Cholesterol

Losing Weight, Health, Body Building, Fitness, Exercising, Nutrition, etc.

Re: Cholesterol

Postby Johno6 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:35 pm

thats definately an advantage the eating healthier side of things.
my gf has been very good for me through the whole thing.
shes like the little angel on my shoulder saying what not to eat etc when the devil on my other shoulder is tryin to get me to eat and drink whatever
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:39 pm

When I was hooking into a salad I prepaped last night everyone was pretty keen to have some, it was sensational.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:54 pm

LM, are more general lifestyle rather than necessarily related to diabetes or cholesterol, but some changes I made a couple years ago:
- like you mentioned, cut out virtually all butter or marg, especially where you don't really need it, such as on sandwiches.
- similarly, I now virtually only drink water. Heaps of unneccesary calories and sugar in soft drinks, packaged fruit juices and cordials, especially when you aren't have a drink for any special reason. Would be lucky to average one of these a week.
- Take a piece of fruit to work for morning and afternoon smoko.

These have helped keep the weight down and found they have given me more energy and better attitude to work.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:58 pm

whufc wrote:Flying High,

i will find out for you, i work at the Aquadome in Elizabeth as well as the pools we also have a very large Health Club. Im a membership service officer but have alot of chats to the personal trainers etc etc.

Give me a couple of days and ill get one of the qualified nutritonists to have a look at your list and ill get back to you.

Don't go to too much trouble mate. I was just surprised there were so many on the list, especially some of those fruits higher in sugars. My understanding was that, while obviously a lot better than other foods, most of them still had to be taken into account when considering calorie intake.
Now, something you could find out for me is the number of any of these nutrionisits or personal trainers who may be single ;)
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:05 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:LM, are more general lifestyle rather than necessarily related to diabetes or cholesterol, but some changes I made a couple years ago:
- like you mentioned, cut out virtually all butter or marg, especially where you don't really need it, such as on sandwiches.
- similarly, I now virtually only drink water. Heaps of unneccesary calories and sugar in soft drinks, packaged fruit juices and cordials, especially when you aren't have a drink for any special reason. Would be lucky to average one of these a week.
- Take a piece of fruit to work for morning and afternoon smoko.

These have helped keep the weight down and found they have given me more energy and better attitude to work.

I ate weet-bix before I came to work this morning and brought 3 pieces of fruit with me, I had salad and chicken for lunch. Usually, I don't eat breakfast and if I don't make lunch I'll eat nothing for the day and sometimes pig out when I get home, if I get hungry during the day I'll have a coffee or go for a cigarette. I've had two cups of tea with half a sugar and I purposely left the ciggy's at home so I can't have one.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:45 pm

Good work mate, keep it up :-bd
Like anything, will take a bit of willpower, but after a few weeks will become routine. Good luck.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:52 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:Good work mate, keep it up :-bd
Like anything, will take a bit of willpower, but after a few weeks will become routine. Good luck.

Cheers mate, I'm sort of warming to the idea of eating healthy foods, I had two lite cruskits with cottagew cheese, alfalfa sprouts and cucumber slices as a snack yesterday and thought it tasted pretty good.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby GirlPower74 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:50 pm

Hondo wrote:Have you seen your doctor?

My cholesterol was through the roof and the cause was mainly genetic so even if I cut all fat out of my diet I would still likely have a problem

So I am on Lipitor which took my levels down to acceptable and that's how I manage it. I will be on them for my whole life probably.

I'm exactly the same. I was told I have familial hypercholesterolaemia (which is basically a genetic predisposition to high cholesterol). My total cholesterol was 8.4 when I was 16 (about 20 years ago). I've been on Lipitor for I reckon at least a decade now; and because of that, my total cholesterol is now around the 4.0 to 4.5 mark.
GirlPower74
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Mickyj » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:34 pm

GirlPower74 wrote:

My cholesterol was through the roof and the cause was mainly genetic so even if I cut all fat out of my diet I would still likely have a problem

So I am on Lipitor which took my levels down to acceptable and that's how I manage it. I will be on them for my whole life probably.

I'm exactly the same. I was told I have familial hypercholesterolaemia (which is basically a genetic predisposition to high cholesterol). My total cholesterol was 8.4 when I was 16 (about 20 years ago). I've been on Lipitor for I reckon at least a decade now; and because of that, my total cholesterol is now around the 4.0 to 4.5 mark.

Not saying I have genetic cholesterol as I dont.But recently found out my fathers side has suffered from type 2 diabetes for as I do.Also I suffered from high cholesterol .Was up around 9 many years ago .
So I have been fighting both just found out my cholesterol is down to 4.3 this test yippeeeeeee
Land based Lure Bream Fisherman
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby Psyber » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:12 pm

Cholesterol levels are a much misunderstood issue.
Everyone in health care worries about the total Cholesterol but ignores the high density and low density lipid ratio.
Medicare won't even fund checking the ratio unless the total is high.
Yet you can have a high total with a favourable ratio, or a low total and a bad ratio.
The latter group may not even find out because their ratio may never be tested.

Years ago most doctors were convinced that eating eggs was bad for you because eggs contained high cholesterol levels.
That has now been fully debunked - your Cholesterol level has little to do with diet.

Cholesterol has a use in the body as a form of lubricant.
When you are under stress - physical or mental - natural cortisone levels go up.
That puts up your Cholesterol level and your sugar level in the blood, as well as you blood pressure.
All of this is related to the body's preparation for fight or flight.

It also makes you retain fluid.
[ I am sceptical about the idea that salt intake makes any difference to retaining fluid unless your salt intake is really massive.]

Triglycerides are another matter.
There is more evidence supporting the idea that what you eat influences their levels.

One thing that does worry me is that the entire health industry has become much more obsessed with Cholesterol levels since we have had more drugs that can lower it that the pharmacy industry want to sell..
Levels even insurance companies accepted as normal are now said to be high in the literature.
Comparatively, Triglycerides hardly get a mention...

I am concerned the findings reflect where the grant money is coming from more than anything else.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Barto » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:14 pm

Eat healthy food and you shouldn't have a problem. It concerns me that people dont realise that drinking a litre of coke a day isn't exactly OK. Our bodies aren't meant to fuel themselves on this rubbish.

An interesting one that I've come across in the last few years is people who drink not only the sugary soft drinks, but think nothing of having 2-3 600ml Iced Coffees per day, then wonder why they're overweight and then claim "but I eat healthy food!"

Beer gets a bad rap. A six pack on the weekend shouldn't cause too many issues.

BTW: I've worked in a few gyms as a PT and I've studied nutrition at uni.
It's all the SANFL's fault.
Barto
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:17 pm

KEY TIP

if you are going on a diet/eating healthy make sure it is a diet/eating routine that you can sustain and maintain for a long period.

Allow a time in your week for at least one of your favourite foods even if it isnt healthy, have it at a time when you know you will be doing some cardio afterwards ala Have a whopper for dinner on a thursday night before cricket training, knowing you will burn most of the junk out the system straight afterwards.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby mal » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:47 pm

Whats the difference between Cholesterol and fat ?
Have you ever woken up with a Cholesterol
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby JK » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:15 am

mal wrote:Whats the difference between Cholesterol and fat ?
Have you ever woken up with a Cholesterol

I reckon you were $1.01 with the bookies to be the first to trot that one out mate
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Psyber » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:42 am

For those who wish to more look at this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholesterol
I've quoted a few selected segments below that demonstrate Cholesterol is not all bad.
Cholesterol is a waxy steroid metabolite found in the cell membranes and transported in the blood plasma of all animals.[2] It is an essential structural component of mammalian cell membranes, where it is required to establish proper membrane permeability and fluidity. In addition, cholesterol is an important component for the manufacture of bile acids, steroid hormones, and Vitamin D. Cholesterol is the principal sterol synthesized by animals, but small quantities are synthesized in other eukaryotes, such as plants and fungi. It is almost completely absent among prokaryotes, which include bacteria.[3] Although cholesterol is an important and necessary molecule for animals, a high level of serum cholesterol is an indicator for diseases such as heart disease.[4]...

Since cholesterol is essential for all animal life, it is primarily synthesized from simpler substances within the body...

Given the well-recognized role of cholesterol in cardiovascular disease, it is surprising that some studies have shown an inverse correlation between cholesterol levels and mortality.
A 2009 study of patients with acute coronary syndromes found an association of hypercholesterolemia with better mortality outcomes.[44]

In the Framingham Heart Study, in subjects over 50 years of age they found an 11% increase overall and 14% increase in CVD mortality per 1 mg/dL per year drop in total cholesterol levels. The researchers attributed this phenomenon to the fact that people with severe chronic diseases or cancer tend to have below-normal cholesterol levels.[45] This explanation is not supported by the Vorarlberg Health Monitoring and Promotion Programme, in which men of all ages and women over 50 with very low cholesterol were increasingly likely to die of cancer, liver diseases, and mental diseases. This result indicates that the low-cholesterol effect occurs even among younger respondents, contradicting the previous assessment among cohorts of older people that this is a proxy or marker for frailty occurring with age.[46]

Here is the triglyceride link and snippets: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triglycerides

Triglycerides, as major components of very-low-density lipoprotein (VLDL) and chylomicrons, play an important role in metabolism as energy sources and transporters of dietary fat. They contain more than twice as much energy (9 kcal/g or 38 kJ/g ) as carbohydrates and proteins. In the intestine, triglycerides are split into monoacylglycerol and free fatty acids in a process called lipolysis, with the secretion of lipases and bile, which are subsequently moved to absorptive enterocytes, cells lining the intestines. The triglycerides are rebuilt in the enterocytes from their fragments and packaged together with cholesterol and proteins to form chylomicrons. These are excreted from the cells and collected by the lymph system and transported to the large vessels near the heart before being mixed into the blood...

Diets high in carbohydrates, with carbohydrates accounting for more than 60% of the total caloric intake, can increase triglyceride levels.[3] Of note is how the correlation is stronger for those with higher BMI (28+) and insulin resistance (more common among overweight and obese) is a primary suspect cause of this phenomenon of carbohydrate-induced hypertriglyceridemia.[4]...

There is evidence that carbohydrate consumption causing a high glycemic index can cause insulin overproduction and increase triglyceride levels in women.[5]
Adverse changes associated with carbohydrate intake, including triglyceride levels, are stronger risk factors for heart disease in women than in men.[6]
Triglyceride levels are also reduced by exercise, omega-3 fatty acids from fish, flax seed oil, and other sources.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Mickyj » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:10 am

Look I have said this before .But I hate how doctors presume you have a problem as soon as they see you .If like me your over weight .
And I hate being told you drink to much alcohol I dont drink !!
And i hate being told you eat to much junk food like maccas i dont eat it!!!
And I hate being told you smoke to much I dont smoke !!!
I got told last week I eat to much red meat went home thought about it I eat red meat 2 or 3 times a week .Backed up by my cholesterol being down to 4.3 ;) ;) didnt think about the meds to bring it down to that lol
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:51 pm

Barto wrote:Eat healthy food and you shouldn't have a problem. It concerns me that people dont realise that drinking a litre of coke a day isn't exactly OK. Our bodies aren't meant to fuel themselves on this rubbish.

An interesting one that I've come across in the last few years is people who drink not only the sugary soft drinks, but think nothing of having 2-3 600ml Iced Coffees per day, then wonder why they're overweight and then claim "but I eat healthy food!"

the worst thing is that eating healthy seems more expensive than eating something that is easily prepared, I have 4 kids, everyone in our house plays sports, we are constantly doing something. It's the fact I'll cook a steak and some chips when I finally get home that probably doesn't help.
Yes, I drink a fair bit of coke, I'm not overweight, I'm around 90kg and about 5"10. I don't fill myself full of sh!t, I eat bugger all junk food, I'm not questioning my weight.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Mickyj » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:50 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Barto wrote:Eat healthy food and you shouldn't have a problem. It concerns me that people dont realise that drinking a litre of coke a day isn't exactly OK. Our bodies aren't meant to fuel themselves on this rubbish.

the worst thing is that eating healthy seems more expensive than eating something that is easily prepared, I have 4 kids, everyone in our house plays sports, we are constantly doing something. It's the fact I'll cook a steak and some chips when I finally get home that probably doesn't help.
Yes, I drink a fair bit of coke, I'm not overweight, I'm around 90kg and about 5"10. I don't fill myself full of sh!t, I eat bugger all junk food, I'm not questioning my weight.

Cough cough well I am .I thought I was 5ft 11 been measured as 5ft 10 3/4 .Couldnt get a healthcare professional from dietitians to Surgeons to tell me how much i should weigh .I lost 26 kilos put that back on lost 13kilos of it kept that off over xmas new year .Only to be told "your are so over weight its not funny" by new GP I lost 13kilos and have kept it off " so what you need to lose 23 more kilos" .So why do healthcare professionals refuse to tell u how much u should weigh .Yet they are more than happy to tell u that u drink to much eat to much etc tec .plus what u should eat .
And lets be clear here I have a manual job not building roads but walking pushing carrying lifting .Laugh as you will but one of my main jobs at work requires me to lift lets say containers(for a better word) that should weigh no more than 12.5 kilos .I have 2 sections of automated lines that stop after both have 16 containers on each.So I then lift 12.5 kilos 32 times from waist level to floor and then build into stacks .And i have to keep pushing lifting theses things all day(8 to 12 hrs a day) , well I did until I asked to be moved at lunch each day(down to 5 1/2 or 6 hours a day) .
Weekends when its not this hot I will power walk up to 2 hrs mainly an hour a day.
And still I need to do more exercise.I eat 3 meals a day.Hell the GP before this one was aghast that I had morning tea at 9.30 am(only at work) after I have breakfast at 5.30 am!!

So what the hell are we supposed to do .
And yes I have meetings with dietitians and diabetic nurses GPs etc etc.I lose weight thats great but its not enough .Execise and I injury myself and need operations .Dont exercise and I get fatter !!!
AHHHHH

So to quote Ned Kelly such is life . ;)
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby mal » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:02 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Yes, took the body in for a long over-due service because I had felt crap for about two months. My Tri-Glyceride level came back at 9.4 where anything over 5 is extreme and high risk, I have a month to drag it back or the tablets might be the option, only thing is once I'm on them, that's it.

What happened LM ?
Did you drop your levels from 9.5 ?
Are you taking medications ?

QUESTION
Once someone starts taking the tablets , can they come of them if the levels drop

Lightning Mc has a 9.4 level
If he took a medication and reduced his level to about 3
Can he come of that medication safely ?
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby Hondo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:09 am

mal wrote:QUESTION
Once someone starts taking the tablets , can they come of them if the levels drop

I don't think I can. I recall the doctor saying I will likely take them for the rest of my life.

I don't know if it is different for different cases but in my case as soon as I stop taking them my levels jumps back up. Mine is a genetic issue I can do little about with my diet.
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Health & Fitness