V8 Super Cars gone in 2018

Cars, V8 racing, F1 racing, motorbikes, vintage, new, mechanical

V8 Super Cars gone in 2018

Postby Dog_ger2 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:25 pm

Turbo 6's only.

Aussie motor sport will never be the same.

It disappeared with the loss of GMH and Ford.

Everything front wheel drive...

Come to the Clipsal in 2018.... Why?

No Aussie manufactures??
Dog_ger2
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 17 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury North

Re: V8 Super Cars gone in 2018

Postby Psyber » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:25 pm

That's a relief. I was delighted to have the old Grand Prix gone thanks to Lynn Arnold.
Then I moved to Melbourne, but fortunately lived far enough away from South Melbourne to not have to have my life disrupted by it.

I love driving, but get nothing out of watching.
(Ditto with many other activities...)
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Dogwatcher » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:28 am

FWIW, I don't know how true this is, but Holden as a brand will be gone once the Elizabeth plant shuts down. We'll all be driving Chevy's soon - if my source is correct.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby tigerpie » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:09 am

Psyber wrote:That's a relief. I was delighted to have the old Grand Prix gone thanks to Lynn Arnold.
Then I moved to Melbourne, but fortunately lived far enough away from South Melbourne to not have to have my life disrupted by it.

You are entitled to an opinion even if it is an extremely narrow minded one.
Having the gp here put us on the map internationally. It generated big dollars for our state.
The libs wouldn't commit and Melbourne jumped all over it.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby GWW » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:17 am

Im not a motor sport fan at all, but give credit to the people who organised the Adelaide GP.

The Melbourne GP appears to generate such miniscule interest in comparison, does it even still exist.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Psyber » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:12 pm

tigerpie wrote:
Psyber wrote:That's a relief. I was delighted to have the old Grand Prix gone thanks to Lynn Arnold.

You are entitled to an opinion even if it is an extremely narrow minded one.
Having the gp here put us on the map internationally. It generated big dollars for our state.
The libs wouldn't commit and Melbourne jumped all over it.

Lyn Arnold (ALP) was Premier when it went to Melbourne, and very sensibly ignored those who wanted him to try to retain it.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-13/s ... ix/6279660

So when the announcement was made in December 1993 that Adelaide's Grand Prix would be moving east to Melbourne, it sent shockwaves through the community.
Former South Australian premier Dean Brown remembers the day well - the then Liberal leader had just won the state election.
"The day after I'd been sworn in I received a telephone call from Ron Walker and Ron said 'I must come and see you'," Mr Brown said.
"I said 'can't this wait' and he said 'no I think I should come and see you as soon as possible'."
The next day he met Mr Walker, who revealed a piece of paper showing the Victorian government had won the rights to host the Formula One Grand Prix.

The contract had been signed almost a year earlier under a veil of secrecy.

Mr Walker, a Victorian businessman, had been at Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone for years about bringing the Grand Prix to Melbourne.

"What was happening in South Australia at the time was a lack of either side of politics to lead, worried about the impact it might have on their constituency."

That made sense - there was controversy in Melbourne too - all the residents in the South Melbourne/Albert Park area hated it once it got there too and ran a continuing campaign to get rid of it. Here and there only about 10% of the population ever attended so it wasn't a majority supported interest. (My wife and I attended the last Adelaide one - only because we got in free and it was the last - and we left after about 45 minutes out of boredom.)

My view is that motor racing, like horse and dog racing, belongs only in the areas where the fans of that sort of thing live so it doesn't disrupt the lives of the rest of us... :twisted:
Psyber
Coach

Postby RustyCage » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:59 pm

What was the advantage of us losing the F1? Apart from personally selfish reasons?
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Psyber » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:27 pm

RustyCage wrote:What was the advantage of us losing the F1? Apart from personally selfish reasons?

Purely self-interest on all sides!

- some people made money out of it.
- some didn't.
- some lost money due to disruption of their businesses in the area.
- about 10% of the population of Adelaide attended each time and that included interstate visitors - so well less than 10% of Adelaidians attended.
- everybody else here was inconvenienced every time.

At the time I lived in the hills and worked in North Adelaide - it was pure hell stretching my travelling time substantially - so much so that in the end I simply stopped working during GP week and took the financial loss.
Psyber
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:54 pm

You sound like a north Adelaide resident psyber:)
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Jim05 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:14 pm

GWW wrote:Im not a motor sport fan at all, but give credit to the people who organised the Adelaide GP.

The Melbourne GP appears to generate such miniscule interest in comparison, does it even still exist.

Yes, I'll be there next weekend.
Wish it was still here but it's not to be
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Psyber » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:12 am

bennymacca wrote:You sound like a north Adelaide resident psyber:)

As I said above your post I quote: "At the time I lived in the hills and worked in North Adelaide..."
Psyber
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:06 pm

Yep Benny one of "those". Oval lights, Victoria park,I wonder?
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby tipper » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:12 am

Dog_ger2 wrote:Turbo 6's only.

Aussie motor sport will never be the same.

It disappeared with the loss of GMH and Ford.

Everything front wheel drive...

Come to the Clipsal in 2018.... Why?

No Aussie manufactures??

i think ill regret answering one of doggers posts, but here we go anyway...

the teams will still have the option of running V8's, they are just allowing turbo 6, and turbo 4 engines if the racers wish. i believe all of the holden teams will be in twin turbo v6's (as they are all sourcing their cars from 888 racing, who will only be building them with the v6), but there is nothing stopping Ford, Nissan, (or i believe Kia are looking to join) running V8's still. its their choice. just like back in the day of lc toranas, chargers and GT falcons, and dare i say it... minis!

the race cars wont be front wheel drive. they will still have to be rear wheel drive. they run the sam chassis, suspension, brakes, gearbox.... the only difference currently is the engine block and the plastic shell over the top, no different to what it will be next year. and if you mean the road cars being front wheel drive, they havent had anything to do with the race cars for a very long time (years in fact) so its irrelevant.
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby tipper » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:15 am

sadly for you Psyb, the clipsal will still be on, just sponsored by someone else. as far as im aware, the race isnt going anywhere in the near future. they are just opening the rules to allow other engine designs to compete
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby Jase » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:38 am

With regards to the percentage of population stat measuring success of the Grand Prix, I would be interested to know the % of Population that attends the Australian Grand Prix in Victoria.

I suggest it is a fair bit less than 10%.
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1476 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby tipper » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:08 pm

Jase wrote:With regards to the percentage of population stat measuring success of the Grand Prix, I would be interested to know the % of Population that attends the Australian Grand Prix in Victoria.

very quick calculations, melbourne with 4,529,500 in 2015 (according to wiki) and in 2016 the grand prix with 272300 over 4 days (many of which would be the same people going multiple days) is 6%

adelaide in 1995 had 520,000 (again according to wiki) over however many days (and once again, with repeat attendees being counted more than once), and with a population of 1,076,100 (in 1994 according to the abs) gives a percentage of 48% :shock: :shock:

even with a supposed 210,000 on race day alone it is 19.5% of the whole metro population attending on a single day. pretty good i think. although numbers would have been pumped up by it being the last one obviously. i havent found any attendance numbers from other years though.

im not claiming the numbers i have used as gospel btw. i just did a very quick search.
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby Jase » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:56 pm

tipper wrote:
Jase wrote:With regards to the percentage of population stat measuring success of the Grand Prix, I would be interested to know the % of Population that attends the Australian Grand Prix in Victoria.

very quick calculations, melbourne with 4,529,500 in 2015 (according to wiki) and in 2016 the grand prix with 272300 over 4 days (many of which would be the same people going multiple days) is 6%

adelaide in 1995 had 520,000 (again according to wiki) over however many days (and once again, with repeat attendees being counted more than once), and with a population of 1,076,100 (in 1994 according to the abs) gives a percentage of 48% :shock: :shock:

even with a supposed 210,000 on race day alone it is 19.5% of the whole metro population attending on a single day. pretty good i think. although numbers would have been pumped up by it being the last one obviously. i havent found any attendance numbers from other years though.

im not claiming the numbers i have used as gospel btw. i just did a very quick search.

Thanks mate, so I would suggest that the using the stat that less than 10% of SA (Adelaides) population attended the event, is a bloody stupid reason for it to be a failure...

The Grand Prix in Adelaide was an awesome advertisement for the State, but of course it added on a bit of travel time for the eastern suburbs/HIlls elite, so it was a bust...

:butthead:
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1476 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby Psyber » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:07 pm

Grand Prix attendances from 1995 - Wikipedia: Do your own percentage calculation.
My 10% was probably generous overall once the novelty factor wore off...

G prix attendances by year.jpg
G prix attendances by year.jpg (32.76 KiB) Viewed 861 times

In the end it won't bother me much if the V8 race survives really - in my retirement I can easily avoid it
Psyber
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:36 pm

Psyber you are beginning to irritate!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby tipper » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:10 am

Psyber wrote:Grand Prix attendances from 1995 - Wikipedia: Do your own percentage calculation.
My 10% was probably generous overall once the novelty factor wore off...

G prix attendances by year.jpg

In the end it won't bother me much if the V8 race survives really - in my retirement I can easily avoid it

Psyber, your memory is failing you mate. 1995 was the last adelaide Grand Prix. your ten percent is nothing close to the numbers shown for 1995 in that table you posted. from my (dodgy) maths above there was nearly 20% of adelaide in attendance on the last race day here in adelaide. (and i freely admit that would be inflated from previous years as everyone knew it was the last one)

most of that table shows the significantly lower crowds when it moved to melbourne. which once again, from my maths (dodgy again) works out to be a lot less than 10%, of melbournes population, but still a significant number of people.

if you are talking V8 supercar crowds, that is a different kettle of fish. and i have no idea on those numbers (and cant be bothered looking them up) i dare say they are lower than the F1 crowds, but then that is only a national competition, not international. however, it is still successful i would think.

ok, looked it up. V8 crowds have been ok ever since it went to a four day event. https://www.clipsal500.com.au/event_inf ... ce_figures
213,600 in 2003 up to a high of 291,400 in 2008, but regularly up over 260,000. that as a percentage of the population isnt as big as the final year grand prix figure, but still pretty good i think
tipper
League - Top 5

Next

Board index   General Talk  Motoring/Motorsport