Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby Wedgie » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:46 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Rams52 wrote:Can suggest:
Ambleside Distillers, on the left near the entrance into Hahndorf
Bean & Bikkie co for coffee and gingerbread biscuits etc
Comida (next the the Hahndorf Old Mill) for a good feed for lunch

Nepenthe as a winery to visit, Shaw & Smith & The Lane are nice but a bit 'wanky' for mine

If you wish to venture a little further, say another 15minutes drive:
Prancing Pony @ Totness
Lot 100 at Hay Valley (Gin, beer, wine, food) fantastic set up and outlook
Greenvalle Strawberries for coffe/light lunch

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk

Thank you Rams!!

I'll definitely use this this as a guide, I can see myself venturing to Nepenthe Wines

Nepenthe is currently being renovated but should be ready by the end of the year.
Is going to be very nice when done.
My wife works for the company that owns them and many other so visit away as you help keep her in a job. ;)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby cracka » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:38 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Rams52 wrote:Can suggest:
Ambleside Distillers, on the left near the entrance into Hahndorf
Bean & Bikkie co for coffee and gingerbread biscuits etc
Comida (next the the Hahndorf Old Mill) for a good feed for lunch

Nepenthe as a winery to visit, Shaw & Smith & The Lane are nice but a bit 'wanky' for mine

If you wish to venture a little further, say another 15minutes drive:
Prancing Pony @ Totness
Lot 100 at Hay Valley (Gin, beer, wine, food) fantastic set up and outlook
Greenvalle Strawberries for coffe/light lunch

Thank you Rams!!

I'll definitely use this this as a guide, I can see myself venturing to Nepenthe Wines

Nepenthe is currently being renovated but should be ready by the end of the year.
My wife works for the company that owns them and many other so visit away as you help keep her in a job. ;)

Drove past Shaw & Smith today & looks like they're having some renos done too. I used to manage the bottling line there but got sick of dealing with winemakers. Used to bottle Nepenthe's wines too, when they were at Lenswood, before McGuigans bought them out & built the cellar door opposite S&S.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:00 am

Wedgie wrote:Nepenthe is currently being renovated but should be ready by the end of the year.

Nepenthe now eyeing off completion around Easter.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:48 am

Thanks for the recommendations @cracka, bang on the mark.

Stopped in LOT.100 for a gin and the place was so impressive and smelt so good we decided to get the salami, chilli and honey pizza while we were there. Google Maps took me through the back way so my new car was filthy from the dirt roads :lol: . I could easily spend a day there, the staff are brilliant and everything about the place oozes appeal. Will be heading up there on a warm Sunday with hopefully a driver so I can enjoy the spoils.

Next stop was Nepenthe Wines for some tastings, we could sample a couple for free or pay $10 to hook into half a dozen, not sure how it all worked out but the hostesses just kept bringing more out to try so we just done the right thing. loved the Primitivo, Shiraz and the Cab Sauv, grabbed a few bottles upon exiting, will return for sure, the grassy knoll overlooking the vineyards would make the perfect lazy Sunday afternoon while grazing at a platter with a red in hand.

Next stop was the Ambleside Distillery, picturesque place, service was brilliant as was the product, couldn't stick around long as I'd had a few here and there and had the car, probably could've walked from where we were staying but we were just winging it.

Trying to decipher where to eat and I ended up insisting on the Hahndorf Old Mill (the steakhouse), I was reluctant to eat traditional German food as it all seemed very high cholesterol food and I'm a bit take it or leave it with German cuisine, for the prices I didn't want to be disappointed, hindsight suggests I should've been a bit more daring.

The Old Mill would've been a perfect way to spend the afternoon, they had normal beers and a huge betting auditorium, it had a northern suburbs feel to it though, staff were nice and the food was as it read, my steak was cooked fine but I do a better salmon than what they served up, was a 7.5 all up though. The Italian restaurant "Gepetto's" seemed like it was going off, probably should've gone there.

Had a couple of beers at the other pubs at different stage and the ambience for the town is excellent, just couldn't find a place to get a 6 pack to takeaway though, had to drive to Stirling.

Stopped at the German Inn for breakfast on the way out, grabbed the German Feast to share to which they adjusted to suit without charging, it was perfect.

Overall, I found the accommodation in Hahndorf a little pricey for what you get but it's bloody popular so who am I to judge, it was actually my first ever time there, we only stayed Sunday night so if I was to do it again I would get a studio apartment and sort some tours out instead of driving around.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Rams52 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:46 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Thanks for the recommendations @cracka, bang on the mark.

Stopped in LOT.100 for a gin and the place was so impressive and smelt so good we decided to get the salami, chilli and honey pizza while we were there. Google Maps took me through the back way so my new car was filthy from the dirt roads [emoji38] . I could easily spend a day there, the staff are brilliant and everything about the place oozes appeal. Will be heading up there on a warm Sunday with hopefully a driver so I can enjoy the spoils.

Next stop was Nepenthe Wines for some tastings, we could sample a couple for free or pay $10 to hook into half a dozen, not sure how it all worked out but the hostesses just kept bringing more out to try so we just done the right thing. loved the Primitivo, Shiraz and the Cab Sauv, grabbed a few bottles upon exiting, will return for sure, the grassy knoll overlooking the vineyards would make the perfect lazy Sunday afternoon while grazing at a platter with a red in hand.

Next stop was the Ambleside Distillery, picturesque place, service was brilliant as was the product, couldn't stick around long as I'd had a few here and there and had the car, probably could've walked from where we were staying but we were just winging it.

Trying to decipher where to eat and I ended up insisting on the Hahndorf Old Mill (the steakhouse), I was reluctant to eat traditional German food as it all seemed very high cholesterol food and I'm a bit take it or leave it with German cuisine, for the prices I didn't want to be disappointed, hindsight suggests I should've been a bit more daring.

The Old Mill would've been a perfect way to spend the afternoon, they had normal beers and a huge betting auditorium, it had a northern suburbs feel to it though, staff were nice and the food was as it read, my steak was cooked fine but I do a better salmon than what they served up, was a 7.5 all up though. The Italian restaurant "Gepetto's" seemed like it was going off, probably should've gone there.

Had a couple of beers at the other pubs at different stage and the ambience for the town is excellent, just couldn't find a place to get a 6 pack to takeaway though, had to drive to Stirling.

Stopped at the German Inn for breakfast on the way out, grabbed the German Feast to share to which they adjusted to suit without charging, it was perfect.

Overall, I found the accommodation in Hahndorf a little pricey for what you get but it's bloody popular so who am I to judge, it was actually my first ever time there, we only stayed Sunday night so if I was to do it again I would get a studio apartment and sort some tours out instead of driving around.
Thought you'd like them. Lot 100 is a 10 minute walk from mine, and have spent quite a few summer arvos up there, and stumbled home.

Rams52
Under 16s

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 20 times
Grassroots Team: Nairne-Bremer

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:42 am

Rams52 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Thanks for the recommendations @cracka, bang on the mark.

Stopped in LOT.100 for a gin and the place was so impressive and smelt so good we decided to get the salami, chilli and honey pizza while we were there. Google Maps took me through the back way so my new car was filthy from the dirt roads [emoji38] . I could easily spend a day there, the staff are brilliant and everything about the place oozes appeal. Will be heading up there on a warm Sunday with hopefully a driver so I can enjoy the spoils.

Thought you'd like them. Lot 100 is a 10 minute walk from mine, and have spent quite a few summer arvos up there, and stumbled home.

Sorry @Rams52, yes I could imagine you would, the place looks impressive as you approach it, it looks immaculate when you enter it, there was a huge private function going on in the marquee but I could quite easily spend a lazy afternoon on the patio there watching the world go by.

the choc orange gin was a hit.

You're very lucky to be living around there mate, absolutely stunning countryside, I would've loved driving through there with a more suitable car, mine looked like a rally car by the time we got back to Burrigan.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:10 pm

Never rated the Port Wakefield but wowweee, have they improved!
Was a but disappointed there was no beef and mushroom pies but got a chicken satay pie instead on the way home this morning and it was sensational.
The filling was awesome, the pastry was fantastic and didn't fall apart, best pie I've had in years!
9/10
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:45 am

Wedgie wrote:Never rated the Port Wakefield but wowweee, have they improved!
Was a but disappointed there was no beef and mushroom pies but got a chicken satay pie instead on the way home this morning and it was sensational.
The filling was awesome, the pastry was fantastic and didn't fall apart, best pie I've had in years!
9/10

Kiplings? Its a very good bakery
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:53 am

Dutchy wrote:
9/10

Yep, that's it. I'll definitely be stopping there more often now.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:06 am

Dutchy wrote:
9/10

Funny enough, despite all the rage of Kiplings I find the pies better at the Port Wakefield Bakery, they supply the footy club and they are top notch.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Psyber » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:16 am

Not a restaurant or Pub review but a related issue - I bought a dozen wines from Pinelli Estate near Perth while in WA. Love their products.

However, I had them marked for delivery to a friend in the Hyde Park area as I would still be in WA when they arrived, and the set up was that if no-one was home Australia Post would leave them at a local PO where he could pick them up, but the box finished up at Klemzig PO 15 km from him and he couldn't go that far during working hours when the PO was open.

I picked them up on my return - that's a 90 km round trip from where I live to pick them up. Grr...
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:50 am

Psyber wrote:Not a restaurant or Pub review but a related issue - I bought a dozen wines from Pinelli Estate near Perth while in WA. Love their products.

However, I had them marked for delivery to a friend in the Hyde Park area as I would still be in WA when they arrived, and the set up was that if no-one was home Australia Post would leave them at a local PO where he could pick them up, but the box finished up at Klemzig PO 15 km from him and he couldn't go that far during working hours when the PO was open.

I picked them up on my return - that's a 90 km round trip from where I live to pick them up. Grr...

I could've helped you out.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:02 am

The Precinct - Alberton Oval

Pizza and pints. Large pizza ( normally $23-26 ) and 4, yes 4 pints including South Coast Pale ( usually $9 ) for $40.

Pizza done in a wood oven, pepperoni, capsicum, olives, onion, ham and cheese. Good crust, toppings just right so the middle isn't soggy and was cooked well, 8/10.

Beers done in big stainless steel vat, hoppy, frothy, cold and delicious. 10/10.

Will hit the same special this Saturday for the first AFLW match at home.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:48 am

St. Kilda Beach Hotel.

Went there Friday night as a last minute idea for my brother's 50th, no shit, I bet it looked the same and played the same songs as they day he was born, time literally stands still out there.

I was disappointed with my feed there last time but I've heard good things with the new operators.

After living off ribeyes and scotch fillets at home lately for so me strange reason I opted to get a chicken parmi, especially at around $27 but I did, it was nice, it was huge.

There wasn't a huge range but I guess they covered what most people would be choosing between, I think between everyone we covered every dish on offer and the servings were all massive, even the kids serves were quite sizey.

No complaints from anyone, the service was quick and friendly, the drinks were reasonably cheap and I could think of worse places to stop in for a feed and a bevvie. You couldn't really fault a weekend day trip out to the playground for the kids (and ourselves), then pop in there to wind down afterwards, there's been a great atmosphere every time I've been there.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:00 pm

Spargo wrote:
Brodlach wrote:
Spargo wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Walkerville Bakery could be the worst bakery I have ever visited

The one as you walk in to the Woolies complex on the right?

Yep, first and last time yesterday

Yep, budget establishment. Try Jeeez Louise directly across the road, quality bakery goods.

@Spargo. Went in here today, nice set up. Curry pie @ $6.50 I thought was a bit rich, then I ate it. 10/10 as far as pies go. The chunks of beef were huge and the taste was incredible.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:10 pm

went for a drive today

we rolled up to The Rising Sun in Auburn at 12.15pm
few people out the front and seated in the dining areas.
ask if they had availability for a table for 2... we were then made aware that the Chef hadnt showed up and there was no ETA.

so we tread further along in Whuffers backyard
and the next port of call was quite obvious to me - Sevenhill.

started off with a bruschetta

mains - chicken parmi - mrs says its the 2nd best shes had, the best was the last one she had there a couple years back
crusted barra - absolutely just melted in your mouth, superb.

washed down a lemon lime and bitters and a super dry

dessert - just went with the blueberry cheesecake option - and it was a light fluffy cheesecake with a dollop of ice cream - again superb.

total came to $115 and left there fully satisfied.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:59 pm

Dinner at Settler's in Margaret River, a great old fashioned pub with stacks of character,
everything made out of local timbers, mainly Jarrah i think,
lots of young people, mainly surfie dudes but no yobbos, very respectful & they were playing golden oldies from the 60's & 70's!
Fantastic hot and spicy chicken wings, great cold beer, just a really good old-fashioned country pub with great atmosphere.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby whufc » Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:54 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:went for a drive today

ask if they had availability for a table for 2... we were then made aware that the Chef hadnt showed up and there was no ETA.

mains - chicken parmi - mrs says its the 2nd best shes had, the best was the last one she had there a couple years back

dessert - just went with the blueberry cheesecake option - and it was a light fluffy cheesecake with a dollop of ice cream - again superb.

You absolutely dodged a bullet with the Rising Sun....location is the only thing it has going for it.

Glad to hear Sevenhill is still quality. I haven't been there for over a year since we moved north of Clare, i also know the owner has been trying to sell for a while now but glad to hear the quality is still real high. Imo probably the best pub in the region and you even can see a premiership photo of mine hanging in the front bar.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:44 am

whufc wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:went for a drive today

You absolutely dodged a bullet with the Rising Sun....location is the only thing it has going for it.

Glad to hear Sevenhill is still quality. I haven't been there for over a year since we moved north of Clare, i also know the owner has been trying to sell for a while now but glad to hear the quality is still real high. Imo probably the best pub in the region and you even can see a premiership photo of mine hanging in the front bar.

Oh, The Rising Sun was a good feed when we were last up there. That was same get away as last visit to Sevenhill.
Disappointing to hear it's gone downhill.

They change owners/chef??
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby whufc » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:07 am

Not too sure tbh. We don't venture that far south very often but have had two meals there and on both occasions i found they were 'ok' at best. Standard price but undersized and not very tasty......service was ok though. Find the dining room very small and a bit crammed as well.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion