Australian Car Industry

Anything!

Re: Australian Car Industry

Postby dedja » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:58 pm

Toyota have pulled the pin, finishing up in 2017.

Australian car manufacturing ... RIP
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby tigerpie » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:08 am

Australian manufacturing RIP!
Without the innovating r and d programs that the car industry generates, we are in big strife...
So many job losses and technology losses. We will now be known as the dumb country when it comes to local manufacturing.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 505 times
Been liked: 432 times

Postby dedja » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:10 am

We are known as the dumb country ... just look at the last 3 PMs
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:50 am

tigerpie wrote:Australian manufacturing RIP!
Without the innovating r and d programs that the car industry generates, we are in big strife...
So many job losses and technology losses. We will now be known as the dumb country when it comes to local manufacturing.

most of our recent cards werent designed here anyway, they werent doing that much in the way of r&d, that ship had already sailed.

speaking of ships, it is about the only high end manufacturing left (and submarines). BAE still make the bushmaster APCs too, though that is small scale compared to the car indursty ask a whole.

I think it is time we invested in high end skills, if our future isnt in manufacturing, it could be in things like IT and software engineering, and other highly skilled jobs (like electronic engineering hopefully haha)

HP have announced 400 new jobs in adelaide, that is a good start
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby scoob » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:11 pm

I find it confusing that the ALP are so anti-big corporates, yet are willing to give $25M of the taxpayers money to Coca Cola?
scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Postby Psyber » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:34 pm

scoob wrote:I find it confusing that the ALP are so anti-big corporates, yet are willing to give $25M of the taxpayers money to Coca Cola?

If Coca Cola get a large donation of federal government funds as support, what proportion of it do they then donate to the party's funds?
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:10 pm

and looking to make over $500m in Nett profit after tax for 2013
but SPC Ardmona is a problem for them
In the 2012 Annual Report, they blame the high AUD for SPCA's problems
Not sure where that's disappeared to now we're under 90c
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 726 times
Been liked: 1080 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby tigerpie » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:35 pm

bennymacca wrote:

most of our recent cards werent designed here anyway, they werent doing that much in the way of r&d, that ship had already sailed.

speaking of ships, it is about the only high end manufacturing left (and submarines). BAE still make the bushmaster APCs too, though that is small scale compared to the car indursty ask a whole.

I think it is time we invested in high end skills, if our future isnt in manufacturing, it could be in things like IT and software engineering, and other highly skilled jobs (like electronic engineering hopefully haha)

I would like to know where you get that information from. I've worked in the industry for many, many years, and thats not correct.
Our high volume manufacturing r and d is/was world class and most of it was generated by, or for, automotive engineering!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 505 times
Been liked: 432 times

Postby Q. » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:36 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:and looking to make over $500m in Nett profit after tax for 2013
but SPC Ardmona is a problem for them
In the 2012 Annual Report, they blame the high AUD for SPCA's problems
Not sure where that's disappeared to now we're under 90c

My thoughts exactly Jimbob
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby bennymacca » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:03 pm

tigerpie wrote:I would like to know where you get that information from. I've worked in the industry for many, many years, and thats not correct.
Our high volume manufacturing r and d is/was world class and most of it was generated by, or for, automotive engineering!

my apologies, i thought the new commodore was based on a chevrolet design, but just did a bit of googling and it seems to be the other way round.

is the commodore the only car still designed in australia though?

and i know our engineers in australia are world class (i am one :D) just that i didnt think there was much auto design done these days, happy to be corrected.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby kickinit » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:12 pm

tigerpie wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

I would like to know where you get that information from. I've worked in the industry for many, many years, and thats not correct.

Are you talking about technology we use to manufacture products, or the products we actually manufacture?
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Previous

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion