LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7528 times
Been liked: 10836 times

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:05 pm

Now just have to wait on the other 2 reviews Booney has in store
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11948 times
Been liked: 3647 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:21 pm

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
bennymacca wrote:it shouldnt be a pure mean though, it needs to be a weighted average.

I feel like if the 3 criteria were food, location, scenery, then it would be something like a 50/25/25 weighting, which would give an 8.5 rating in the above example, not 8.67

:D

My point was there was an 8 and two 9's, even with your weighed criteria it should've been rounded up, giving it a 9.

I had my my plans set to go there immediately and had alerted all of my friend that we were heading there as Booney was giving it a high 8, after it got knocked down to just a flat 8 I had to cancel.

:lol:

Good pick up ;)
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7945 times

Postby norwood8 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:12 pm

Was out North the other day so I thought I'd pop through the Cross Keys.

The food was much better than I thought It'd be. Had the Salt and Pepper Squid, bloody delicious and well priced. A solid 8.5 out of 10.

The beer prices were some of the cheapest I'd seen in some time. Consumed quite a few Heineken pints that were on special. A solid 8.5 out of 10.

For a hidden den, the scenery was classy yet beautiful. The service was brilliant, a really friendly upbeat vibe from the girls behind the bar. A solid 10 out of 10.

Only critique would be that the air conditioner could have been set much cooler.

Can't believe that place has it's knockers.

All in all a great afternoon was had by all.
norwood8
Under 18s

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:10 am

norwood8 wrote:Was out North the other day so I thought I'd pop through the Cross Keys.

The food was much better than I thought It'd be. Had the Salt and Pepper Squid, bloody delicious and well priced. A solid 8.5 out of 10.

The beer prices were some of the cheapest I'd seen in some time. Consumed quite a few Heineken pints that were on special. A solid 8.5 out of 10.

For a hidden den, the scenery was classy yet beautiful. The service was brilliant, a really friendly upbeat vibe from the girls behind the bar. A solid 10 out of 10.

Only critique would be that the air conditioner could have been set much cooler.

So you went at the right time then?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7528 times
Been liked: 10836 times

Postby am Bays » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:42 am

Booney wrote:
norwood8 wrote:Only critique would be that the air conditioner could have been set much cooler.

So you went at the right time then?

I can see the point of that....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 1834 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:54 am

am Bays wrote:
I can see the point of that....

He got the fried eggs.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:54 am

norwood8 wrote:Was out North the other day so I thought I'd pop through the Cross Keys.

Has anyone had the big breakfast there on a weekend? Great value.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:21 am

Had a Buck's gathering at the Ed Castle on Sunday, so snuck in a quick feed of S&P Squid - Just wanted something light that I could drink around. Bloody hell for $12 there was heaps of it (I couldn't finish it) and it was on point. The Wooden Oven pizzas looked and smelled fantastic, wouldn't mind getting back there to try some of the other stuff on the Menu.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4466 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Pseudo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:41 am

norwood8 wrote:...

Well don't ever dine at Checkmate's. You simply won't be able to fathom the knockers there.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1564 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby HH3 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:48 am

JK wrote:Had a Buck's gathering at the Ed Castle on Sunday, so snuck in a quick feed of S&P Squid - Just wanted something light that I could drink around. Bloody hell for $12 there was heaps of it (I couldn't finish it) and it was on point. The Wooden Oven pizzas looked and smelled fantastic, wouldn't mind getting back there to try some of the other stuff on the Menu.

This place is a hidden gem. Looks like homeless people squat there, but the values great, and the foods better.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Spargo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:55 am

HH3 wrote: Looks like homeless people squat there

Is this due to urine & faeces being on the floor there.......?
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5550 times
Been liked: 5175 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby JK » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:58 pm

HH3 wrote:
JK wrote:Had a Buck's gathering at the Ed Castle on Sunday, so snuck in a quick feed of S&P Squid - Just wanted something light that I could drink around. Bloody hell for $12 there was heaps of it (I couldn't finish it) and it was on point. The Wooden Oven pizzas looked and smelled fantastic, wouldn't mind getting back there to try some of the other stuff on the Menu.

This place is a hidden gem. Looks like homeless people squat there, but the values great, and the foods better.

We went to the Ed, then stopped at the Grace Emily for a quick one on route to the Cumby .. To be honest I was impressed with all 3 places. Deffo getting back to the Ed for a feed though.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:49 pm

Pseudo wrote:
norwood8 wrote:...

Well don't ever dine at Checkmate's. You simply won't be able to fathom the knockers there.

They seemed to have the same old knockers there all the time
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 225 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:52 pm

BoundaryRider84 wrote:
Pseudo wrote:Well don't ever dine at Checkmate's. You simply won't be able to fathom the knockers there.

They seemed to have the same old knockers there all the time

Is it "all you can eat"?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:55 pm

Cheap jugs :lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1745 times
Been liked: 2154 times

Postby JK » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:58 am

Estia's at Henley Square .. Hadn't eaten there for a few years, but its always been pretty reliable, and yesterday was no exception. 8 of us there for Valentine's lunch yesterday, so we took the $42 Banquet option. Beautiful food, plenty of it, and the young lad serving us was a ripper. Thoroughly recommend.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby HH3 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:12 am

Went to the Bartley on Saturday night to avoid the V-Day rush.

Was put on the "mezzanine". I thought "Wow, fancy" until they pointed to the front of the dinning area that is 3 steps above the rest of the place.

First off, there was no vego option at all. The missus wasn't too happy, but she just ordered the pasta special, minus the meat. The waitress came out a bit later and asked if she wanted the plain pasta, or if she wanted a vego pasta.

It seemed like the chef had seen the order, realised what the missus must have wanted, and got a waitress to ask. The problem was, the waitress was very nervous, and didn't really explain it well. When the missus asked what the vegetarian pasta was, the waitress said, "No, do you want the special pasta without meat, or do you want a vegetarian pasta?". In the end, Mrs HH3 just said "what I ordered is fine" just to get out of this awkward convo.

We smashed the buffett, and I got extra starters just in case the pasta was shithouse.

The mushroom and feta bruchetta was great.

The bowl of chips was good, the aioli was pretty bland.

I got chicken stuffed with chorizo. Was pretty good.

The pasta was plain pasta, no sauce, and some tomato pieces. There were a few spinach leaves and some Parmesan cheese. Terrible.

I'd say it was the worst place we've been for a fair while.

The best part of the night was a relaxing stroll along the lake afterwards.

The Bartley Tavern - 3/10

Been there twice now. First time had to wait in line for 15 minutes to order, then another 45 mins for our meals to come out.

We will keep taking our business to the Lighthouse.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:48 am

The Bartley is now on your banned list....

I must say ive eaten there and never had any real issues with the food/service.

disappointing to hear that it may be on the slide.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11948 times
Been liked: 3647 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:04 am

Jim05 wrote:Sammy's on the Marina last night. Overpriced and nothing special.
Not a seafood fan but went for a family Birthday. Table of 12 including 3 kids. Started with bread and Dukkah which was nice enough. Entrees were ordered and most tucked into theirs , brother in law ordered a dozen oysters kilpatrick, after waiting for about 10 minutes after everyone else's entree had arrived he questioned the waiter who then admitted he had stuffed up and forgot to order them so he went without.
Mains started coming out about 40 minutes later despite not being overly busy, adult meals came out before kids and then it got worse. My sons Salt and Pepper Calamari was stone cold and several other meals were barely lukewarm. My meal didn't even come out and once again the waiter admitted his error and my meal had been given to another table and they would prepare me another ASAP. Now I only had Beer battered Whiting and that took another 20 minutes to come out and was basically 3 tiny pieces of whiting and a handful of burn chips, the salad was ok though.
Pretty average night TBH, $35 for fish and chips I could buy for $10 at any take away store. All up with a few beers and bottles of wine it came to over $800 and of course then we were told they couldn't split the bill after being informed when we arrived that we could. Food and service pretty average 2/10

Went here recently with a work group of about 20. Our experience wasn't as bad as this, but probably just middling.

Think it biggest problem is it's not sure what it's trying to be, café-style restaurant or an up-market establishment? Most meals and service were good enough without being great (although a couple of the deserts and entrees received high praise, including the scallops I had). Price-tag definitely the latter.

Wait times for the meals didn't seem too bad and they all came out at the same time.

Drink service wasn't really attentive. Being in a group we were put upstairs, but below didn't seem to be overly busy when we walked through. Plenty of times empty glasses and bottles sat there without being queried. At one stage someone had to go downstairs to get their drinks. I'm not a huge drinker so was just having a couple mid-strengths, thought I'd have one more and out came a warm full-strength - not a huge issue in itself, just indicative of the overall set-up.

5/10
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 176 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion