont go due to the distance but I think the place will be a success because there is a large motorsport community in SA that have been hanging out for something of this scale for a long time.

@tigerpie it is interesting that Shahins bought Mallala too - no idea on what upgrades they plan out there though. I understand that Tailem Bend will cater for Bikes, Drift & Track days etc which is Mallalas main events at the moment. Perhaps having the second venue allows more cross promotion of events. The guys I know who attend/race at Mallala will definitely attend Tailem Bend.

myself and some friends are already planning on heading to the supercars at tailem next year.

bit of a unique situation though, my inlaws are only about 20 minutes from there, so they will wake up one morning to my camper set up in one of their paddocks :) free camp there and it is a much easier commute to and from the track. hell, the brother inlaw will probably come too.
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:19 pm

I'm up there for a look see tomorrow, will report back when I've had a look.

It's probably easier to access than Mallala, too. 1 hour from the Toll Gate on Freeway almost all the way, easy going. The camp sites are going to be like your average caravan park with powered sites and amenities blocks so I reckon plenty of people will bunker down for one night. Drive up Saturday morning and home Sunday night after the race. If not an hour home, the Mrs can do some driving for a change.

Mallala, I'm not sure what to make of that. I'm sure they (Shahin's) will use it for some personal entertainment at some stage but will still need marshalls etc so it might be a more "run what you brung" type set up.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:22 pm

bennymacca wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Or even Bathurst for that matter

200km from Sydney to Bathurst and the one time I drove it ( almost Bathurst, Marrangaroo just past Lithgow - interesting breed up there I can tell you ) it was nearly 3 hours to there, Bathurst was another 30 or 40k's on.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:41 pm

Bandit wrote:The occasional watcher will surely find it easier to go to Clipsal - no doubt. But Tailem Bend is only 1 hr from the tollgate, a lot of people would have similar daily work commutes.

They might turn it in to a market garden maybe lol.
I don't see how maintaining both could be feasible.
Anyways I think the bend is going to be great for Motorsport of all kinds in this state.
I'm there for sure next year. Trying to convince the missus it would be great camping for the weekend.
At this point,...... not winning!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:29 pm

Great way to spend a Friday morning!

The Bend is going to be something really special when finished I think. The bare bones are well in place with the pits and hotel section tilt slabs in place, most of the track is "carved" out, some of it has temporary bitumen laid on it and from the second level you get a real good look at the track(s) lay out.

The camp grounds haven't got anything on them yet, the OTR across the road ( not a happy talking point with locals ) is well underway too.

I'll try and get some pics up later.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:36 pm

Is it on/near the main road?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Bandit » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:18 pm

Have a chat with the Coonalpyn locals - their servo is being removed all together to avoid competition. Will have to drive to Tinty for fuel
Extend The Dukes
Bandit
Under 18s

Postby Booney » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:24 pm

bennymacca wrote:Is it on/near the main road?

Go through Tailem Bend, over the bridge about 2k's on, the next corner is the OTR and across the road is the track.

The pit building would be 800m-1km from the main road.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:24 pm

Bandit wrote:Have a chat with the Coonalpyn locals - their servo is being removed all together to avoid competition. Will have to drive to Tinty for fuel

Yep, I know. The Peregrine group brought the Coonalpyn servo and promptly closed it. Poor form, not a good way to treat people on the land.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Motoring/Motorsport