ASX

Anything!

ASX

Postby Punk Rooster » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:35 am

Having decided I may wish to tie up some money (un-defined period), is now the "right" time to invest in the ASX?
The company I'm looking at invests broadly across the ASX, hence I believe it would reflect the overall state of the ASX- is this somewhat correct?
Appreciate any feedback, or alternate options....
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Re: ASX

Postby smac » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:44 am

I suggest you consult a broker.

DJ Carmichael (based in Perth) handle everything I do, have been pretty spot on with most predictions they have made for me.

I would personally suggest staying out of finance, and getting into mining - pretty obvious advice mind you.

Having said all of that, the investment company you are looking at are probably as good as a broker in most respects, lessening your risk (and subsequent returns most likely) by spreading it around a lot more.

There are always gains to be made in the market, it's never a bad time.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Hondo » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:53 am

Yes, SMAC is wise ... speak to a broker Punky

Now is probably a good a time with prices at a low point

Argo Investments or similar are a safer option because they invest in so many companies they get buffered from part of the general ASX price movement. But a broker would be able to pin-point some potential bargain stocks so you might end up changing the way you want to go.
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby Psyber » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:57 am

hondo71 wrote:Yes, SMAC is wise ... speak to a broker Punky

Now is probably a good a time with prices at a low point

Argo Investments or similar are a safer option because they invest in so many companies they get buffered from part of the general ASX price movement. But a broker would be able to pin-point some potential bargains and you might end up changing the way you want to go.

Just remember to negotiate what percentage of the investment they charge you - it will drop if you get up to go elsewhere - but be sure the drop is recorded in the paper they give you to sign. I went to a guy once and reached agreement but the paperwork offered quoted the full rate despite what we had agreed. When I noticed he said it was an oversight, but I went elsewhere anyway!
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:33 pm

Punk Rooster wrote:Having decided I may wish to tie up some money (un-defined period), is now the "right" time to invest in the ASX?
The company I'm looking at invests broadly across the ASX, hence I believe it would reflect the overall state of the ASX- is this somewhat correct?

Put it on red you weak bastard.
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby redden whites » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:42 pm

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
Punk Rooster wrote:Having decided I may wish to tie up some money (un-defined period), is now the "right" time to invest in the ASX?

Put it on red you weak bastard.

GOLD :lol:
redden whites
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby MightyEagles » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:15 pm

I'd ask an adviser who handles these's things. But I believe it just about now to put some money into the market, if you have the money, but that's just me.
WOOOOO, Premiers 1993, 2006 and 2011!
Eagles - P 528 W 320 L 205 D 3 W% 60.89
WFC - P 575 W 160 L 411 D 4 W% 28.17
WTFC - P 1568 W 702 L 841 D 25 W% 45.56
Total - P 2671 W 1183 L 1457 D 32 W% 44.88
3 Flags - 1 Club
MightyEagles
Coach

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: United Eagles

Postby Psyber » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:55 pm

Broad advice. When the market falls then pauses, buy.
Psyber
Coach

Postby bulldogproud » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:21 pm

However, looking at the state of the world economy (particularly the US) now would perhaps not be the best time to buy. Recessions are about to happen broadly. I would still expect share prices to rise but by nowhere near the rates they have done until recently. However, do as many of the posters say, get advice from a broker.
Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby devilsadvocate » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:03 pm

It's looking like a far better time to invest than mid to late 2007 when the market was starting to get a little ahead of itself. Given prices have dropped 11% or so this year, it's looking like a reasonable time to start assessing companies in some industries.

As has been noted above, I would be a little wary of financials due to the jitters being experienced by any company that makes an announcement with the word 'credit' in it.

There are a number of great quality Listed Investment Companies (LIC's) that as you say invest broadly accross the ASX. Argo & Australian Foundation Investment Company are two of the biggest, but there at least 4-5 others with decent track records. The only thing to consider with these companies at the moment is they will still have a large holding in the financial sector.

If you are interested in learning more, I'd highly recomment a book called 'The Intelligent Investor' by Benjamin Graham. It's an old book, but has had numerouse revisions and additions and is prefaced by Warren Buffet. Benjamin Graham taught Warrne Buffet the principles which have helped him build up net wealth of over $56 BILLION USD. It's fair to say, that this guy knows what he's talking about and the book will make you change they way you look at the stock market forever.

Finally, if you do go to an investment advisor, remember that NOBODY and I mean NOT ONE PERSON IN THE HISTORY OF THE STOCKMARKET can predict the future. The market is an irrational beast which can make you stinking rich and desperately poor overnight and it's swings and roundabouts cannot be accurately predicted by ANYBODY.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby devilsadvocate » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:08 am

Forgot to mention too, here are some good sites I use to keep track of the stockmarket:

(mods - please pull post this if it's infringing on any SAFooty rules)

http://www.bigcharts.com - look at charts of Aussie stocks by placing "au:" ahead of the ticker code - ie au:BHP

http://www.compareshares.com.au - excellent news site which is maintained by the team that used to contribute to the now defunct Shares Magazine.

http://www.sharescene.com.au - sharemarket forum that's largely egotistical rubbish, but is great for getting a feel for what other market punters are doing.

http://www.hotcopper.com.au - another sharemarket forum which is full of complete garbage, but is good for alerting you to some speculative stocks as they take off.

Finally, the finance sections on both the Yahoo and Ninemsn sites have some useful tools and information.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby devilsadvocate » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:10 am

Buuuump :D

Anyone interested in the stock market? Probably not given the lack of attention this thread has had.

Anyhoo, thought I'd pose a few questions in light of the current turmoil.

Anyone else getting in at the moment?
Anyone thinking of selling?
Anyone refusing to look at the damage to their finances?

Hopefully not too many on here have been seriously burned by the latest developments. I'm using it as a great time to buy up a few that have been way, way, way overdone IMO.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby CENTURION » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:13 am

MONEY = DRUGS & HOOKERS, YOU JUST CAN'T GO WRONG! :wink:
Member No. 988 & PROUD to sponsor The CDFC!!
CENTURION
Coach

Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 112 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Punk Rooster » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:47 am

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18399

I decided that particular event was political as much as anything else.

My Super had already taken a hit prior to these latest events, but as I'm in it for the long haul, I'm believing it to be a blip on the radar.
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:21 am

devilsadvocate wrote:Buuuump :D

Anyone interested in the stock market? Probably not given the lack of attention this thread has had.

Anyhoo, thought I'd pose a few questions in light of the current turmoil.

Anyone else getting in at the moment?
Anyone thinking of selling?
Anyone refusing to look at the damage to their finances?

Hopefully not too many on here have been seriously burned by the latest developments. I'm using it as a great time to buy up a few that have been way, way, way overdone IMO.

I purchased some mining shares in March at $2.50. They went up to $5.12 and are now $1.10 and falling. I'm not selling because I'm not too concerned. I have only a few hundred shares, so nothing too much to concern myself with.

I heard an old bloke on the news last night saying that he's taking the opportunity to get on board the blue chip shares because they wont be this low again possibly ever. I'm inclined to agree. He also added that "I might even sell them tomorrow". Which meant to me... he was confident the market was going back up TODAY. Overnight, Wall St improved, so I'm jumping in and getting a meagre amount of BHP shares. Meagre as in, if I lose the money completely (not likely) I'm not financially distraught! I'll assess tomorrow whether they've gone up enough to keep or sell. If they go down, so be it.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:27 am

Yep looking to purchase some low hanging blue chippers....great opportunity if your looking for a long term investment
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Psyber » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:14 pm

I'm watching the share market, but not changing anything yet.

I'm happy with the longer term outlook of my mainly financial and resource based portfolio.
The only things I may want to dump are some QANTAS shares I inherited, but I'll wait for a rally over the next six months or so. If they fall over it is not a big deal - I have a broad spread.
I also have some Fosters shares I am ambivalent about, and I have a moral dilemma about being a part owner of Telstra.
Psyber
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:15 pm

Missed out on BHP, but got ANZ instead.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Squawk » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:40 pm

Mining not immune - our big buyers would have been buffered by their links to the US market.
Speak to a broker, yes. Stocks can be bought, just gotta get the right ones. You could also consider commodities like grain or currencies. Argo is a great company H31.

Another option - but get advice - is US real estate. I've heard of houses selling for $6,000 at the moment because banks dont want to have property portfolios and when people default on their mortgages, they are making quick fire sales.

As always, get good advice though!
Steve Bradbury and Michael Milton. Aussie Legends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnztSjUB2U
Squawk
Assistant Coach

Been liked: 3 times

Postby Squawk » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:43 pm

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,24423786-5006301,00.html

Gotta "love" the ad on the Advertiser website from Care Super that says "At least her super is sitting pretty".
:oops:
Did News Ltd and Care Super overlook the fact that there has been a financial meltdown taking place, and everyone's superannuation has been mauled as a result? :shock:

I'd love to know what the bottom line return / impact on funds invested with care super has been in the current period? If theeir fund has lost 8-10% in the last year like most of the others, is their fund sitting pretty? I dont think so.
Steve Bradbury and Michael Milton. Aussie Legends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnztSjUB2U
Squawk
Assistant Coach

Been liked: 3 times

Next

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion