Things that you rate!

Anything!

Re: Things that you rate!

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:40 pm

Corona Man wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:My O'Connells leg of ham.....
Superbly moist

Running down your inside thigh?
Yep....

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3581 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:40 pm

DOC wrote:I assume they are his own work?
Yep

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:50 pm

Moving out of my apartment into a townhouse. Note- see things that give you the s****
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3459 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Grenville » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:31 am

Pulling up ok after yesterdays session at the German Arms. About 6 full steins each and 18-20 of the sample paddles between 7 of us, I fell asleep rather quickly last night.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:12 pm

Neil Oliver and his storytelling.
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:11 am

I started running about a month ago. Just doing 2.5km and 4.5km as I am starting from a pretty low point. But on Sunday morning for the first time since I was in my early teens I ran 10km. Bit sore today but pulled up ok. Wasn’t exactly record breaking time but I am just rapt I didn’t stop running the whole time. I’ll go for another run tonight.
So it’s good to finally start to seeing some results.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3015 times
Been liked: 2383 times

Postby RustyCage » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:21 am

Seeing this up at the Port Club. Would love to see what other Port-Torrens things exist, if anything
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:52 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:I started running about a month ago. Just doing 2.5km and 4.5km as I am starting from a pretty low point. But on Sunday morning for the first time since I was in my early teens I ran 10km. Bit sore today but pulled up ok. Wasn’t exactly record breaking time but I am just rapt I didn’t stop running the whole time. I’ll go for another run tonight.

Aren't you getting tired?

I can't even text while walking, never tried it running.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby MW » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:57 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:I started running about a month ago. Just doing 2.5km and 4.5km as I am starting from a pretty low point. But on Sunday morning for the first time since I was in my early teens I ran 10km. Bit sore today but pulled up ok. Wasn’t exactly record breaking time but I am just rapt I didn’t stop running the whole time. I’ll go for another run tonight.

Mate if only I had known during the HSR course! Love my running.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1821 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:37 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Aren't you getting tired?

I can't even text while walking, never tried it running.

"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3015 times
Been liked: 2383 times

Postby valleys07 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:44 pm

The return of the urn.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby nuggety goodness » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:11 am

Christmas bargains.

JBHiFi had a 21.5inch monitor on special for $99 (officeworks had a similar onecwithout HDMI connections RRP $194).

Websitr said they had all sold out within 200kms. We called Elizabeth just in case but gone there. Then called Munno. They had the display model still and gave it to us for $80. Pretty happy with that, couldn't have got it on gumtree that cheap!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I am not talking to you for 3 minutes because you punched me in the head and it hurt and that was not okay for you to do
nuggety goodness
League - Top 5

Has liked: 329 times
Been liked: 219 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby JK » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:46 am

Listening to Scott Leckey address the room at the Watermark Punters Club Christmas show on Sunday, hard not to get choked up hearing not only his story, but his inspirational outlook on life.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2984 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby valleys07 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:01 pm

JK wrote:Listening to Scott Leckey address the room at the Watermark Punters Club Christmas show on Sunday, hard not to get choked up hearing not only his story, but his inspirational outlook on life.

I just read a random article on the incident, as I wasn't familiar. Wow.

This extract got me:

“When I enter a new place, I try to do it with a smile. I try and say good morning to everyone,” he said.

“People tell me I could be saying anything, down in the dumps. But I’m not. I don’t want to be ... because that’s how you remember me. These were the cards we were dealt and, in hindsight, the fall has made me a better person.

“I will do whatever I can to promote Territory racing because I wouldn’t be anyone without their help. It can seriously be a life-taking job, but we all know that.”

Sometimes we need to hear these stories, just to bring us back a peg or two..
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby JK » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:18 pm

valleys07 wrote:
JK wrote:Listening to Scott Leckey address the room at the Watermark Punters Club Christmas show on Sunday, hard not to get choked up hearing not only his story, but his inspirational outlook on life.

I just read a random article on the incident, as I wasn't familiar. Wow.

This extract got me:

“When I enter a new place, I try to do it with a smile. I try and say good morning to everyone,” he said.

“People tell me I could be saying anything, down in the dumps. But I’m not. I don’t want to be ... because that’s how you remember me. These were the cards we were dealt and, in hindsight, the fall has made me a better person.

“I will do whatever I can to promote Territory racing because I wouldn’t be anyone without their help. It can seriously be a life-taking job, but we all know that.”

Sometimes we need to hear these stories, just to bring us back a peg or two..

Yep, given what he's been through (a priest had been in to administer last rights) he has an incredibly positive outlook and nature. Perspective is everything.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2984 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby bennymacca » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:02 pm

Not familiar with the name. What’s his story?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:11 pm

bennymacca wrote:Not familiar with the name. What’s his story?

JULY 27, 2007. Almost 10 years ago to the day. The Fannie Bay Turf Club stood still in a moment of horror. Thousands of race goers watched on, drinks in hand, not saying a word, as a promising jockey came close to losing his life.

It was a three-horse fall that left Scott Leckey, then 23, fighting for his life. Two other jockeys — Brian Johns and Tasha Chambers — also suffered injuries. Johns had two broken wrists and Chambers was taken to hospital suffering concussion. She was X-rayed for lower back injuries before being discharged.

The fall occurred near the 600m mark of race five of the Metric Mile Day, when Chambers’ mount Roshaan appeared to clip heels and dipped, tossing Chambers from her mount. Johns, aboard Migaloo, and Leckey, on Encosta Dior, were both travelling behind Roshaan and had nowhere to go, resulting in them both falling heavily.

“I can’t recall anything, but I can tell you what I have been told,” Leckey said recently.

“It was a three-horse fall, and I was running about third last and Chambers was riding about third, and Roshaan moved out ... which downed (Johns) and then I was the third one to come off,” Leckey said.

“It was just bang, bang, bang. I’ve seen the fall 30 dozen times, but I cannot remember one thing.

“I was in the middle of the fall. I went over one of them and I landed on top of another, and the horse got up and trod on me, but I don’t know if it was on my head or something. I don’t know the detail. I’m not sure.”

Leckey’s injuries were horrendous. He was left with bleeding and bruising to the brain, two cracked vertebrae in his neck, and a broken rib.

He stopped breathing on the track and was taken to Royal Darwin Hospital in a critical but stable condition.

He was put in an induced coma in intensive care while the swelling on his brain went down. At the time, Leckey’s manager Mal James said the doctors were “basically happy” with Leckey’s condition, but were going to keep him in a coma for several days to allow him to stabilise.

Leckey spent two years in hospital, learning to walk, breathe and talk again. He lost most of his memory for a significant period of time before and after the accident, and was attached to a tracheostomy, which he described as a “disgusting, fist-sized” hole in his throat.

“I can’t remember about six months prior and two years after. I’d lost massive parts of my memory. I had a tracheostomy. That’s where they cut your neck because it took me months to breathe. My brain was f---ed up,” he said.

Leckey originally started riding in Darwin and was apprenticed to Stephen Brown, who at the time trained in Macau, before moving to Adelaide for more experience.

Following the Darwin Cup in 2007 Leckey was set to fly to Macau for a month-long contract with Brown.

Before the fall, Leckey took out the third race on the program with the ironically-named Call Me Lucky.

He hadn’t always wanted to be a jockey — his dad Tom was a professional soccer player and Leckey originally envisaged his career going down that path, but an issue he had faced before reared its ugly head again — he was too small.

“I was always pushed off the ball too easily,” he said.

“But my father lived close to a racetrack and I was 15, (tiny) at 15. I was taught to ride and then away I went. I loved it. I’ve always been a bit of an (adrenaline junkie) and live on the edge, and when riding came along my way, I went from leading a horse through the stables to riding in a month or two, galloping down the track. I just rode naturally.

“I had it all in front of me. I’m not saying any s***, but I was too good for Darwin. I needed to move forward in standards and then that’s why I went to Adelaide, because I had ridden all my winners in Darwin. ”

“I had it all in front of me, but I never got there. Who knows what I would have achieved?”

Now 33, Scott has transformed his life. A motivational speaker, he’s also requested at multiple races around the country to speak about overcoming his injuries, and still enjoys a good day at the races as much as anyone.

He even won Fashions on the Field at the Darwin Cup Carnival three years ago, taking to the stage in a natty suit
with silk handkerchief, and purple shirt and tie.

But his health issues are ongoing, and will be for the rest of his life. He still has several gym and speech therapy sessions each week, and used a wheelchair for the first four years before learning to walk with a stick. Now he can drive a modified car and rode a horse for the first time four years ago along Mindil Beach.

“Racing is still my life,” he said.

“I worship horses because I’ve been around them all my working life and, even after the fall, I still love them.”

He’s optimistic about the future, and has endless thanks for the people who have cared for him since the fall, including the nurses, doctors, speech pathologists and physiotherapists.

He has a particular soft spot for his dad though.

“My dad was there from the beginning. I don’t know where I’d be without him. He came up to Darwin when I was in a coma and he was there for months,” Leckey said.

And he’s more determined than ever to live a full life.

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:40 pm

So he was seriously injured in a racing fall?

Maybe I should just google :)
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:43 pm

At least for someone who has little interest in racing, it’s easy to forget how dangerous it is

http://www.ntnews.com.au/news/northern- ... 9f785df516
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:09 pm

Putting $20 in the sportsbet account while I was at the pub yesterday and turning it into $425 by nights end thanks to a couple of arsey two and three dollar tri's on the dogs, very timely.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion