Marathon/Half Marathon Running

Losing Weight, Health, Body Building, Fitness, Exercising, Nutrition, etc.

Marathon/Half Marathon Running

Postby scoob » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:56 pm

Just a general shout out to see how many posters have done any type of running in the past. Myself and Mrs Scoob got into last year and completed the Gold Coast Half Marathon in July and a looking to do the full marathon this year.

We absolutely loved it last year, the whole vibe of the day and then the feeling of finishing within your goal time was awesome... Will be interested to hear if anyone else has advice/experiences of training for long distance running.
scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Re: Marathon/Half Marathon Running

Postby pels » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:56 pm

You got the running bug hey
Words of advice when attempting a marathon

Respect the distance 21km to 42km is a big jump; from 32km to 42km is when the race starts
Do your long runs nice & slowly,
Increase you long run distances slowly 2-3 km each week,Do at least 4 or 5 runs of 32-35kms
Read as much information as possible and pick the best info that suits you
Write down all your runs in a training log, kms done, time taken etc
Trial your food intact before your long runs and work out what foods agree with you before your long runs
Tell everyone you are doing a marathon
The hardest part is the actual training for the marathon, the day itself will be fine if you have done the training. I learned that lesson the hard way.
And lastly enjoy your running

I’m planning on doing the Gold Coast Marathon this year so might see you up there
Good luck

Cool Runnings website has heaps of information that helped me with loads of runners who have done heaps of marathons.
Further down the page on the link I have attached is a forum dedicated to marathon training.

http://www.coolrunning.com.au/forums/index.php?act=idx
pels
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 7 times

Postby scoob » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:22 pm

Thanks Pels - Yeah I have been all over Coolrunning... it is a great source of info!

In regards to training, last year we use the GC Half program from their website (worked for us extremely well!!!) - Pat Carrol puts it up every year - this year we are going to use the Intermidate marathon program - the thing I like about it is that it is time based not km based so you can run at the pace that suits you need whilst still on increasing slightly (usual 10min per week). Our long runs are pretty slow 6min/km but we found that limited the sore spots and in teh race we were able to go at 5min/km.... also included in the program are lots of speed work which is a good chance to just the long runs... exciting times ahead - rally looking forward to getting into the training... we are currently doing 10km runs.

Do you use a specific program or create your own? so many ways to get the end result

Do you train on a treadmill at all? Personally haven't as yet, but considering getting one - they reckon that increasing the incline a few degrees simulates 'road' conditions.
scoob
Veteran

Postby Bully » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:54 pm

i run about 5-6kms every 3 or 4 days. Its not a marathon odviously but i find that if i run on a weekend i cant make this distance without stopping. I find that if i work a full day, and then attempt this distance i can do it with ease.

I find that when i drink milk before a run, like half hour before i can make it and feel great. I also find for some reason if i eat crap all day (crap= chocolates, biscuits, drink Iced coffee etc) i can run , but if i follow a healthier diet on the day, i feel lithargic. Strange isnt it .

My major issue is my lower back starts to go on me into the run of this distance and thats why i stop more so often. I stretch fully before a long run, but stil desnt help.

You just need to find what suits you like the rest of us.
Change your run also, dont train and run the same path every time, as your body will become use to that path and you wont become better at it. Try a more hill involved run, then an easier run the next time etc.
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby pels » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:28 pm

Heaps of people have used Pat Carrols programs and have been successful.

I actually planned my own program after reading a book called Daniels' Running Formula by Jack Daniels phd it’s a fantastic book that I found very useful. Its scientifically based training that helped me immensely.
If you get a chance and have access to a public library I would recommend it.
But as you said so many ways to get the end result

Another piece of advice is do plenty of marathon pace training, so basically if you wanna run 5 min ks in the marathon you are gonna have to do at least 20km plus runs at that pace to get you ready for the marathon.

Haven’t got a treadmill, all my running is done outdoors so not sure about the benefits of a treadmill.

You sound very keen and enjoy the training so that’s half the battle.
Enjoy your 1st marathon and don’t put too much pressure on yourself to get a specific time.
pels
League Bench Warmer

Postby mickey » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:10 pm

pels wrote:Daniels' Running Formula by Jack Daniels.

So basically u were pissed ;)
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 312 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby cennals05 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:06 pm

I did the Adelaide half marathon last year and this year I'm planning on doing the Gold Coast full marathon. Sounds like there's a few people planning on doing it from Safooty!!
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby pels » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:53 pm

GC marathon is out of the question now for me as I have only started running this week after 5 weeks of no running from a knee injury.
Have lost too much fitness and with GC 17 weeks away I wont have enough training done.
Will probably set my goal for Melbourne in Oct again
pels
League Bench Warmer

Postby scoob » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:07 am

Bit of bad luck there Pels!!! Damn shame that you are out... Injury is a part of long distance running... Myself and the missus have just got back from holiday and hadnt run for 2.5 weeks... back into it last night though and onto the GC training program... Prior to going away we did a self modified program that got us to 3x1.5 hour runs so hopefully that will help us out with the stuff we have missed... 1.45 run schedule for this weekend think we may ease into our Long runs and start with a 1.5hr getting to the 2 hr run in a few weeks... really looking forward to getting into it no we are back...

Good luck with the training Cennal05 - will be interesting to hear how your training goes!
scoob
Veteran

Postby Brock Landers » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:21 am

I ran the Rome marathon last March never having run a half or a marathon before.

It all comes down to the preparation, I followed a 12 week program that assumed half marathon fitness to start it. It was 6 days running a week so it was pretty full on (I kept measuring my resting heart rate out of interest and it got down under 50bpm!), I missed maybe 4 runs over the 12 weeks.

Following this program prepared me very well, I felt fine until the 38km mark (I remember it very well!) and felt like I was really struggling after that, however looking at my time breakdown afterwards, my pace didn't slow at all, I just hit the mental barrier.

Only a few pieces of advice: Once I was at the peak of my fitness, I really had to concentrate on slowing my pace at the start of the long runs, because if I didn't I would smash out 10 or 15kms and be buggered by the time I got to the 20-25km mark!

Also, make sure you try and have a carp before you head off on a long training run, it can get very uncomfortable trying to jog whilst clenching!

Good luck to anyone attempting a full or half marathon, it definately gives you a great sense of achievement once you've completed it!
Brock Landers
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby pels » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:53 pm

Anyone out there in SA footy forum land doing the Sea to Summit this sunday?
pels
League Bench Warmer

Postby scoob » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:46 pm

You doing it Pels? Looks like an awesome run.

Im down to the taper in the GCM prep... have had a few days off this week as a bit of Patella Tendonitis stopped me from running all the way in my long run on sunday - p!ssed me off big time... hopefully gets a bit better with the reduction in mileage... getting a tad excited for the GC - going to be a hell of a run
scoob
Veteran

Postby pels » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:21 pm

scoob wrote:You doing it Pels? Looks like an awesome run.

Im down to the taper in the GCM prep... have had a few days off this week as a bit of Patella Tendonitis stopped me from running all the way in my long run on sunday - p!ssed me off big time... hopefully gets a bit better with the reduction in mileage... getting a tad excited for the GC - going to be a hell of a run

Me and 2 colleagues from work are doing it, should be fun :roll:
Have done some training runs from Belair to Mt lofty (12km) and that had some tough hilly sections .

Is it your 1st Marathon?
If its your 1st don't put too much pressure on yourself with a goal time and just enjoy the run as best as you can.
Use the pace groups as well if you want, they are great for encouragement and having a general chat throughout the run
Its natural to get excited and have some anxiety about the run.
pels
League Bench Warmer

Postby scoob » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:34 am

pels wrote:
scoob wrote:You doing it Pels? Looks like an awesome run.

Me and 2 colleagues from work are doing it, should be fun :roll:
Have done some training runs from Belair to Mt lofty (12km) and that had some tough hilly sections .

Is it your 1st Marathon?
If its your 1st don't put too much pressure on yourself with a goal time and just enjoy the run as best as you can.
Use the pace groups as well if you want, they are great for encouragement and having a general chat throughout the run
Its natural to get excited and have some anxiety about the run.

Yeah its my first one, doing it with the missus so should be good fun... One of my mates wants us to do the trailblazer in oct - not willing to commit to that til after the GC and after a few runs through the hills... Looking at the course it looks pretty cool - you got any experience with that one?

Good luck for the weekend
scoob
Veteran

Postby the milky bar kid » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:59 pm

My Mrs has done the Trailblazer the last two years (100km). She walked it (still at an impressive 15 hours 40 minutes).
Pretty good, challanging course, but you need to make sure you've got a good support crew because there isn't a lot of set up drink/break points on the course and to help with carrying stuff for the day/night parts of the leg.
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby pels » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:08 pm

This is my 1st trail run competition, haven't had any other trail running experience
The girl at work has done Yurrebilla 56km and the Heysen 105Km (she is a machine)

looking forward to Sunday anyway
pels
League Bench Warmer

Postby pels » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:54 am

Awesome day that was very well organised.
Very enjoyable trail run with some tough steep hills.
pels
League Bench Warmer

Postby scoob » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:13 pm

Well back from the Goldy... Got thru it - finished my first marathon, a tick under 4 hours... was hoping for a bit quicker but underestimated the heat on the day and tanked a bit at the end with some cramp... was a great experience though. Looking at what I could do better and am keen to do anthoer to try and improve (have learnt a lot)... Pels you were correct when you said its a big jump from a half to a full!
scoob
Veteran

Postby pels » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:32 pm

Well done scoob, you have joined the marathon club. The first one you learn so much about your body and also your mental toughness.
You now can plan on how to run it faster. But be careful as if you get the bug it will consume every minute of your life.

Yeah I have been reading the cool running forum on the GC marathon and it was carnage in the last 10km, it was quite warm. What was the degrees?
Was is more the humidity that caused the carnage?

I’m hoping to do the Adelaide Marathon, but have a hip injury that’s giving me the shits, Not happy at the moment, very grumpy :(
pels
League Bench Warmer

Postby scoob » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:14 pm

The last 10kms was carnage... I wasnt travelling well obviously but was still passing people - slightly concerning when you pass people collaspe on the ground or getting loading into an ambulance - one lad didnt look too good.

It is strange, it was only 22C and the humidity didnt seem too great but the sun did have some sting in it and I remember thinking around the 24km mark I needed the shade of the taller buildings.

I have definitely got the bug and am lookign forward to the next one - but enjoying a little time off - had a little 5km run on saturday to get back into it... trying to wear in my new NB Minimus shoes - very different but felt good will be interesting to see how they go.

Good luck with the adelaide prep
scoob
Veteran

Next

Board index   General Talk  Health & Fitness