smoking

Losing Weight, Health, Body Building, Fitness, Exercising, Nutrition, etc.

Re: smoking

Postby JK » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:39 pm

Gingernuts wrote:One thing I've always found quite bizarre is the link between smoking and a lower socio-economic demographic.

Why is it that the people that need the money the most are the ones that smoke the hardest? Same with drinking and gambling.

I'm sure there's been plenty written about it, I've just never gone out of my way to look it up. My wife is a social worker, I should probably just ask her. :lol:

I think the link is purportedly "esteem issues" mate
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby JK » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:40 pm

A Mum wrote:If you could go back in time would you have taken up smoking?
You're right CP - I would assume most wouldn't.

Damn straight I wouldn't have ma'
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby dedja » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:41 pm

Gingernuts wrote:One thing I've always found quite bizarre is the link between smoking and a lower socio-economic demographic.

Why is it that the people that need the money the most are the ones that smoke the hardest? Same with drinking and gambling.

I'm sure there's been plenty written about it, I've just never gone out of my way to look it up. My wife is a social worker, I should probably just ask her. :lol:

One for the Central lads and lasses to answer?
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby Jase » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:44 pm

dedja wrote:

One for the Central lads and lasses to answer?

:shock:

:)
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1476 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby valleys07 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:01 pm

Gingernuts wrote:My dad goes on and off, mostly on these days. It makes me sad because he has also been obese all his life, and I worry that the combo will mean he won't have much time with future grandkids.

You'd think he'd learn - his dad died of a heart condition linked to smoking, and mum's dad eventually died of emphysema after struggling with it for the last 20 years of his life.

Unfortunately ginger this is where the addition comes into it. My father in law almost lost his life through smoking with asthma, was revived from a coma after about a week, swore he would never touch another cigarette again after having such a close shave, yet a month later was back on the habit as it was too hard to quit. It breaks my fiancees heart but she knows there is nothing she can do.....
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:40 pm

I'm not a smoker, but I don't have a huge issue with people smoking around me unless it is in a closely-enclosed area such as a car.
I feel the banning it from the pub is a step too far. When i go to the pub I should accept that it is expected, as other people are relaxing too.
My uncle died at 37 from smoking and lifestyle related cancer. The same age my Dad was when I was born.
Another uncle has just come out of hospital following cancer surgery and last about a week, but is now back on them. Unbelievable.
Other Aunties and Uncles I have seen their quality of life virtually become non-existent in the last 5-10 years of their lives due to smoking-related illnesses. Slowly become more and more home-bound to the extent that a trip down the street or ten minute car ride is unmanageable.
Luckily my old man gave up smoking when he was in his early twenties, long before I was born. He is now in his early 70's and still does seasonal manual work, the same age some of his brothers and sisters went/are going through the above.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Psyber » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:04 pm

The link between smoking and heart disease was demonstrated in an article published in Lancet in either 1903 or 1907 - I can't recall which but I think it was 1903.
When I found out about that publication early in my medical career, I was amazed how effective the tobacco industry was in staving off government action on this health issue.

Now of course I understand more about governments and tax money, and political parties and donations, and I am no longer amazed. :(
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby valleys07 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:15 pm

Psyber wrote:Now of course I understand more about governments and tax money, and political parties and donations, and I am no longer amazed.

Agree psyber, its a shame that governments are aware of the dangers of smoking, however are only prepared to place health warnings on packets and a few ads on tv to deter smoking due to the income generated through the aforementioned...
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Jase » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:20 pm

My sister in-law has stopped smoking (4 days) after 2 bad asthma attacks...

I thought she a miserable b***h before...

I'm refusing to go back around to their place until she calms down... ;)
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1476 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby JK » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:05 pm

Jase wrote:My sister in-law has stopped smoking (4 days) after 2 bad asthma attacks...

My other half has been off them for 9 days now ... I've been hiding out in my office at work as late as possible and then tip-toeing around the house whenever Im there, it's a frightening experience.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:15 pm

You should give them up now too CP. Good opportunity to be understanding and supportive of each other... :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby JK » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:17 pm

Booney wrote:You should give them up now too CP. Good opportunity to be understanding and supportive of each other... :lol:

I know, I've signed up for a Quit pack and will give it a crack next month, then it will be her turn to feel the wrath
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby mickey » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:36 pm

Constance_Perm wrote:
Jase wrote:My sister in-law has stopped smoking (4 days) after 2 bad asthma attacks...

My other half has been off them for 9 days now ... I've been hiding out in my office at work as late as possible and then tip-toeing around the house whenever Im there, it's a frightening experience.

More time for using work broadband for internet poker :lol:
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 312 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby MagicKiwi » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:41 pm

Yes numbers of smokers has definitely declined and thankfully the kids aren't taking it up. Obesity - the new drain on society's health.
MagicKiwi
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby LBT » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:46 am

5 Days off em today...feeling great... 2 nights at the pub on the weekend, no probs. The new car (no smoking in there) is definately helping me . I am using the Nicotine gum, probably 5 times a day but at $7 for a 15 pack I am happy with that.
LBT
League - Best 21

Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 23 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby stampy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:25 pm

good stuff lbt, keep it up son!
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 331 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby JK » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:12 pm

Yeah well done LBT, keep at it mate!!
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby JK » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:22 pm

7 days off them as of today, longest Ive ever gone in 23 years lol (TBH Ive really only seriously tried quitting twice) ... Surprisingly it hasn't been that tough, although Friday night on Coopers Hill (then the Norwood and Findon Hotels) was the biggest test.

The missus bought me one of those Nicotine puffers which I use every coupla hours I suppose, and that been a good help.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:10 pm

I can answer this mate because it used to be me. When you think you don't have a future and you are young you just don't friggin care. For those who are in the same boat but are older then it's a case of 'hasn't hurt me so far' and later on it's 'ya gotta die of something'.

Job done.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:27 pm

I've just recently started up again after 3 years. I am enjoying it more than ever. ;) And I'm losing that weight I put on when I quit.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Health & Fitness