Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby wristwatcher » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:23 am

Booney wrote:Seaton Hotel :

Junior Boon's Birthday yesterday so off to The Seaton for dinner.

$15 for 1/2 dozen kilpatrick to begin with. Very fresh and perfectly covered with kilpatrick, as good as I've had. Unfortunately, it went downhill from there.

Mrs Boon and the little Boon's all went chicken schnitty's which I must say were on the money as far as a schnitty goes. Covered the plate, huge serving of nice chips, what you'd expect from a pub as far as a schnitty goes.

I went to the Specials Board for roast pork belly with a trio of sweet and roasted potatoes and apple cider jus.

Well, the "jus" was more like the scrapings off the bottom of a baking tray that you'd done your spuds in. It was black, like a chutney in consistency, horribly salty and not very appealing at all. Why they put about 8 massive spoonfuls on the plate I don't know.

The "trio" of potatoes should have been advertised as a "burnt to an inch of existence duo" as they sweet potato and spuds were on the cusp of being charcoal only.

The only saving grace, the pork belly was simply perfect and to be honest portion size was way, way over the top. For something so rich there is no need to plate up so much, but given the rest of the meal I wasn't complaining about the belly.

Overall, considering all the meals - 7.5/10*

My meal on it's own - 4/10

I did tell the waitress about the "jus" and the spuds, didn't need to say much as almost all of both were still on my plate.

*She came into the pokie room and gave me a pint of West End on the house. Made up for some of the level of disappointment.

I drive past this establishment every day and always wondered... I,ll just keep on driving
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 852 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:32 am

wristwatcher wrote:

$15 for 1/2 dozen kilpatrick to begin with. Very fresh and perfectly covered with kilpatrick, as good as I've had. Unfortunately, it went downhill from there.

Mrs Boon and the little Boon's all went chicken schnitty's which I must say were on the money as far as a schnitty goes. Covered the plate, huge serving of nice chips, what you'd expect from a pub as far as a schnitty goes.

I went to the Specials Board for roast pork belly with a trio of sweet and roasted potatoes and apple cider jus.

Well, the "jus" was more like the scrapings off the bottom of a baking tray that you'd done your spuds in. It was black, like a chutney in consistency, horribly salty and not very appealing at all. Why they put about 8 massive spoonfuls on the plate I don't know.

The "trio" of potatoes should have been advertised as a "burnt to an inch of existence duo" as they sweet potato and spuds were on the cusp of being charcoal only.

The only saving grace, the pork belly was simply perfect and to be honest portion size was way, way over the top. For something so rich there is no need to plate up so much, but given the rest of the meal I wasn't complaining about the belly.

I did tell the waitress about the "jus" and the spuds, didn't need to say much as almost all of both were still on my plate.

*She came into the pokie room and gave me a pint of West End on the house. Made up for some of the level of disappointment.

I drive past this establishment every day and always wondered... I,ll just keep on driving

Its got a great beer garden if you're going in for a pint and a punt
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:33 am

Should have added, the schnitty's were $17 with salad/veggie bar ( which is a good one ),Pork Belly was $23 and not worth it.

Having said that wristy, it's usually a good spot for a feed, just the "special" wasn't so special. Front bar/sports bar have $12 burger and beer at lunch, good value and an excellent sports bar as far as a metro pub goes.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7541 times
Been liked: 10870 times

Postby Spargo » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:41 am

am Bays wrote:
Booney wrote:*She came into the pokie room and gave me a pint of West End on the house. Made up for some of the level of disappointment.

Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner!!!

Adding insult to injury I would've thought...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5587 times
Been liked: 5196 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:47 am

Spargo wrote:
am Bays wrote:
Booney wrote:*She came into the pokie room and gave me a pint of West End on the house. Made up for some of the level of disappointment.

Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner!!!

Adding insult to injury I would've thought...

Yes, considering she'd served me 3 Carlton Draught's in the hour or so before hand....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7541 times
Been liked: 10870 times

Postby Pag » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:40 am

I've read and seen good things about the schnitties at the Seaton, if that's all your after wristy, like Boon said, I'd still stop to try one.
Last edited by Pag on Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:51 am

Booney wrote:
Yes, considering she'd served me 3 Carlton Draught's in the hour or so before hand....

I don't mind either but switching after a few always makes the other one taste like armpit.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4351 times
Been liked: 7956 times

Postby JK » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:27 pm

Years ago, well before the excellent beer garden came along, the Seaton used to do a great Mixed Grill for relatively bugger all (about $10). Other than that, I've always found their food pretty average. Not crap and not great, just average. Majority of their food is deep fried, and I get that means oil, but their food always seems extra greasy. Prefer the Woodville for a decent well priced feed.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4466 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby wristwatcher » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:39 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:

Its got a great beer garden if you're going in for a pint and a punt

With pregnant wife at home the risk of me having a win and "pint and a punt" turning into "pissed and pick me up" is not worth the risk.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:57 pm

Sushi train on the Parade - with NO VOUCHER :shock: :o :shock:

Had 6 different plates between us of varied tastes and flavours with an accompaniment of Soy (Unlmited soy available) and a regretful amount of Wasabi at times. We went as a reward for a healthy 28 week scan and arrived as they opened at 11am. We assumed and it did appear that everything we consumed was fresh as a daisy. An important factor when dealing with raw fish and salmon.

Price with drinks ; $36

Rating ; 8/10

The novelty of fresh food on a conveyer belt obviously bumps up the price a touch. Service was good and once seated they left us alone and we had the whole place to our self. I like the fact you can be eating 60 seconds after entering and exit 60 seconds after the last piece hits the gullet. The Mrs seemed to really enjoy it and its the kind of place that you can take the missus without too much fuss and still expect the reciprocating game of hide the hot dog in the sushi roll.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby HH3 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:34 pm

wristwatcher wrote:Sushi train on the Parade - with NO VOUCHER :shock: :o :shock:

Had 6 different plates between us of varied tastes and flavours with an accompaniment of Soy (Unlmited soy available) and a regretful amount of Wasabi at times. We went as a reward for a healthy 28 week scan and arrived as they opened at 11am. We assumed and it did appear that everything we consumed was fresh as a daisy. An important factor when dealing with raw fish and salmon.

Price with drinks ; $36

Rating ; 8/10

The novelty of fresh food on a conveyer belt obviously bumps up the price a touch. Service was good and once seated they left us alone and we had the whole place to our self. I like the fact you can be eating 60 seconds after entering and exit 60 seconds after the last piece hits the gullet. The Mrs seemed to really enjoy it and its the kind of place that you can take the missus without too much fuss and still expect the reciprocating game of hide the hot dog in the sushi roll.

We go at least once a week. The missus's's favourite place in the world.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Q. » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:43 pm

^^^it's addictive though. Suddenly I'm ten plates high and could still knock off a few more.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby HH3 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:31 pm

Just finishes a meal at the Kings Head on King William St.

Had the chicken schnitty with mushroom gravy. For $20 I was thinking this thing better be huge, and it didnt disappoint.

The missus had the English Breakfast, which seemed like it was meant for two people.

Both meals were $20 each, and with a dark ale and a Sailor Jerrys came to $60.

Not bad. We'll be back
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:30 pm

Harris Curry House at Walkleys Heights. "New"

You don't even get a revue. Sultanas are for sultana bran, not curries and not dozens of them. Meat is the base not over spiced sauce and mysterious pieces of stuff.

Mango Lassi was OK, Naan bread is very hard to stuff up and they really nailed the plain rice.

$45 not well spent. Highly unlikely to return

3/10
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:33 pm

Some joint is changing names to Bar Social in August I think.

some promo about schnitty's on a Wednesday night

Something for the northerners to think about
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11997 times
Been liked: 3666 times

Postby The Ash Man » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:49 pm

wristwatcher wrote:Harris Curry House at Walkleys Heights. "New"

You don't even get a revue. Sultanas are for sultana bran, not curries and not dozens of them. Meat is the base not over spiced sauce and mysterious pieces of stuff.

Mango Lassi was OK, Naan bread is very hard to stuff up and they really nailed the plain rice.

3/10

You were only a few kms from Beyond India. Never been disappointed there
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Groover » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:00 pm

My best mate has recently bought into the Monica's restaurant at blakeview, if anyone wants to go in, have a try and review it, that would be great.
I would review but I guess I'd be rather biased!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hogg Shield Premier League Winner 2012
Groover
League - Top 5

Has liked: 225 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:30 pm

The Ash Man wrote:

3/10

You were only a few kms from Beyond India. Never been disappointed there

Agreed Beyond India Butter Chicken and cheeses naan is always solid. Just trying to support a new local. Literally less than a km from my house and the Pizza bar, chicken shop and super market have never let me down.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Spargo » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:36 pm

3/10

Did you tell them Wristy?
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5587 times
Been liked: 5196 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:41 pm

Spargo wrote:

3/10

Did you tell them Wristy?

Nah mate. The Mrs had it delivered and I didn't get home from work until about 8 Friday. TBH I don't think there is much point as it is that far off good I don't think it could be fixed to suit my palate. In their defence the Mrs didn't think it was as bad as I did but the leftovers are still in the fridge and she is pregnant and I am fat. If it was good it would be gone
wristwatcher
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion