Motorsport of choice

Cars, V8 racing, F1 racing, motorbikes, vintage, new, mechanical

Re: Motorsport of choice

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:45 am

bennymacca wrote:
Booney wrote:'94, Benetton Ford was the last time either Mercedes, Ferrari or Renault did not win the F1 Championship.22 years ago. Bit like the EPL! :lol:

8 of the last 11 flags have been Hawthorn, Sydney, Geelong, and 15 out of the last 22 grand finalists have been those three teams plus west coast.

Not that its as bad as these other sports but its not exactly rosy in the afl either

Off track, but prior to that "Sydney" were 70 odd years and Geelong 40 odd. Hardly a monopoly.

22 Grand Finalists is only 11 years, a fairly small sample.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby heater31 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:45 am

Booney wrote:'94, Benetton Ford was the last time either Mercedes, Ferrari or Renault did not win the F1 Championship.22 years ago. Bit like the EPL! [emoji38]

They shouldn't have won't it if some box head German didn't let his ego get in the way ;)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:13 am

Is anyone here familiar with the old 24 Hour trials that used to be ( may still be ) held around the June long weekend in the Barossa and surrounding districts?

As a kid my step-Dad was involved with the Elizabeth Motor Cycle club and they were charged with manning a check point on the run. The race started at Kapunda Oval at 12 noon Saturday and went through until 12 noon Sunday. The competitors, on bikes and bike/sidecars, would only complete 3 laps of the circuit in that time. We had a check point between Eudunda and a place called Neales Flat, we stayed on the same patch of land not far from a cutting/gorge that the bikes had a hell of a time getting through.

We'd camp in a wooded area and walk to the cutting/gorge for some entertainment during the day. Good memories.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:15 am

**** me. It's still a going concern.... http://24hrtrial.com/web/
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby the milky bar kid » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:58 pm

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
Booney wrote:F1's lost me years ago when they became so detached from what is a car that they no longer seemed real. Plus, like the EPL, you have the "have" and "have not" teams and if you don't "have" enough money, you aren't in it. Obviously take an interest in the sport, especially with such a likable bloke as Ricciardo in the game.

The V8 Supercars would be my preferred and most watched form of motor racing, with the GP bikes right up there with them.

I am probably the opposite to this, F1s is the only form of racing i really take an interest in. Probably because of my engineering background, I love the technology aspect of it and how far they can push the performance of the cars. The racing does get pretty boring on occasion though so I certainly see people's point

I appreciate the "cars" for what they are, remarkable pieces of engineering. The problem I have with the series is the constant shuffling of rules, specifications etc that endeavor to keep the format as even as possible. It doesn't work. The rich just engineer closer to the line than the not so rich and ultimately there's only Mercedes, Renault or Ferrari are the only championship winners.

Here's a pop quiz, without Googling, when was the last time one of the above 3 manufacturers did not win the F1 drivers championship?

Whilst they are remarkable pieces of engineering, personally I'd like to see the emphasis on aerodynamics stripped right back (ie wings drastically simplified & removed). In my opinion the removal of a degree of dirty air would greatly increase passing.

As for engine manufacturers, yes the same manufacturers seem to get up, but it's been spread around teams. Apart from Honda's latest effort, most the engine efforts have been pretty token in comparison to the efforts of the Mercedes, Renault or Ferrari.
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Ian » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:58 am

Booney wrote:Is anyone here familiar with the old 24 Hour trials that used to be ( may still be ) held around the June long weekend in the Barossa and surrounding districts?

It was run by the Gawler River Motorcycle club and sponsored by the News, a family that was heavily involved with the club moved to Coonalpyn when I was a kid there, the Long family, between them they had a lot of success in both the solos and outfits and also hosted a Enduro each year on their, and their neighbour's properties just out of Coonalpyn
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby cracka » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:27 pm

Ian wrote:
Booney wrote:Is anyone here familiar with the old 24 Hour trials that used to be ( may still be ) held around the June long weekend in the Barossa and surrounding districts?

It was run by the Gawler River Motorcycle club and sponsored by the News, a family that was heavily involved with the club moved to Coonalpyn when I was a kid there, the Long family, between them they had a lot of success in both the solos and outfits and also hosted a Enduro each year on their, and their neighbour's properties just out of Coonalpyn

The son, Ivan Long, was on the same team as Toby Price for a couple of years.
Shane Diener won the 24hr about 10 times.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Motorsport of choice

Postby RustyCage » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:32 am

Booney wrote:'94, Benetton Ford was the last time either Mercedes, Ferrari or Renault did not win the F1 Championship.22 years ago. Bit like the EPL! :lol:

When is the last time a car ran with anything other than a Mercedes, Renault, Ferrari, Ford or Honda engine though?
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby RustyCage » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:34 am

There's only been 10 constructors championships won by a different engine.

Climax - 4
Repco - 2
TAG - 2
Vanwall - 1
BRM - 1
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby HH3 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:51 pm

Im really enjoying the FIA World RX Champonship this year. The cars are insane, and some of the best drivers in the world race door to door every week. Solberg, Block, Loeb.

Its streamed live and free on Youtube every second Sunday night, so its really accessible. Ive set it up to notify me when its about to start.

All of the streamed events are there to watch whenever you want.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:59 pm

Motorboats.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:28 pm

Scooter racing
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:40 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Motorboats.

Who found the motoring section today?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MatteeG » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:29 pm

Stadium Super Trucks for me.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:18 am

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Motorboats.

Who found the motoring section today?

HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Psyber » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:50 am

In my youth my favourite motor sport, and the only one I was ever into much, involved a discreetly parked stationary car and a back seat. ;)

I did go to Rowley Park a couple of times with older, and more interested, family members when I was about 10, but the only motor sport event I ever attended thereafter was Adelaide's last Grand Prix - but only because I was invited and got in free, (I only stayed about 40 minutes...)

I did once take up the chance to crack the 240kph barrier on a track.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:03 pm

Scalextric was always the best track race. Hot wheels had more excitement but was a one way street which was always a let down.
Aurora tried hard but against the Scalextric it was alway like comparing a matchbox to a corgi.

Other than that I’m with Lightning. I always liked this little Tugboats in the park where you had to put 50p in the slot, unless you got the one that wouldn’t steer and you could only go back and forward. That was a bummer
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby HH3 » Thu May 09, 2019 11:15 am

Youtube is a great source for motorsport these days.

I watch every round of the FIA World RX live.

https://www.youtube.com/user/RallycrossRXTV

GT World has heaps of GT racing, including the Blancpain GT series.

https://www.youtube.com/user/gt1world

And last night I realised the DTM is free on Youtube now. Watched both races of Hockenheim from the weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DTMinternational
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Previous

Board index   General Talk  Motoring/Motorsport