Cycling: fitness, racing or leisure rides..

Losing Weight, Health, Body Building, Fitness, Exercising, Nutrition, etc.

Re: Cycling: fitness, racing or leisure rides..

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun May 25, 2014 10:55 am

Yesterday got the bikes out of shed
New tubes
Went fotr a small ride.

Will gradually invrease the distances we go as we get our legs back into bike fitness
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11839 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby gadj1976 » Thu May 29, 2014 7:43 pm

mickey wrote:To be honest, most of tge time I'd still ride with a helmet even if it wasn't law.

Maybe riding the 1km to the shop on a Sunday morning would be helmet less

What the hell is it with people?

There is a stupid article in the paper today (well, on news.com.au) about some bimbo wanting to not wear a helmet cos it messes up her hair?

WTF, I hit the ground doing about 10km per hour after my front wheel slipped turning a corner and I hit my head before I even had time to put my hand out to break my fall. If it wasn't for the helmet I would've been in much worse state than I was.

These people obviously have never fallen off a bike before. There is a reason people wear protective helmets on construction sites too, not just for show.

I have read two different points on this one. Firstly that people who don't wear a helmet should have to pay an increased insurance premium (which I agree with) and the second one, more flippantly said that his business shirts get creased by seatbelts, so they too should be banned ;-)

I've got two kids and ride to work a few times a week. I feel like it's irresponsible of me not to wear a helmet. Personally if they do change the rules (and I hope they don't) I'll still wear a helmet for me and my family's sake.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby heater31 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:36 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
mickey wrote:To be honest, most of tge time I'd still ride with a helmet even if it wasn't law.

There is a stupid article in the paper today (well, on news.com.au) about some bimbo wanting to not wear a helmet cos it messes up her hair?

WTF, I hit the ground doing about 10km per hour after my front wheel slipped turning a corner and I hit my head before I even had time to put my hand out to break my fall. If it wasn't for the helmet I would've been in much worse state than I was.

These people obviously have never fallen off a bike before. There is a reason people wear protective helmets on construction sites too, not just for show.

I have read two different points on this one. Firstly that people who don't wear a helmet should have to pay an increased insurance premium (which I agree with) and the second one, more flippantly said that his business shirts get creased by seatbelts, so they too should be banned ;-)

I've got two kids and ride to work a few times a week. I feel like it's irresponsible of me not to wear a helmet. Personally if they do change the rules (and I hope they don't) I'll still wear a helmet for me and my family's sake.

I was in the UK almost 12 months ago and in the media whilst I was in London the Radio news break was reporting on a mass protest of the ridiculous high number of cycling deaths in the past few weeks. The entire car were all Aussies and we all said wear a helmet you twats :roll:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:36 pm

Was lucky enough to win a 3 hour session with Anna Meares at the Velodrome on Saturday, was great fun trying the track out and riding bikes with no brakes!

Anna is a gem and exactly as you see her in the media. Great person.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:17 pm

For the second time in 28500km I had a stack. Thankfully I am a bit rattled but ok. I was coming out of the Torrens Parade Ground car park and as I crossed the road and was looking left, a car reversed out of a car park on Victoria Dr and I finished up sprawled across his boot.

I think I've cracked my helmet, buckled my front wheel, put a bit of a dent in my derailer, bruised my knuckle and have a bad dead leg but I was able to ride home (thank goodness for disc brakes).

Every time I see my colleagues at work about to jump onto the bike I say "ride safe" but it goes to show how quickly things can change. If I didn't have my helmet on, I wouldn't have got up un-aided.

Stay safe! Seriously.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:52 am

Shit, doesn't sound great, sadly it is inevitable that you will crash at some stage, but the positives of riding out weigh the negatives.

Have been enjoying MTBing around our area the last few nights with DSL and finishing in the twilight. About the ramp up the Road biking again now the sun is about to get hotter and snakes are everywhere on the trails.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:32 pm

Well I got my bike assessed today and it's pretty much a write off. Bugger. I didn't get the guy's number because I thought it was just a front wheel that was damaged.

I did purchase a new bike today but I thought the other one would be easily repaired. Now I'm back to one bike, albeit an upgrade on what I had.

Does anyone want to buy a used frame? :-)
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:48 pm

Have knocked over 50k's in two weekends with the aim of getting 500 in by the time DLS finishes. ( about 100 per month )
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:08 pm

Booney wrote:Have knocked over 50k's in two weekends with the aim of getting 500 in by the time DLS finishes. ( about 100 per month )

On strava?

Have just done the usual half yearly swap from Mountain Bike to Road Bike this week now that the heat is here and snakes are everywhere on the trails. Have pumped out 120kms this week after dinner, using lights for the last bit, mainly flat for [FH anyway] trying to get some conditioning back, will hit the hills next week. Nearly died doing the TDU ride last year as I wasn't fit enough, that is motivating me this year.

**** MTBing is so much more fun though...
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:14 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:Have knocked over 50k's in two weekends with the aim of getting 500 in by the time DLS finishes. ( about 100 per month )

On strava?

Have just done the usual half yearly swap from Mountain Bike to Road Bike this week now that the heat is here and snakes are everywhere on the trails. Have pumped out 120kms this week after dinner, using lights for the last bit, mainly flat for [FH anyway] trying to get some conditioning back, will hit the hills next week. Nearly died doing the TDU ride last year as I wasn't fit enough, that is motivating me this year.

Sports Tracker and as I'm slow, on the flat and not going far i don't share my "work". ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:24 pm

Dutchy wrote:

On strava?

I run the trails at least twice a week and rarely see a snake. I guess we don't approach them as quick as you guys do on the mountain bikes. Usually see them a lot in September/October and rarely after.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2598 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:15 pm

Which trails you run MW? Sturt Gorge is full of them, got a theory that the snake catchers pull them out of peoples back yards and release them in to the gorge, then repeat over and over...good solid business model.

My worry is that a lot of the trails have nowhere to go if they are lying across the trail, one side is usually rock and the other a drop off, don't really like the idea of one getting caught up in my wheel etc.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:17 pm

Perhaps the *thump thump thump* of the runners feet may scare them off whereas a nice clean bearing on a bike silently rolling down hill doesn't alarm them as much?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:27 pm

Dutchy wrote:Which trails you run MW? Sturt Gorge is full of them, got a theory that the snake catchers pull them out of peoples back yards and release them in to the gorge, then repeat over and over...good solid business model.

My worry is that a lot of the trails have nowhere to go if they are lying across the trail, one side is usually rock and the other a drop off, don't really like the idea of one getting caught up in my wheel etc.

All the south eastern trails Dutchy. Brownhill, Cleland, BNP, Sturt Gorge, Shepherds Hill etc
Actually you are right re. Sturt Gorge and snakes...definitely seen many through there. That, and Brownhill are the higher volume spots for snake sightings for us.

Booney, spot on re. vibration from a runner. That and myself and my training mate are 86kg and 94kg respectively which helps!
MW
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:26 am

I ride O'Halloran Hill, Craigburn Farm, Belair NP and Sturt Gorge all regularly, Sturt Gorge is the only place Ive seen them.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Psyber » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:49 pm

gadj1976 wrote:

While I support helmets in general principle, I rode a bike to school at Bromptom, Croydon, and Woodville, week days for 8 years, and went on longer weekend rides, all without a helmet. I came off a few times, and bent the occasional wheel but never landed on my head.

The risk is there, but you have to wonder about the percentages, and some European don't make them compulsory, but of course there are more cars to watch for these days. Where you ride may be important.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Dutchy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:04 am

The Euro cities have proper cycling infrastructure that is not amongst cars so wearing no helmets reduces the risk somewhat, plus the fact most of them travel at 10-15kph commuting.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:49 am

Psyber wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

While I support helmets in general principle, I rode a bike to school at Bromptom, Croydon, and Woodville, week days for 8 years, and went on longer weekend rides, all without a helmet. I came off a few times, and bent the occasional wheel but never landed on my head.

The risk is there, but you have to wonder about the percentages, and some European don't make them compulsory, but of course there are more cars to watch for these days. Where you ride may be important.

That might be fine, but I cracked my helmet on my last incident the week before last. I hate to think what would've happened if I wasn't wearing a helmet.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby MW » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:25 pm

Dutchy wrote:I ride O'Halloran Hill, Craigburn Farm, Belair NP and Sturt Gorge all regularly, Sturt Gorge is the only place Ive seen them.

Had a go running this one last week for the first time. Not overly hilly but some nice single trail throughout.
MW
Coach

Postby Psyber » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:23 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Psyber wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

While I support helmets in general principle, I rode a bike to school at Brompton, Croydon, and Woodville, week days for 8 years, and went on longer weekend rides, all without a helmet. I came off a few times, and bent the occasional wheel but never landed on my head.

That might be fine, but I cracked my helmet on my last incident the week before last. I hate to think what would've happened if I wasn't wearing a helmet.

I've got a good helmet and I wear mine too.
lust looking at why there may be resistance in some...
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Health & Fitness