Stress Fractures

Losing Weight, Health, Body Building, Fitness, Exercising, Nutrition, etc.

Stress Fractures

Postby valleys07 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:41 am

Hey guys,

Just after an opinion really. Have just been told I have the makings of stress fractures in my lower back. Am seeing a physio next week to begin a rehabilitation program to strengthen my core muscles.

Has anybody had actual stress fractures in this region? whats the rehab program like, i mean is it never ending visits to the physio or is there a possibility to maintain the rehab program and sustain the strengthening on your own? Is there a possibility that my bones will actually heal themselves or are they like this for life?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Re: Stress Fractures

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:57 pm

Wow, Do you have any idea how you have stress fractures and how'd you find out? Will they have any effect on you playing footy?
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby CENTURION » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:03 pm

I have had 2 slight fractures in my L5 for about 20 years now, thanks to a late night drunken altercation with a couple of Jokers. Building up your muscles in your back helps but doesn't necessarily mend the problem, you could be fine with regular exercise, such as swimming BUT it could deteriorate to the extent that you get sciatic problems, like I have & that sucks. Every case is different, I update my x-rays every 4 to 5 years, to see if it is getting worse. If it does, you might need fusion but that is considered to be a last resort. There's no guarantee how it can go, you just have to try to do the best for the problem & that is don't be silly, like keep playing a contact sport etc., & get regular low impact exercise & check-ups at good places, such as Sportsmed on Payneham Road, ask for Robert Douglas, he is the CDFC doctor & is very knowledgeable when it comes to backs.
Member No. 988 & PROUD to sponsor The CDFC!!
CENTURION
Coach

Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 112 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby valleys07 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:02 am

The Dark Knight wrote:Wow, Do you have any idea how you have stress fractures and how'd you find out? Will they have any effect on you playing footy?

Repetitive strain on certain areas of my back have resulted in the bones weakening, just playing footy and constant knocks during games and simple running can all put the required pressure.

I found out through an MRI scan last week. Have missed the last 4 games in what i thought was just back spasms, but turns out its more.

This season is over. As to playing next year, will all depend on how my back responds to the physio treatment and what risk i have of causing further injury to myself.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

valleys07
Coach

Postby Footy Smart » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:23 am

valleys07 wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:Wow, Do you have any idea how you have stress fractures and how'd you find out? Will they have any effect on you playing footy?

Repetitive strain on certain areas of my back have resulted in the bones weakening, just playing footy and constant knocks during games and simple running can all put the required pressure.

I found out through an MRI scan last week. Have missed the last 4 games in what i thought was just back spasms, but turns out its more.

This season is over. As to playing next year, will all depend on how my back responds to the physio treatment and what risk i have of causing further injury to myself.

Pilates helps massively. Make sure you do classes to you can be instructed how to turn your core on properly then once you can do it, you can do it at home (using a DVD or even youtube). Some physio's will do one on one classes/session and some run classes at their practice. 'Back in Motion' are good for this type of stuff
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby valleys07 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:27 am

Footy Smart wrote:
valleys07 wrote:

Pilates helps massively. Make sure you do classes to you can be instructed how to turn your core on properly then once you can do it, you can do it at home (using a DVD or even youtube). Some physio's will do one on one classes/session and some run classes at their practice. 'Back in Motion' are good for this type of stuff

Ill look into Pilates. Thanks FS!

valleys07
Coach

Postby Footy Smart » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:24 am

valleys07 wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:
valleys07 wrote:

Prepare for a barrage from the lads but trust me it works.... you feel like a numpty to start with but get used to it :lol:
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby valleys07 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:29 am

Footy Smart wrote:Prepare for a barrage from the lads but trust me it works.... you feel like a numpty to start with but get used to it

:lol: Just another thing to add to the growing list ;)

valleys07
Coach

Postby The Ash Man » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:36 am

valleys07 wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:
valleys07 wrote:

Back in Motion is a club sponsor Valleys

Tell them where you are from

Ex-player Ali Wheaton is a physio there

Alastair Wheaton | Physiotherapist
P (08) 8365 7966
F (08) 8365 9549
E a.wheaton@backinmotion.com.au
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times

Postby valleys07 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:38 am

Cheers Ash! Ill give him a buzz!

valleys07
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:37 pm

valleys07 wrote:

I have previously when playing against noted your posture, are the stress fractures a result of your posture or is your posture a result of the stress fractures?
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby valleys07 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:38 pm

nah the strain is a result of my posture and the fact that my core is very weak.

valleys07
Coach

Board index   General Talk  Health & Fitness