Lean muscle gain while training for football

Losing Weight, Health, Body Building, Fitness, Exercising, Nutrition, etc.

Re: Lean muscle gain while training for football

Postby Jase » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:36 pm

kickinit wrote:
Jase wrote:
Q. wrote:
Jase wrote:Seriously I dont want to get necessarily big, or strong I just want to get ripped...

It would take you years to get 'big', but you should still train as if that is your aim in order to optimise the time spent in the gym.

Have you previously done much resistance training?

A little...

I'm really just after something along the lines of what weights exercises to do, how many, what sorts of weight...

Just as a starter to get back into it...

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2

without taking up a whole page explaining everything have a look at this 12 week trainer. It's a pretty good basic plan that has help many before. if you've got any questions ask away.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-ge ... intro.html

Cheers mate, I'll have a look...

Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1476 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby Q. » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:44 am

Jase wrote:
Q. wrote:
Jase wrote:Seriously I dont want to get necessarily big, or strong I just want to get ripped...

It would take you years to get 'big', but you should still train as if that is your aim in order to optimise the time spent in the gym.

A little...

I'm really just after something along the lines of what weights exercises to do, how many, what sorts of weight...

If you can commit to three days a week to start off with, then perhaps go with the following:

Legs&Abs/Push/Pull

Day 1 - LEGS

Squat (4 sets x 5 reps) - Aim so that the final rep of the last set is near fail. You might take a couple of weeks to work out what your current strength is, so ease into it and look to progress quickly
Walking BB Lunges (4 x 6 reps) - that's 6 reps per leg, so 12 walking lunges in total per set
Leg Press Machine (4 x 10 reps)
Standing BB Calf Raises (3 x 15 reps)
Any Ab exercise of your choice (3 sets) - could be 3 x 1 min planks or 3 sets on a weighted ab machine

Day 2 - PUSH

Barbell Bench Press (4 x 5) - Aim so that the final rep of the last set is near fail. You might take a couple of weeks to work out what your current strength is, so ease into it and look to progress quickly
DB Incline Bench Press (3 x 8 )
Standing BB Overhead Press (4 x 6)
BB Close-Grip Bench Press (3 x 8 )

Day 3 - PULL

Pull Ups 3 sets to failure - observe full range of motion
Deadlifts (4 x 4) - Aim so that the final rep of the last set is near fail. You might take a couple of weeks to work out what your current strength is, so ease into it and look to progress quickly. Make sure your form is spot on before trying to lift a challenging weight.
Cable Rows (3 x 8 )
BB Bicep Curls (3 x 10)

Workout incorporates compound lifts. Learn and observe good form (especially for squats and deadlifts, youtube has good tutorials) and practice full range of motion. The weight should be challenging but not so challenging that it compromises form. Stick to the routine, but make progress by either increasing the number of reps in a set or by increasing the weight lifted
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Q. » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:10 am

cheetah wrote:Honestly this is such an eye opener! Just had a quick glance of websites. Kickinit or Q is it best 2 talk 2 people on website? Do they have the best info? Or could you please maybe post a daily diet intake when you are guys are trying 2 put on muscle?

I don't strictly count calories, but being a creature of habit I tend to eat the same things, expecially Mon-Fri, so I have a good feel for what my daily intake is. I eat a lot of tuna/salmon, eggs, chicken, avocado and full cream milk.
Q.
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:37 am

Q. wrote:
cheetah wrote:Honestly this is such an eye opener! Just had a quick glance of websites. Kickinit or Q is it best 2 talk 2 people on website? Do they have the best info? Or could you please maybe post a daily diet intake when you are guys are trying 2 put on muscle?

I don't strictly count calories, but being a creature of habit I tend to eat the same things, expecially Mon-Fri, so I have a good feel for what my daily intake is. I eat a lot of tuna/salmon, eggs, chicken, avocado and full cream milk.

Same here. I don't have much of an idea about counting calories and daily intake because I've never had to worry about it but I've always felt this is very important.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby whufc » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:46 am

I'm no personal trainer or anything but my daily rountine is something like

7am oats for breakfast

9am gym session for say an hour

10 after gym session protein shake and banana

1pm lunch- anything from chicken and rice to a meat sandwich or Caesar salad with egg avo and bacon

3.30- protein shake

6ish dinner- meat, veg and small amount of carb

Throw in maybe a coffee in there somewhere as well
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jase » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:30 pm

Q. wrote:
Jase wrote:
Q. wrote:

A little...

If you can commit to three days a week to start off with, then perhaps go with the following:

Legs&Abs/Push/Pull

Day 1 - LEGS

Squat (4 sets x 5 reps) - Aim so that the final rep of the last set is near fail. You might take a couple of weeks to work out what your current strength is, so ease into it and look to progress quickly
Walking BB Lunges (4 x 6 reps) - that's 6 reps per leg, so 12 walking lunges in total per set
Leg Press Machine (4 x 10 reps)
Standing BB Calf Raises (3 x 15 reps)
Any Ab exercise of your choice (3 sets) - could be 3 x 1 min planks or 3 sets on a weighted ab machine

Day 2 - PUSH

Barbell Bench Press (4 x 5) - Aim so that the final rep of the last set is near fail. You might take a couple of weeks to work out what your current strength is, so ease into it and look to progress quickly
DB Incline Bench Press (3 x 8 )
Standing BB Overhead Press (4 x 6)
BB Close-Grip Bench Press (3 x 8 )

Day 3 - PULL

Pull Ups 3 sets to failure - observe full range of motion
Deadlifts (4 x 4) - Aim so that the final rep of the last set is near fail. You might take a couple of weeks to work out what your current strength is, so ease into it and look to progress quickly. Make sure your form is spot on before trying to lift a challenging weight.
Cable Rows (3 x 8 )
BB Bicep Curls (3 x 10)

Workout incorporates compound lifts. Learn and observe good form (especially for squats and deadlifts, youtube has good tutorials) and practice full range of motion. The weight should be challenging but not so challenging that it compromises form. Stick to the routine, but make progress by either increasing the number of reps in a set or by increasing the weight lifted

Cheers Q...

I'll have a crack at this... [-o<
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1476 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby whufc » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:49 pm

Great advice about form Q, so crucial, so often I see guys going for that one extra or lifting way to heavy that there going to do injury and strain other muscle groups.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Q. » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:00 pm

I did forget to mention about warm-up sets. Do lighter weighted, higher repetition warm-up sets for Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press and Overhead Press.
Q.
Coach

Postby Q. » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:06 pm

And be consistent. Train hard and eat well on the days you train.

Come back in three months and post what you weight you are lifting for squat, deadlift and bench press. By then it might be time to add more volume to each day.
Q.
Coach

Postby kickinit » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:45 pm

Q. wrote:I did forget to mention about warm-up sets. Do lighter weighted, higher repetition warm-up sets for Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press and Overhead Press.

Definitely a must I will usually do 2 warm up sets on each exercise and really concentrate on form.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby Q. » Wed May 22, 2013 1:14 pm

Jase wrote:Cheers Q...

I'll have a crack at this... [-o<

@Jase

How are you going?
Q.
Coach