Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby am Bays » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:02 pm

Given your recent life event change, you're going to be on the take-away review circuit aren't you WW???

Hope you're enjoying this life experience mate!!!
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 1836 times

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:22 pm

am Bays wrote:Given your recent life event change, you're going to be on the take-away review circuit aren't you WW???

Hope you're enjoying this life experience mate!!!

Haha that's the only restaurant or pub since the new addition. What's worse is now I cook every night...and have to do the bloody cleaning. On holidays next week with family here so looking forward to a few outings. Apart from my average culinary skills it's been the greatest 10 days of my life. Thanks mate.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 852 times

Postby JK » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:32 am

wristwatcher wrote:
JK wrote:Well Jamie Olivers place didn't really live up to the expectations, although it wasn't terrible by any means.

2 adults and 2 kids, and thankfully a $150 voucher up our sleeves.

Entrees: Missus had the Carpaccio which she enjoyed, I had the Crab Bruschetta, which obviously had been marinated because it didn't really taste like crab. Wasn't great, wasn't crap, just OK. Kids shared a fairly small serve of chips (which were kinda like the type you'd make yourself at home, they were pretty good actually).

Mains: Kids meals of Bolognese and Sausages. Missus and I shared the Osso Bucco and Half Lobster Pasta. The Osso was dry and by the time you pulled the bones out there was barely enough meat for an entree. The Lobster was either too long frozen, overcooked or both. Very little of it too. To be honest I wasn't overly impressed with the Mains.

Desert: Kids had Sorbet which they loved (I stuck a spoon in for review purposes and it was actually very nice). Missus had the Panacotta which she seemed to enjoy. I had the special which was a chocolate cheesecake and was sensational. Not being a big desert water though it was too rich for me and I couldn't finish it.

Kids had a juice each and we shared a bottle of Mineral Water.

Total came to $175 which wasn't value for money imho, happy to try again though as I'm thinking their other pastas might be the way to go.

One big thing in their favour is I don't recall ever having such friendly and helpful service. They were lovely toward us and just brilliant with the kids. Was probably the highlight of the experience.

6.0/10

Yep my family and neighbours went Thursday and said the same. It's nice, kid friendly and they enjoyed the novelty but it's a bit over priced and not a life changing experience. Haven't got a spare $150 voucher have you chief :)

Yeah I left it at the restaurant for ya mate .. Congrats on the recent addition to the family, truly happy days!!
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4466 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:59 am

JK wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:
JK wrote:Well Jamie Olivers place didn't really live up to the expectations, although it wasn't terrible by any means.

2 adults and 2 kids, and thankfully a $150 voucher up our sleeves.

Entrees: Missus had the Carpaccio which she enjoyed, I had the Crab Bruschetta, which obviously had been marinated because it didn't really taste like crab. Wasn't great, wasn't crap, just OK. Kids shared a fairly small serve of chips (which were kinda like the type you'd make yourself at home, they were pretty good actually).

Mains: Kids meals of Bolognese and Sausages. Missus and I shared the Osso Bucco and Half Lobster Pasta. The Osso was dry and by the time you pulled the bones out there was barely enough meat for an entree. The Lobster was either too long frozen, overcooked or both. Very little of it too. To be honest I wasn't overly impressed with the Mains.

Desert: Kids had Sorbet which they loved (I stuck a spoon in for review purposes and it was actually very nice). Missus had the Panacotta which she seemed to enjoy. I had the special which was a chocolate cheesecake and was sensational. Not being a big desert water though it was too rich for me and I couldn't finish it.

Kids had a juice each and we shared a bottle of Mineral Water.

Total came to $175 which wasn't value for money imho, happy to try again though as I'm thinking their other pastas might be the way to go.

One big thing in their favour is I don't recall ever having such friendly and helpful service. They were lovely toward us and just brilliant with the kids. Was probably the highlight of the experience.

6.0/10

Yep my family and neighbours went Thursday and said the same. It's nice, kid friendly and they enjoyed the novelty but it's a bit over priced and not a life changing experience. Haven't got a spare $150 voucher have you chief :)

Yeah I left it at the restaurant for ya mate .. Congrats on the recent addition to the family, truly happy days!!

Thanks mate, much appreciated. Amazing times except the 2am feed, not a huge fan of that and the associated shenanigans
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby am Bays » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:30 pm

wristwatcher wrote:Thanks mate, much appreciated. Amazing times except the 2am feed, not a huge fan of that and the associated shenanigans

I was all over helping feed for the first born

2nd Sprog, F*** this, One of us can get some sleep!!!

Maybe that's why the opportunities for a third have been limited....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 1836 times

Postby wristwatcher » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:38 am

Tried that new Scotish place on West Terrace. My oh my how my life has changed so quickly. Yes this is a McDonalds revue, albeit the build your own burger section. :oops:

I went with some fancy bun, 2 x 113g Angus beef patty, Rasher of Bacon, Egg, Mushroom, caramelised onion, pickle, tomato, whole leaf lettuce and Mac sauce with a basket of fries and a large coke.

The meal was served to my table by a nice girl who worked with me throughout the ordering process in 5-10 minutes and well presented. It was somewhat a gargantuan. The entire meal would have been $18.95 but Maccas picked up the tab as I was doing some promotional work there.

I was pleasantly surprised that this did not taste like a McDonalds burger but had all of the charisma of a legitimate burger venue. It was that tall that I had to dismantle it and eat the salad first. I also won a free frape on the monopoly game. :D

I make no secret of the fact I am cheap so I can't imagine this is something I would have tried without a voucher or discount but the fact is it actually delivered. I would next time probably drop out a pattie, mushroom and the fries and coke and paying $10 for one of these is something I would entertain.

It's not 127 days that's for sure but the Angus beef pattie does give it an authentic burger flavour and it is a mile away from the other burgers they mass produce. It's hard to believe but I'm giving it 8/10 and suggesting it's actually worth trying if you haven't yet.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Spargo » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:40 am

Wristy, after your most recent post^ I hereby declare that your position as an expert reviewer on this forum is under review.
Consider yourself on notice.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5568 times
Been liked: 5189 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:53 am

Spargo wrote:Wristy, after your most recent post^ I hereby declare that your position as an expert reviewer on this forum is under review.

He's been banned for less.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7535 times
Been liked: 10848 times

Postby HH3 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:54 am

If you start those kinds of reviews, someones gonna start reviewing f**kin servo pies!

Think before you post mate.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby bennymacca » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:55 am

Wristy what have you done? McDonald's reviews?!?!?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby bennymacca » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:56 am

HH3 wrote:If you start those kinds of reviews, someones gonna start reviewing f**kin servo pies!

Mrs macs ftw
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby HH3 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:02 am

bennymacca wrote:
HH3 wrote:If you start those kinds of reviews, someones gonna start reviewing f**kin servo pies!

Mrs macs ftw

I hate anything with "mac" in it.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Spargo » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:13 am

HH3 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

Mrs macs ftw

I hate anything with "mac" in it.

WHACK!
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5568 times
Been liked: 5189 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby wristwatcher » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:44 am

Booney wrote:
Spargo wrote:Wristy, after your most recent post^ I hereby declare that your position as an expert reviewer on this forum is under review.

He's been banned for less.

Both of these comments really tickled me in my funny bits :lol:

I stand by my review though, the new tastes menu and build your own gourmet burger are worth having a try of.

I know how much Booney loves food photos so I have sent him a pic. I don't know how to shrink photos and post.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby heater31 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:49 am

As long as you don't post a review of a standard Double Quarter Pounder......I don't see a problem with the build your own section.

However I highly doubt it would surpass a competitor such as the aforementioned 127 Days, Burger Foundry or a Nordburger (of which I have Victorian work colleagues raving about)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby wristwatcher » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:54 am

heater31 wrote:As long as you don't post a review of a standard Double Quarter Pounder......I don't see a problem with the build your own section.

However I highly doubt it would surpass a competitor such as the aforementioned 127 Days, Burger Foundry or a Nordburger (of which I have Victorian work colleagues raving about)

Not as good as 127 but it was better than my last Foundry burger. 226g of Angus beef was moist and delicious.

My work colleague said hers was also on par with Burger it but not as good as Nord
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby HH3 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:57 am

Jimbos Snack Bar - Regency Park

Been hitting up the tuna sangas every day this week.

Wash them down with a Bundy Sarsaparilla.

Love my onion, but the onion to tuna ratio is about 1:1, so they either need to chuck more tuna in or less onion.

7/10

This is how my lunch breaks have played out all week.

I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby HH3 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:42 am

Taking the Mrs to Benjamin on Franklin tonight for tea.

Stay posted for the review.

Anyone else been there?
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:27 pm

Anyone got any mail on the Hackney?

Only been there for catered events and the food was always good but never eaten a restaurant meal there.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:44 pm

HH3 wrote:Taking the Mrs to Benjamin on Franklin tonight for tea.

Stay posted for the review.

Anyone else been there?

Not been there but

It's in the book and just up the road from a site we look after and I am keen to check it out so look forward to your review
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11978 times
Been liked: 3658 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion