Things that you rate!

Anything!

Re: Things that you rate!

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:40 am

I went along to the ice hockey on Saturday :

With mainstream sports around Australia laying claim to the standard nicknames the likes the Eagles, Magpies and Lions the sports most of us associate with North America are left to pick names that aren’t synonymous with sporting franchises. This was no more evident than on Saturday afternoon when I visited the IceArena to watch the Adelaide Adrenaline host the Sydney Ice Dogs in the Australian Ice Hockey League (AIHL).

I’d been to the ice hockey many, many years ago when my older brother had a short but unsuccessful sortie in the sport. He could certainly skate and enjoyed the physical nature of the game but felt that it was time to call it a day when he was checked up against the wall and used his collar bone to break his jaw. Needless to say our Mother was all for an early retirement, too.

Our of the companies who supplies services to my employer sponsors a player, Marcel McGuiness ( who is listed as a defender, not sure how, more on that later ) and through this sponsorship has 3 reserved seats and I was most appreciative of being offered one of those seats for the afternoon. In a most pleasing twist the side is sponsored by Big Shed Brewing so some more than acceptable beverages are on offer. Yes, I will, thank you and given the nature of the host it was more than once.

A little out of touch with the rules I thought it best I scrub up on the basics so, to the uninitiated, ice hockey is played across 3 periods and I can’t explain as to why but the periods go 15 minutes, 15 minutes and 20 minutes. Whoever invented ice hockey must have also had a hand in the scoring system for tennis. They’re probably also responsible for those Facebook puzzles where 3 bananas = 6 points and you get stumped on the last line as they’ve take one banana away. You know the ones, but back to the hockey. The 15/15/20 minute periods are broken up by two 15 minute breaks, so play 15 and have 15 off. Generous, I thought, given the frenetic nature of the sport would make it almost impossible to engage in tactics during the breaks. Defenders are forward, forwards are defenders and midfielders are everything at once. This is where I got lost on the positions the players are listed to play in as none of them seemed to have time to lob into their preferred positions.

With a maximum of 20 players on each side and 6 at any given time on the ice the game is played at high octane speed. Interchanges are constant, there must have been a conveyor belt under the stands we were in as one player would fly off underneath us only to be replaced by another getting shot out the other end. It’s basically sprint up, sprint back, get hit, come off completely gassed.

The Adrenaline got scoring underway with 6 minutes remaining in the first period and the healthy crowd of around 200 people made some noise. As with all American sports the PA is constantly asking for you to clap/stomp along to We will rock you or blasting out some sick guitar ‘lics. It’s entertainment. Unfortunately the Ice Dogs drew level almost immediately and within a minute had taken a 2-1 lead into the first break and the home crowd wasn’t too pleased. ( At this point it’s best I point out the Adrenaline went into the series 0-11 on the season ). The first period saw 4 penalties, 3 Ice Dogs penalised and 1 Adrenaline player sent to the bin / naughty corner for 2 minutes for tripping, interference and checking. During this 2 minutes the player can’t be replaced ( a Power Play ) so it’s 6 on 5 for 2 minutes. Neither team took advantage of this advantage.

During the first break a young lady hit the ice and offered the crowd some entertainment with a figure skating routine. If I know very little about hockey I know even less about figure skating so I’m not very well placed to judge her efforts, needless to say they would be better than anything I could muster up.

The second period went by without any goals being added and there were no penalties. A largely uneventful period if not for my host pouring half his beer down my left hand side. Icy air, cold beer, wet strides. Excellent.

The third period pretty much all went Sydney’s way. 2 goals to none, 3 penalties on Adelaide and Sydney score during one of those Power Plays. A 4-1 loss and the crowd made their way outside to warm up a little. With Sunday’s second leg of the double header going the way of the Ice Dogs the Adrenaline find themselves 0-13 from 14 games on the foot of the ladder with their only point coming from an overtime loss. In what I understand is a rebuilding phase for the side season 2019 might be one to forget or one that is the start of something more significant.

I have to say I’ll be back to watch another game in the not too distant future. Entry is $19 for adults, drinks are affordable ( and in the big red party cups good value ), the game is great to watch live and the crowd certainly get involved. Some regular fans leading a chorus of “Let’s Go Adelaide Let’s Go” chants amongst others. Whilst the crowd isn’t huge ( perhaps on the back of the season ) it’s a passionate mob, almost to a man/woman they are decked out in some form of Adrenaline attire, jerseys, beanies, jackets, hoodies and shirts on display suggest there’s plenty of people invested in the Adrenaline and the AIHL.

I suggest you too invest in an afternoon at the ice hockey and support the side representing our state in the AIHL, it might just get your Adrenaline pumping.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7488 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:48 am

Pretty good summary there Boon and as someone who does consider myself a expert in the sport your summary is pretty close to the mark. Most major comps around the world including the NHL have 3x 20 minute periods. The 15/15/20 is an Australian adaptation of the game. Due to other commitments I haven’t been down this season but have attended regularly in the past and it is usually a good day/night out.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:01 am

Jim05 wrote:Pretty good summary there Boon and as someone who does consider myself a expert in the sport your summary is pretty close to the mark. Most major comps around the world including the NHL have 3x 20 minute periods. The 15/15/20 is an Australian adaptation of the game. Due to other commitments I haven’t been down this season but have attended regularly in the past and it is usually a good day/night out.

So one team has the breeze twice and the other team once?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:03 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Pretty good summary there Boon and as someone who does consider myself a expert in the sport your summary is pretty close to the mark. Most major comps around the world including the NHL have 3x 20 minute periods. The 15/15/20 is an Australian adaptation of the game. Due to other commitments I haven’t been down this season but have attended regularly in the past and it is usually a good day/night out.

If there is any breeze indoors you are in strife [emoji23]
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:20 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Yes, but the team with the breeze in the first and third go up hill.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:32 am

To bad If one is the 'goal scoring end' :)
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:10 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Cotchin would still hit into the breeze first!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2516 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:40 am

Nice sunny day, just went down to Grange and watched the FA-18 fly over, now about to head out to Edinburgh for a meeting, good day to be out of the office and away from the desk.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:50 am

Modern Day Technology.

I often hate it, I think phones, texting in particular have made us lazy and unsocial but sometimes something happens that makes me really appreciate the new era.

I remember being a kid and forgetting an excursion note and your day was from hell spending it in the library while your classmates were off out for the day.

This morning my lad rang me in a mad panic as he'd left his note in the car for an excursion today, after grilling him somewhat for his general forgetfulness and leaving shit to the last minute he said "Dad, can you just get it out of your car please, scan it to my email address and I'll go to the library and print it out".

Yeah, problem solvered.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:55 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Modern Day Technology.

I often hate it, I think phones, texting in particular have made us lazy and unsocial but sometimes something happens that makes me really appreciate the new era.

I remember being a kid and forgetting an excursion note and your day was from hell spending it in the library while your classmates were off out for the day.

This morning my lad rang me in a mad panic as he'd left his note in the car for an excursion today, after grilling him somewhat for his general forgetfulness and leaving shit to the last minute he said "Dad, can you just get it out of your car please, scan it to my email address and I'll go to the library and print it out".

Yeah, problem solvered.

Should have made him learn his lesson in the library.

I would have done the same as you and that’s half the problem these days.
We’re too soft as parents.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:58 am

amber_fluid wrote:We’re too soft as parents.

We're soft on them, no doubt, you and I would have heard "What are you crying for? Wait until your father gets home, then you'll have something to cry about!"

But compared to parents whose 13 year old is breaking into an RSL and then torching a car the day after they've been arrested we're champions.

Little ****.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Pseudo » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:59 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Modern Day Technology.

Yeah, problem solvered.

My young fella frequently leaves his cello at home and doesn't realise until I drop him at school, necessitating a return home to pick it up and second trip to the school.

Next time he forgets his cello I'll simply snap a picture of it and email it to the school's front office. 8)
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:00 pm

amber_fluid wrote:Should have made him learn his lesson in the library.

I would have done the same as you and that’s half the problem these days.
We’re too soft as parents.

He had to listen to my rant, that was enough, he was rooted if I had to actually do anything, I was impressed with his initiative.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:03 pm

Pseudo wrote:
My young fella frequently leaves his cello at home and doesn't realise until I drop him at school, necessitating a return home to pick it up and second trip to the school.

Next time he forgets his cello I'll simply snap a picture of it and email it to the school's front office. 8)

Easy thing to forget, they aren't very big :lol:

My lad has left his wallet and phones on the train or bus, his best effort was getting a box of fundraising chocolates at the end of the school day and leaving them on the bus without selling a single bar.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:23 pm

Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:We’re too soft as parents.

We're soft on them, no doubt, you and I would have heard "What are you crying for? Wait until your father gets home, then you'll have something to cry about!"

But compared to parents whose 13 year old is breaking into an RSL and then torching a car the day after they've been arrested we're champions.

Little ****.

As soon as I heard ‘wait until your father gets home’, that was enough for me to pull my head in.
My kids cheer when my wife says it now. :lol:
Last edited by amber_fluid on Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:24 pm

At least he had a solution to his problem LM.

Technology has its benefits, snapchat maps is an awesome tool to know where your kids are and keep an eye on them as they wander the streets or go to the shops etc.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:26 pm

amber_fluid wrote:As soon as I heard ‘what until your father gets home’, that was enough for me to pull my head in.
My kids cheer when my wife says it now. :lol:

My older brother used to run amok as a kid and quite often got in trouble, seeing the old man deal with him was enough to keep me from getting in the poop.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:29 pm

My FIL who is closing in on 80, has booked a one way ticket to Greece this August, I rate that he is going and also doesn't want to book the return leg yet as he may "stay a while"
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:31 pm

Dutchy wrote:At least he had a solution to his problem LM.

Technology has its benefits, snapchat maps is an awesome tool to know where your kids are and keep an eye on them as they wander the streets or go to the shops etc.

Absolutely, I was most impressed, we use the same thing to know where they are or where their phone is at least.

When we moved in December my daughter caught the train to our new house and took a wrong track then rang me hysterically having a total anxiety attack as she was completely lost, I told her to facetime me and put the camera facing away from her and was able to guide her to some familiar territory, as well as comfort her back into a relaxed state.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:31 pm

Dutchy wrote:My FIL who is closing in on 80, has booked a one way ticket to Greece this August, I rate that he is going and also doesn't want to book the return leg yet as he may "stay a while"

:lol: :lol:
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion