Pregnancy programs/website for men

Losing Weight, Health, Body Building, Fitness, Exercising, Nutrition, etc.

Pregnancy programs/website for men

Postby mrjbeam1981 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:48 am

Hello everyone.

Just letting people know that we are expecting our first child. We are both very much over the moon. And yes there will be a little Bays supporter running around. Doing a quick sweep over the Internet there are hundreds of websites that are aimed at females and rightly so.

I have found a a number of websites (Australian based) aimed at males.

http://www.dadsclub.com.au/

This is one that gives advice to males, from males. Advice about issues new fathers, things to do with young kids, present ideas, etc.

http://www.beerandbubs.com.au/

I will be attending this. This session is aimed at men supporting their wives in the last trimester. It is aimed at what to expect at the birth. Over dinner you get to hear from midwives about the whole process.
mrjbeam1981
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Pregnancy programs/website for men

Postby Pseudo » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:55 am

mrjbeam1981 wrote:http://www.dadsclub.com.au/

This is one that gives advice to males, from males.

That site couldn't possibly do it any better than SAFooty.net :lol:

Seriously mate, good luck and enjoy it ... it only gets worse from here on in ;)
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby LMA » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:58 pm

My advice, I have three. Don't read too much in to it, it all goes out the window when baby arrives. Most things come natural and are common sense and as thay say practice is better than theory.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Dog_ger » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:20 pm

If you had only listened to your father.....

Keep away from women..... :D ;)
Smile :)

It's only Money $$$ :)

What is happening to our SANFL guys...
Dog_ger
Coach

Been liked: 19 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:02 am

www.newdadssurvivalguide.com

i thought it was really good,but to be honest nothing can prepare you for when your wife goes into labor :lol: ...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Psyber » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:08 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:http://www.newdadssurvivalguide.com
i thought it was really good,but to be honest nothing can prepare you for when your wife goes into labor :lol: ...
I delivered 10 babies as a medical student at the QEH - it quite prepared me for the idea of not getting into the whole deal, personally. ;)
By contrast dissecting a corpse in Anatomy classes didn't bother me at all, while it eliminated 10 of my fellow students from 3rd year Medicine inside 2 weeks.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Punk Rooster » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:18 pm

Dog_ger wrote:If you had only listened to your father.....

Keep away from women..... :D ;)

It would appear at least one football club's supporters have taken this advice seriously... :lol:
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby Wedgie » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:41 am

LMA wrote:My advice, I have three. Don't read too much in to it, it all goes out the window when baby arrives. Most things come natural and are common sense and as thay say practice is better than theory.

This.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:58 am

Wedgie wrote:
LMA wrote:My advice, I have three. Don't read too much in to it, it all goes out the window when baby arrives. Most things come natural and are common sense and as thay say practice is better than theory.

This.

Agreed... Quality post...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:04 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

This.

And for mine too. No book can teach you and nobody can tell you that you're right or wrong.

My wife works in childcare and there is a current wave of "re-teaching" that is reviewing the standards of "play" set down in recent years. Basically, the structured rubbish that was implemented some time ago is being reviewed to be replaced with more free time, climbing trees, eating dirt, all the stuff kids should do.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby The Ash Man » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:14 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

This.

Being a new Dad, I concur
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby CENTURION » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:32 am

go to the pub & go home when the doctor rings to tell you it's all over. Like the good ole' days.
Member No. 988 & PROUD to sponsor The CDFC!!
CENTURION
Coach

Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 112 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Squawk » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:58 pm

Congrats and good luck, JB!

Theory is very helpful so dont discount it. Practice is a whole new ball game, (no pun intended!).

I didn't know of (or look into) sites like this. I have to say though, that the hardest thing I found was the lifestyle changes that are required. You will suddenly have new routines yourself, overnight. Your petty cash for beer will suddenly be a rush to the shop for nappies, or an unexpected doctor's appointment. Murphy's Law is also suddenly very common - like a few beers out with the boys sees you "turn in early" and head home at 1am. Then as luck will have it, your baby will require your earlier-than-expected, full attention and you wish you'd had 4 less beers and left two hours earlier!

One more thing - babies don't instantly bond with their dad like they do with their mum. Babies want sleep, boobs and clean nappies. I reckon dads start to get some genuine return on their investment from about 6-9 months of age.

Good on you for looking up stuff for dads - there isn't enough attention given to becoming a father and it isn't always easy learning how to be a good dad! There are many upsides amidst all the hard work!
Steve Bradbury and Michael Milton. Aussie Legends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnztSjUB2U
Squawk
Assistant Coach

Been liked: 3 times

Postby Aerie » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:37 am

Squawk wrote:Congrats and good luck, JB!

Theory is very helpful so dont discount it. Practice is a whole new ball game, (no pun intended!).

Agree with this. My wife read lots of books etc. and believed in knowing as much as she could before our baby came along. I wasn't that much in to reading or the baby classes, but read the bare minimum and went to 2 out of the 3 the classes. Was happy to listen to what my wife had to say and all you can really do is support your wife as much as possible because the bloke can do bugger all during labour and if the baby is breast feeding you can't do much there neither. You can get involved with everything else though and I was/am keen to be as involved as much as possible - to the extent that we made career choices to enable both of us to spend a lot of time with our daughter.

We were very lucky during that first year. Our baby slept well and we had little trouble. I was even luckier, my wife would be the one to always get up to feed the baby so I didn't really lose any sleep. The vast majority is just what comes naturally, but it is good to sometimes have google on standby or call up the Parent helpline in situations you are not completely sure about.

Of course, when we have baby #2 it might be completely different and what we thought we knew might be turned on its head. No doubt having children has been the best thing to ever happen to me. It's lots of fun. Good luck JB!
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Mythical Creature » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:00 am

Our baby boy is about 7 1/2 months old now. Apart from reading the odd snippet in the mags where there is usually one page of advice from the editors for the Dads I never did much research. Drove my Mrs. nuts as she thought I didn't care about it as much as her, but I tend to just go with the flow.
There is nothing you can do in labour apart from be there, so don't stress about that too much. I spent the day fetching and making jugs of ice (about 6 I reckon) :lol: but it was 40 degrees that day (New Years Day).
Every thing else just wing it and do the best you can. Babies don't really care too much as long as their parents are around they are usually pretty happy. The main thing I guess you could do is just to do extras around the house for the first few weeks at least, like dishes, washing, cleaning etc. Your Mrs is probably going to be the one getting up during the nights and she needs her sleep during the day when she can, so doing these extra chores helps her just focus on whats important.
You'll be fine mate. I used to hear people say its the best moment of their lives and think yeah whatever, but trust me, it really is your best moment without doubt!
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby am Bays » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:51 am

JB if you need any advice on feigning sleep for the early morning night feeds and excuses for working extra long hours to avoid new-born hassles, I'm your man!
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Psyber » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:30 pm

Men had traditional solutions that are harder to apply these days. ;)
Go on an extended hunting or raiding trip, and come back in about 6 months when all is settling down.
In the 12th century, and thereabouts, if desperate, you could go on a Crusade..
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Board index   General Talk  Health & Fitness