Things that make you sad.

Anything!

Re: Things that make you sad.

Postby tipper » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:28 pm

HH3 wrote:
Sky Pilot wrote:Hundreds of beautiful kangaroos are hopping around in the late afternoon sun without a care in the world. By tonight they will be dead, shot while staring into a spotlight. This time tomorrow they will be in a packet marked pet food only.
That makes me sad

Wouldnt they be packaged as Kanga Bangas and kangaroo steaks...I have both in the freezer at home. Also have kangaroo mince. Very lean and very tastey

i think (and someone else probably knows for sure) that the roos shot by professional cullers in the wild cannot be used for human consumption, only for pet food, and even depending on the culling permit, they may have to be left where they are shot! there are very strict guidelines to adhere to before they can be shot.

the roo available for human consumption comes from "farmed" roos, not wild ones. once again, that is just as i understand it and im happy to be corrected.
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby HH3 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:37 pm

tipper wrote:
HH3 wrote:
Sky Pilot wrote:Hundreds of beautiful kangaroos are hopping around in the late afternoon sun without a care in the world. By tonight they will be dead, shot while staring into a spotlight. This time tomorrow they will be in a packet marked pet food only.
That makes me sad

Wouldnt they be packaged as Kanga Bangas and kangaroo steaks...I have both in the freezer at home. Also have kangaroo mince. Very lean and very tastey

i think (and someone else probably knows for sure) that the roos shot by professional cullers in the wild cannot be used for human consumption, only for pet food, and even depending on the culling permit, they may have to be left where they are shot! there are very strict guidelines to adhere to before they can be shot.

the roo available for human consumption comes from "farmed" roos, not wild ones. once again, that is just as i understand it and im happy to be corrected.

You could be right. I have no idea how kangaroo meat is collected.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby nolongerthere » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:49 pm

where i come from in WA if a roo is knocked over on the road here, ( there is hundreds of them) its fresh we cut it up and eat it, pays to have a mate who is a butcher.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte
nolongerthere

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Meningie

Postby therisingblues » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:19 pm

It would be much kinder if we didn't persist with cattle on this country. Kangaroos are seldom affected by drought and have virtually no environmental impact compared to cows. The meat from kangaroos is also much healthier, very low fat and cholesterol and tastes very good.
In Australia we should have a roo eating culture but most people prefer cow.
That makes me sad.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby heater31 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:24 pm

therisingblues wrote:It would be much kinder if we didn't persist with cattle on this country. Kangaroos are seldom affected by drought and have virtually no environmental impact compared to cows. The meat from kangaroos is also much healthier, very low fat and cholesterol and tastes very good.
That makes me sad.

I don't mind it but plenty of people don't like eating Skippy for some reason....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby RustyCage » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:25 pm

I can only eat kangaroo in very small amounts, not a fan of it. Beef on the other hand....
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby HH3 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:26 pm

heater31 wrote:
therisingblues wrote:It would be much kinder if we didn't persist with cattle on this country. Kangaroos are seldom affected by drought and have virtually no environmental impact compared to cows. The meat from kangaroos is also much healthier, very low fat and cholesterol and tastes very good.
That makes me sad.

I don't mind it but plenty of people don't like eating Skippy for some reason....

Thats exactly what my missus said when we started getting kangaroo meat to try and eat healthier. It took a bit to convince her it was ok to eat. I love kangaroo meat, and get it every time its available when we go out to eat. I cooked up some awesome kangaroo steaks a couple of weeks ago that even she had to admit were pretty good.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:30 pm

HH3 wrote:
heater31 wrote:
That makes me sad.

Thats exactly what my missus said when we started getting kangaroo meat to try and eat healthier. It took a bit to convince her it was ok to eat. I love kangaroo meat, and get it every time its available when we go out to eat. I cooked up some awesome kangaroo steaks a couple of weeks ago that even she had to admit were pretty good.

My mum says its something you feed the Dogs. Yet she eats sheep's brains :shock: :?
heater31

Postby therisingblues » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:31 pm

heater31 wrote:
That makes me sad.

I think it's time we invented "Buttercup the Bush Cow" children's drama.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:32 pm

heater31 wrote:
HH3 wrote:
heater31 wrote:
That makes me sad.

My mum says its something you feed the Dogs. Yet she eats sheep's brains :shock: :?

Greek?
therisingblues
Coach

Postby scoob » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:36 pm

therisingblues wrote:
heater31 wrote:
HH3 wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Greek?

That's a bit personal isnt it?
scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Postby therisingblues » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:39 pm

scoob wrote:
therisingblues wrote:
heater31 wrote:
HH3 wrote:Thats exactly what my missus said when we started getting kangaroo meat to try and eat healthier. It took a bit to convince her it was ok to eat. I love kangaroo meat, and get it every time its available when we go out to eat. I cooked up some awesome kangaroo steaks a couple of weeks ago that even she had to admit were pretty good.

Greek?

That's a bit personal isnt it?

You gotta dirty mind Scooby.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby heater31 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:41 pm

therisingblues wrote:
heater31 wrote:
HH3 wrote:
heater31 wrote:[quote="therisingblues"]It would be much kinder if we didn't persist with cattle on this country. Kangaroos are seldom affected by drought and have virtually no environmental impact compared to cows. The meat from kangaroos is also much healthier, very low fat and cholesterol and tastes very good.
That makes me sad.

Greek?[/quote]

Nope grew up on a farm....
heater31

Postby therisingblues » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:57 pm

heater31 wrote:
therisingblues wrote:
heater31 wrote:
HH3 wrote:

Greek?

Nope grew up on a farm....

Never read about that in Footrot Flats.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Sky Pilot » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:38 pm

HH3 wrote:
That makes me sad

To the best of my knowledge a percentage of the meat from the really good Roos is used for human consumption but most is for pet meat. Anyway, it's not about the destiny of the meat that makes me sad. It's just the killing of these animals. I don't like it.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby Brodlach » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:20 pm

pafc1870 wrote:I can only eat kangaroo in very small amounts, not a fan of it. Beef on the other hand....

Makes me throw up, had it three times and each time within 5 minutes up it comes

Mmmm steak
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby therisingblues » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:30 pm

Sky Pilot wrote:
HH3 wrote:
That makes me sad

To the best of my knowledge a percentage of the meat from the really good Roos is used for human consumption but most is for pet meat. Anyway, it's not about the destiny of the meat that makes me sad. It's just the killing of these animals. I don't like it.

Vegetarian?
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Spargo » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:53 pm

Pregnant women smoking - make a choice FFS!
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5528 times
Been liked: 5161 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:05 pm

HH3 wrote:
heater31 wrote:
That makes me sad.

Kangaroo steak is the bomb, very nice. Windy Point restaurant does a very tasty Kangaroo steak.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10388 times
Been liked: 1534 times

Postby Psyber » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:07 pm

That makes me sad.
I find Roo a bit rich for my taste, as I do Venison.
I tried Frog's legs once - never again.
I've also tried biltong (jerky) variants - Elephant, Buffalo, Impala - but I prefer my meat cooked.

Pork, goat, and lamb, and a nice piece of beef are my preferred meats.
I quite like Kudu, but its hard to get here, and Emu Pie is not bad.
I'd be prepared to try the environmentally less damaging soft footed species, like the various Camelids, but no one has offered me an Alpaca steak so far.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion