Is everyone into Taxi cabs or the F1s?
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Re: Motorsport of choice

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:37 pm

F1's lost me years ago when they became so detached from what is a car that they no longer seemed real. Plus, like the EPL, you have the "have" and "have not" teams and if you don't "have" enough money, you aren't in it. Obviously take an interest in the sport, especially with such a likable bloke as Ricciardo in the game.

The V8 Supercars would be my preferred and most watched form of motor racing, with the GP bikes right up there with them.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby the milky bar kid » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:15 pm

Booney wrote:F1's lost me years ago when they became so detached from what is a car that they no longer seemed real. Plus, like the EPL, you have the "have" and "have not" teams and if you don't "have" enough money, you aren't in it. Obviously take an interest in the sport, especially with such a likable bloke as Ricciardo in the game.

The V8 Supercars would be my preferred and most watched form of motor racing, with the GP bikes right up there with them.

Can't disagree with that too much. Used to love the V8s but in my opinion seems to have gone down the slightly sanitized path, plus the transfer to pay tv.

Personally, can't beat a warm summers night at the skids getting filthy, breathing in methanol & watching 410s.
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Postby Booney » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:42 am

the milky bar kid wrote:
Booney wrote:F1's lost me years ago when they became so detached from what is a car that they no longer seemed real. Plus, like the EPL, you have the "have" and "have not" teams and if you don't "have" enough money, you aren't in it. Obviously take an interest in the sport, especially with such a likable bloke as Ricciardo in the game.

Can't disagree with that too much. Used to love the V8s but in my opinion seems to have gone down the slightly sanitized path, plus the transfer to pay tv.

Personally, can't beat a warm summers night at the skids getting filthy, breathing in methanol & watching 410s.

You been to Murray Bridge?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby the milky bar kid » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:15 am

Booney wrote:
the milky bar kid wrote:

You been to Murray Bridge?

Yeah, I've been up for the 3 USC rounds this season. Been a few times over the years. You?
Haven't been to the rebranded AMP, but went their last season for 2-3 shows.
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Postby HH3 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:48 am

I prefer touring cars.

I'm planning on entering Circuit Excel SA once my body doesn't want me to play contact sport anymore.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Wedgie » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:42 am

V8s for sure. F1 is so boring and one bingle and they're out.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby the milky bar kid » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:16 pm

On V8's am I the only one who enjoys watching the Dunlop series more than the main game?
The drivers aren't as conservative & are more willing to have a crack!
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Postby Ian » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:55 pm

If it's got more than 2 wheels it's too many, nothing else offers close action packed racing like motor bikes, MotoGP, WSBK's, Historics, local Super Bikes, it doesn't matter, they all offer great racing.

My interest in F1 disappeared years ago, V8's have gone to the dogs as well IMHO and it looks like it's going to get much worse before (if) it recovers
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby bennymacca » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:43 am

I am probably the opposite to this, F1s is the only form of racing i really take an interest in. Probably because of my engineering background, I love the technology aspect of it and how far they can push the performance of the cars. The racing does get pretty boring on occasion though so I certainly see people's point
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Wedgie » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:32 pm

bennymacca wrote:

I am probably the opposite to this, F1s is the only form of racing i really take an interest in. Probably because of my engineering background, I love the technology aspect of it and how far they can push the performance of the cars. The racing does get pretty boring on occasion though so I certainly see people's point

I can appreciate that, I have a lot of friends who mention the same reasons.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:11 am

bennymacca wrote:

I appreciate the "cars" for what they are, remarkable pieces of engineering. The problem I have with the series is the constant shuffling of rules, specifications etc that endeavor to keep the format as even as possible. It doesn't work. The rich just engineer closer to the line than the not so rich and ultimately there's only Mercedes, Renault or Ferrari are the only championship winners.

Here's a pop quiz, without Googling, when was the last time one of the above 3 manufacturers did not win the F1 drivers championship?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby heater31 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:27 am

Red Bull are not a car manufacturer.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:04 am

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

I appreciate the "cars" for what they are, remarkable pieces of engineering. The problem I have with the series is the constant shuffling of rules, specifications etc that endeavor to keep the format as even as possible. It doesn't work. The rich just engineer closer to the line than the not so rich and ultimately there's only Mercedes, Renault or Ferrari are the only championship winners.

Here's a pop quiz, without Googling, when was the last time one of the above 3 manufacturers did not win the F1 drivers championship?

Would say Honda back in the early 90's with McLaren?
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby bennymacca » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:31 am

Im pretty sure the Mclarens Hamilton won championships in were hondas.

Button also won a championship with BAR which was a honda?

I think. But now i will google :D

edit: nope, they were both mercedes (and BAR was Braun at the time too)
Last edited by bennymacca on Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:31 am

heater31 wrote:Red Bull are not a car manufacturer.....

Never mentioned Red Bull. Mercedes, Renault or Ferrari.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:32 am

Jim and bennymacca both wrong.

Jim about right with the year.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:34 am

Booney wrote:Jim and bennymacca both wrong.

Jim about right with the year.

just looked it up, one of Schumacher's wins in a Benneton was Ford (then they switched to renault the following year)
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:36 am

'94, Benetton Ford was the last time either Mercedes, Ferrari or Renault did not win the F1 Championship.22 years ago. Bit like the EPL! :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:42 am

Booney wrote:'94, Benetton Ford was the last time either Mercedes, Ferrari or Renault did not win the F1 Championship.22 years ago. Bit like the EPL! :lol:

8 of the last 11 flags have been Hawthorn, Sydney, Geelong, and 15 out of the last 22 grand finalists have been those three teams plus west coast.

Not that its as bad as these other sports but its not exactly rosy in the afl either
bennymacca
Coach

Next

Board index   General Talk  Motoring/Motorsport