Things that make you laugh

Anything!

Re: Things that make you laugh

Postby Spargo » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:19 am

Failed Creation wrote:
bennymacca wrote:People are so hypocritical though. They long for people with personality that make the sport watchable, then cut them down when they do something out of the ordinary.

Do we want to watch two robots go at it? Raonic looked like he was asleep when he was playing. If his serve wasnt faster than the speed of sound he would be boring as batshit to watch.

There's a big difference between 'having personality' and 'being a douche' though...

This site is testament to that...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5494 times
Been liked: 5136 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Failed Creation » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:21 am

Spargo wrote:
Failed Creation wrote:
bennymacca wrote:People are so hypocritical though. They long for people with personality that make the sport watchable, then cut them down when they do something out of the ordinary.

Do we want to watch two robots go at it? Raonic looked like he was asleep when he was playing. If his serve wasnt faster than the speed of sound he would be boring as batshit to watch.

There's a big difference between 'having personality' and 'being a douche' though...

It's safe to say that I'm in the latter category.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Failed Creation » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:22 am

bennymacca wrote:the pressure of being a 20 year old suddenly thrust into the spotlight and the weight of expectation can rapidly tip that balance though.

Im willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Similar to Hewitt.

If he is 25 and still carrying on then I will rethink my opinion

I never liked Hewitt either, after I had a scuffle with him outside Memorial Drive one year.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:27 am

HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7930 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:28 am

Failed Creation wrote:
bennymacca wrote:the pressure of being a 20 year old suddenly thrust into the spotlight and the weight of expectation can rapidly tip that balance though.

I never liked Hewitt either, after I had a scuffle with him outside Memorial Drive one year.

We have a habit of producing unpopular tennis players, unless their name is Patrick.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby fisho mcspaz » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:35 am

Agreed 100%. I cringed during that game against Gasquet but honestly, the swearing and talking back to umpires doesn't bother me - if you search YouTube you'll find plenty of instances where other players have lost their temper in the heat of the moment, including Federer. I'm not saying it's acceptable to lose your rag, or particularly endearing, but the Australian media is carrying on like Kyrgios is the only person who's ever behaved like this. When he interacts with the crowd they take it out of context - the 'Oi, where're you going?' remark during the Aussie Open is a prime example - and the amount of vitriol directed at him in Australian news articles is astonishing. There's a difference between a news article and an opinion column, and sadly our sports journos seem to have forgotten this.

Nick Kyrgios is still young - give him time. Back when Hewitt was dating Princess Fiona, he had an attitude as well. :D

That being said, I can't extend the same sympathy to Bernard Tomic, who is quiet and methodical on court but a self-entitled turd off it. He needs to get rid of his father, who reminds me of Damir Dokic, and surround himself with people who will give him a reality check instead of egging him on to bite the hand that feeds him.
Hey Goose, ya big stud! Take me to bed or lose me for ever.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 111 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby HH3 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:45 am

Spargo wrote:
Failed Creation wrote:

Hi
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:46 am

fisho mcspaz wrote:

Agreed 100%. I cringed during that game against Gasquet but honestly, the swearing and talking back to umpires doesn't bother me - if you search YouTube you'll find plenty of instances where other players have lost their temper in the heat of the moment, including Federer. I'm not saying it's acceptable to lose your rag, or particularly endearing, but the Australian media is carrying on like Kyrgios is the only person who's ever behaved like this. When he interacts with the crowd they take it out of context - the 'Oi, where're you going?' remark during the Aussie Open is a prime example - and the amount of vitriol directed at him in Australian news articles is astonishing. There's a difference between a news article and an opinion column, and sadly our sports journos seem to have forgotten this.

Nick Kyrgios is still young - give him time. Back when Hewitt was dating Princess Fiona, he had an attitude as well. :D

That being said, I can't extend the same sympathy to Bernard Tomic, who is quiet and methodical on court but a self-entitled turd off it. He needs to get rid of his father, who reminds me of Damir Dokic, and surround himself with people who will give him a reality check instead of egging him on to bite the hand that feeds him.

Good post. And yeah My patience has ran out with Tomic.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:47 am

Problem with tennis, a spot in the round of 16 is viewed as a remarkable achievement when in real terms it isn't.

Then a win in some meaningless Invitational on the back blocks of Slovenia where first prize is a cow is a crowning glory.

If and when Kyrgios achieves something other than being a flog I'll dip my cap to him. While he's earning squllions bowing out with a week to go in tournaments and being a cock, I won't.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7501 times
Been liked: 10794 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:20 pm

Booney wrote:Problem with tennis, a spot in the round of 16 is viewed as a remarkable achievement when in real terms it isn't.

Then a win in some meaningless Invitational on the back blocks of Slovenia where first prize is a cow is a crowning glory.

If and when Kyrgios achieves something other than being a flog I'll dip my cap to him. While he's earning squllions bowing out with a week to go in tournaments and being a cock, I won't.

Sorry Booney but this is complete rubbish. Grand slam tournaments are bloody hard to win. Since Marat Safin won the 2005 Australian open, how many different men have won a grand slam? The answer is 7. (Federer, Djokovic, Nadal, Murray, Wawrinka, Cilic, Del Potro)

So to say that making a grand slam 4th round isnt an achievement is not true.

Also, Invitational? There is no invitationals in tennis unless you count something like the World Tennis Challenge which doesnt even count for rankings points.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby David Brent » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:32 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Failed Creation wrote:

We have a habit of producing unpopular tennis players, unless their name is Patrick.

Do we? or do we as a nation now have it against most Aussie Tennis Players that come through with exceptional talent but never seem to achieve what they should? Tomic, The Poo, Stosur, Kyrigos for example. We seem to shot them down very quickly..

Whereas the only tennis players we love are battlers who get the most out of their limited ability eg: Molik, Arthurs & the Woodies who excelled in competitions that no one even cares for??
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:34 pm

I see the problem here. It's tennis. Tennis is shit.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:36 pm

Wondering what booney thinks about Stosur since she is the only Australian in the past 13 years to "win anything"

Booney wrote:I see the problem here. It's tennis. Tennis is shit.

Nobody forces you to watch or comment though
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:43 pm

David Brent wrote:Do we? or do we as a nation now have it against most Aussie Tennis Players that come through with exceptional talent but never seem to achieve what they should? Tomic, The Poo, Stosur, Kyrigos for example. We seem to shot them down very quickly..

Whereas the only tennis players we love are battlers who get the most out of their limited ability eg: Molik, Arthurs & the Woodies who excelled in competitions that no one even cares for??

Stosur is great, it's the ones that come out like Mundine that irks the average Aussie.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:43 pm

It should be played naked
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:49 pm

bennymacca wrote:Wondering what booney thinks about Stosur since she is the only Australian in the past 13 years to "win anything"

Nobody forces you to watch or comment though

I don't watch it, it bores me stupid. However, when an Australian makes the headlines for all the wrong reasons in any sporting pursuit it interests me, I love sports (some more than others) and I'm interested in Australians on the world stage.

Stosur? Maybe she just got lucky once......
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:53 pm

Booney wrote:I don't watch it, it bores me stupid. However, when an Australian makes the headlines for all the wrong reasons in any sporting pursuit it interests me, I love sports (some more than others) and I'm interested in Australians on the world stage.

thats fair.

I honestly think it is just the nature of tennis - because it is an individual sport you have nowhere to hide when you act like a bit of a dick.

Compare with the australian cricket team. Can you imagine if we could hear every single sledge from every one of them?

Public opinion would change a lot imo.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:54 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Booney wrote:I don't watch it, it bores me stupid. However, when an Australian makes the headlines for all the wrong reasons in any sporting pursuit it interests me, I love sports (some more than others) and I'm interested in Australians on the world stage.

thats fair.

I honestly think it is just the nature of tennis - because it is an individual sport you have nowhere to hide when you act like a bit of a dick.

Compare with the australian cricket team. Can you imagine if we could hear every single sledge from every one of them?

Public opinion would change a lot imo.

There's sledging and there's tantrums.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:57 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Next thing you'll want the blokes playing 7 sets
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4462 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:58 pm

JK wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Next thing you'll want the blokes playing 7 sets

First to 12.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion