Things that make you sad.

Anything!

Re: Things that make you sad.

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:49 am

WHy can European Cities still maintain relevant old buildings then and still be "progressive"

I drove past the GPO the other day, a beautiful iconic Adelaide building - now surrounded by Glass monstrosities and almost looks out of place.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1742 times
Been liked: 2153 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:53 am

I think there is a fine line of progress and respecting heritage.

I think the old stylish building adds character
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11911 times
Been liked: 3626 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:54 am

The 2 young female jockeys who lost their lives this week.
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby shoe boy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:56 am

The fact that my fellow Australian citizens voted for a circus of a government .
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:00 am

Not me! :lol:

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Postby gossipgirl » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:02 am

shoe boy wrote:The fact that my fellow Australian citizens voted for a circus of a government .

Can we please have some adults in charge ... please please please
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1434 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Failed Creation » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:02 am

Footy Chick wrote:WHy can European Cities still maintain relevant old buildings then and still be "progressive"

I drove past the GPO the other day, a beautiful iconic Adelaide building - now surrounded by Glass monstrosities and almost looks out of place.

I agree with you there, FC. But what's more important to me is finding a way of keeping our young people from leaving to move to Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3308 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby HH3 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:04 am

Failed Creation wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:WHy can European Cities still maintain relevant old buildings then and still be "progressive"

I agree with you there, FC. But what's more important to me is finding a way of keeping our young people from leaving to move to Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane.

I hate young people. Ship em all off I say. Little whippersnapper dickheads
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Failed Creation » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:13 am

This is sad...

Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3308 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:16 am

Two fold, some modern architecture is outstanding, I think the SAMHRI Building is one such piece. When the nRAH is finished and the precinct around it completed I think it will be a real landmark.

On the other hand is how we integrate the new with the old and what the future holds in way of design, where does this all fit in.

I deal with architects quite a bit in my role, daily actually. I'm not sure what they do to them when they get to University, but they give them some sort of idea that anything they can lay awake at night and dream of someone in manufacturing / industry can make it.

Not so.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10815 times

Postby heater31 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:57 am

Booney wrote:

Two fold, some modern architecture is outstanding, I think the SAMHRI Building is one such piece. When the nRAH is finished and the precinct around it completed I think it will be a real landmark.

On the other hand is how we integrate the new with the old and what the future holds in way of design, where does this all fit in.

I deal with architects quite a bit in my role, daily actually. I'm not sure what they do to them when they get to University, but they give them some sort of idea that anything they can lay awake at night and dream of someone in manufacturing / industry can make it.

Not so.

Yes I too like the 'Spaceship' of the SAMHRI. Would have been a bitch to build though. Also was a big supporter of the Federal Court building when first completed.

Yes as someone who has been around the industry all my life and studied at University, Architects only think about how it is going to look, they don't care about how the thing is going to be put together.

Considering my background in the practical side of things I think it's a good move that I could be studying Architecture next year off campus as I might punch out the lecturer if I was on campus!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby Psyber » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:06 am

I've heard from a senior court official that several modern buildings in Adelaide already have "concrete cancer" and are becoming risky to occupy.
Older stone and brick buildings may get salt damp but their basic structure does not usually threaten to crack up.

I like the modern look, too, but, while the ideas are easy to come up with, the execution of the construction often suffers from deliberate short cuts, or from the builders' inability to follow the complex plans and specifications.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:37 am

Yes Psyber, builders are given a budget, they take short cuts when and where possible and maximize profits.

I give architects "budget" pricing on a daily basis and from there the client will ultimately have a costing in mind, so it isn't a matter of pockets being too shallow it's just someone looking to make a dollar. Can't blame them.

There are plenty of "sick buildings" around Adelaide many of which boast 5 Star Green Star efficiency and occupant comfort levels, yet in reality fall well short of these claims.

The ETSA Building ( 1 Anzac Highway ) and the SA Water Building ( Victoria Square ) are long time sufferers of sick building and one very large project on North Tce that is under construction also has many foibles. some of which will become public knowledge, I'm sure.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby dedja » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:40 am

well thankfully that 'sick' building on North Terrace shouldn't have to go far to get treatment ... oh, hang on
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:52 am

I've always wondered how building constructed predominantly of glass can be 5 star energy efficient, the cost on air con alone to keep it cool in our hot summers would be ridiculous.

I think the cheesegrater is a horribly ugly building - but I'm a bit old fashioned apparently.

Footy Chick

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:57 am

Footy Chick wrote:I've always wondered how building constructed predominantly of glass can be 5 star energy efficient, the cost on air con alone to keep it cool in our hot summers would be ridiculous.

I think the cheesegrater is a horribly ugly building - but I'm a bit old fashioned apparently.

I like tradition also FC, but I actually don't mind the cheesegrater
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:57 am

Footy Chick wrote:
I've always wondered how building constructed predominantly of glass can be 5 star energy efficient, the cost on air con alone to keep it cool in our hot summers would be ridiculous.

Geothermal cooling of chilled beams ( water is pumped underground over night {therefore cooled} then pumped through chilled beams {water carrying "blocks" built on or into the concrete slabs} to cool the buildings "core" and reduce costs. Lift risers used as pressurised chambers to draw in fresh and exhaust hot/stale air. The New Engineers Building in the U of A is a very good example.

High induction air diffusion equipment mixing room air faster, heat loads being calculated and moved across a building as the sun rises and sets. ( The West of a building will always need more cooling in the afternoon than the East will ever as the sun lacks "bite" in the early part of the day )

Lots of clever cookies doing lots of clever things. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby dedja » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:00 am

The SAHMRI building is basically a greenhouse ... in the atriums (one each side) which go from level 4 to 9, an enormous amount of heat is trapped.

The design allows for fresh air to be circulated through the building but despite it's claimed green rating, it is still essentially an energy inefficient building (but excellent considering the glass design), and that's not taking into account the enormous cleaning costs as those glass triangles get extremely dirty (especially when the building is completely surrounded by building sites) and don't clean themselves.

That said, it's an awesome building, inside and out ... especially the technology. ;)
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:05 am

Check out the smoke spill grilles that run along the full length of the building on the top level. Impressive kit.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby dedja » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:07 am

sponsored post there Booney? :lol:
dedja
Coach