Things that you don't understand

Anything!

Re: Things that you don't understand

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed May 22, 2024 12:24 pm

Port Adelaide premiership hero Byron Pickett sues AFL Players’ Association and ex-agent

Port Adelaide premiership hero Byron Pickett is suing the AFL Players’ Association, alleging it breached its duty of care as a former federal MP siphoned his fortune.

Riley Walter
May 22, 2024 - 11:02AM

When Byron Pickett signed his first AFL contract, he thought he would be set for life.

For the Port Lincoln teenager, even the $21,500 that deal was worth was an unfathomable amount of money.

Five years later, he was earning almost $284,000 before tax as a Port Adelaide player.

But 20 years on, the Power’s 2004 premiership hero still rents his home and has nothing to show for his 11-year footy career as a household name renowned for his booming kick and physical play.

He has spent much of that time trying to explain to his children why they haven’t enjoyed the spoils of having a former professional athlete as their parent.

“The kids asked me over the years: ‘Where’s the money? What happened? What did you do?’,” Pickett told The Advertiser.

Former Port Adelaide star Byron Pickett is suing the AFL Players’ Association and his ex-agent Kym Richardson over hundreds of
“Dad, you played AFL for 11 years but we don’t even have a car, we don’t have a house. Where’s all the money gone?

“I didn’t have an answer for them.”

Pickett has now taken legal action against the AFL Players’ Association – the peak body representing AFL and AFLW players – claiming the association breached its duty of care to him by not having in place regulations that led to his former player agent Kym Richardson allegedly stealing more than $250,000 in cash from the 2004 Norm Smith Medallist.

In a statement of claim lodged with the Supreme Court, Pickett alleges Mr Richardson withdrew $253,920 in cash without his client’s permission from a bank account he opened in trust for Pickett in December 2001.

“Kym had sole control over the ATM card, cheque book and internet banking for the Pickett account,” the statement of claim alleges.

Pickett’s claim alleges Mr Richardson and his family profited from property deals with Pickett that he did not understand.

According to the claim, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide and Melbourne paid $654,209 in wages into the account from December 2001 to August 2007.

It is further alleged cash was withdrawn from the account at a location referred to as “Parliament House” in February 2005 while Mr Richardson was the federal MP for Kingston.

Hundreds of dollars were also spent at the Roebuck Bay Hotel and Willie Creek Pearl Farm in Broome, while $1500 was withdrawn from the account on May 7, 2005, Pickett alleges.

Pickett “has never been to Broome”, according to the statement of claim.

The claim alleges the AFLPA was “negligent and in breach of its duty of care to Byron” by not having provisions included in regulations “governing the conduct of player agents” while Mr Richardson acted for Pickett from 2001 to 2007.

It alleges Pickett has suffered loss equal to at least the cash amount allegedly withdrawn from the account because of the AFLPA’s “negligence” and that Port Adelaide raised concerns with the AFLPA in 2005 about Mr Richardson’s conduct.

In a defence lodged with the Supreme Court, the AFLPA denies breaching its duty of care.

According to the defence, an AFLPA representative who met with Pickett and Port Adelaide staff in 2005, noted “Kym has Byron’s best interests at heart”.

Mr Richardson, who has not lodged a defence, was contacted for comment through his lawyers but did not respond.

An AFLPA spokeswoman said the association would not comment on the allegations before the court.

Pickett said he will continue to pursue the legal action to “get back what I deserve”.

“I’m not actually doing it for myself,” he said.

“I’m doing it for my kids, for my family.”

Good luck......................
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 728 times
Been liked: 1086 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby DOC » Wed May 22, 2024 12:35 pm

The passengers who did not have their seatbelts on whilst seated on the SQ flight.

Not only hurt themselves but hurt others who they fell on.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 745 times
Been liked: 2133 times

Postby Trader » Wed May 22, 2024 2:26 pm

shoe boy wrote:Byron Pickett re where is the money :-? the bloke was a footballer the money runs out when you finish football?

It was fairly common knowledge when Byron came to Port that he had nothing to show for his previous years at North.
As the story goes, a system was put in place that saw all his money go straight to his manager and Byron would collect an envelope each week from the staff at Alberton with minimal spending money for the week.

This system was put in place with Byron's best interests in mind, and with the hope that by the end of his career there would be a nest egg ready.

Disappointing to hear that for whatever reason it didn't work out.
Hopefully the manager hasn't pilfered it all.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Trader » Wed May 22, 2024 2:28 pm

DOC wrote:The passengers who did not have their seatbelts on whilst seated on the SQ flight.

To be fair I rarely put mine on when on a long haul flight, especially if I have an empty seat/row next to me, I'll move around as much as possible.
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed May 22, 2024 2:31 pm

Trader wrote:
shoe boy wrote:Byron Pickett re where is the money :-? the bloke was a footballer the money runs out when you finish football?

It was fairly common knowledge when Byron came to Port that he had nothing to show for his previous years at North.
As the story goes, a system was put in place that saw all his money go straight to his manager and Byron would collect an envelope each week from the staff at Alberton with minimal spending money for the week.

This system was put in place with Byron's best interests in mind, and with the hope that by the end of his career there would be a nest egg ready.

Why isn’t he suing Richardson rather than the AFLPA?
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3567 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Jim05 » Wed May 22, 2024 2:35 pm

Trader wrote:
DOC wrote:The passengers who did not have their seatbelts on whilst seated on the SQ flight.

To be fair I rarely put mine on when on a long haul flight, especially if I have an empty seat/row next to me, I'll move around as much as possible.
I’ve been on far too many flights with bad turbulence especially in the Bay of Bengal region to not wear a belt and hence I wear one even whilst sleeping. Going to the Toilet or bar are the only times I take mine off
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3567 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby amber_fluid » Wed May 22, 2024 2:41 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Trader wrote:

Yeah not sure how the AFLPA can be sued here?
Surely it was an agreement with player, manager and the club itself?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2238 times
Been liked: 2533 times

Postby whufc » Wed May 22, 2024 3:04 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Trader wrote:

Bit of a weird one.....

Up to Pickett what he spends his money on but he was very much a regular at the front bar of a pub I would also attend especially after his playing career.

Would see him leave in all sorts of states at stumps and more than ready for kick ons.

Great bloke though, always up for a chat, a laugh, a drink.

Like others thought not entirely sure how his personal spending is the responsibility of the AFL or Port or any individual. I get the AFL is different to most industries and i get they do put measures in place these days to educate players but not sure how they have a legal responsibility to do so.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5612 times
Been liked: 2541 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed May 22, 2024 3:04 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Trader wrote:

Yeah not sure how the AFLPA can be sued here?
Surely it was an agreement with player, manager and the club itself?

Anyone can be sued especially when you may have insurance
Normal (Griffin) solicitor tactic

If Richardson has done something wrong, surely they would have reported a fraud to the Police
Maybe they did and nothing to see there (I dont know - just musing)
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby locky801 » Wed May 22, 2024 3:48 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Trader wrote:

Think you will find he is
Last edited by locky801 on Wed May 22, 2024 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3781 times
Been liked: 1180 times

Postby wenchbarwer » Wed May 22, 2024 3:49 pm

Would have thought those cars he wrote off whilst driving under the influence wouldn't have been cheap, either
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby Trader » Wed May 22, 2024 3:51 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Trader wrote:

Complete speculation here, but I'd guess either Richardson is a co-defendant on the case and the media are just reporting the bigger name (being the AFLPA), or, Richardson has actually been cleared for his involvement, and the AFLPA is all that's left for Choppy to go after.

I tend to suspect it's the latter. I'd guess he had a reasonable amount set up in 2008 and over the last 12 years he's exhausted it.

While at North he didn't put any away as he was far too generous with it, and I suspect that's also been the case after he finished with Richardson in 2007.
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed May 22, 2024 4:41 pm

Trader wrote:
I tend to suspect it's the latter. I'd guess he had a reasonable amount set up in 2008 and over the last 12 years he's exhausted it.

While at North he didn't put any away as he was far too generous with it, and I suspect that's also been the case after he finished with Richardson in 2007.

There's a fair hint of that in the story
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed May 22, 2024 4:48 pm

locky801 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Trader wrote:

Why now?
15 years later?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2238 times
Been liked: 2533 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed May 22, 2024 5:20 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
locky801 wrote:

Why now?
15 years later?

Not uncommon - desperate people to desperate things
All you need to do is find a solicitor desperate for the publicity
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Wed May 22, 2024 5:54 pm

Bit weird going after the AFLPA, he is essentially suing the current day players.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2337 times
Been liked: 3603 times

Previous

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion