Interest Rates/Aust economy discussion

Anything!

Re: INTEREST RATES go up

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:55 pm

Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11850 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby Psyber » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:30 pm

devilsadvocate wrote: I bought using the FHOG, but I factored in 5 interest rate rises in 2010 and could probably afford to keep repaying my debt even if rates got to 15%.
Imagine being in Sydney/Melb, where some FHB's have loans of 500-600k.
Very sound planning, DA.
I was paying 8.5% in the late 1960s, 10-12% in the mid 1970s and 14% plus in the late 1980s, and rates under 7% have been uncommon in my experience.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby LMA » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:52 pm

CBA have lifted their rates by .45% effective from this friday
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Psyber » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:58 pm

Yes the details are here: http://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/Austra ... 73663.html
CBA will lift rates on its variable home loan accounts to 7.81 per cent from November 5.
Psyber
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:45 pm

but the cba give you a months warning before the increase takes hold i believe
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Sojourner » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:29 pm

Nice Christmas present for the retail industry...

Considering the actions of the CBA, then I do hope that Joe Hockey gets some action taken over it, if these organisations expect taxpayer money to prop them up in the GFC whilst they roll on the bonuses then it needs to cut back our way as well.
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby Sturtman » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:13 am

Psyber wrote:
devilsadvocate wrote: I bought using the FHOG, but I factored in 5 interest rate rises in 2010 and could probably afford to keep repaying my debt even if rates got to 15%.
Very sound planning, DA.
I was paying 8.5% in the late 1960s, 10-12% in the mid 1970s and 14% plus in the late 1980s, and rates under 7% have been uncommon in my experience.

Yeah but in the 60's, 70's and even early 80's the average price house was about twice the average income. These days its about 7 or 8 times the average which makes it a lot tougher when rates go up. Although i agree when people take out mortgages they should factor in rate rises, so should the banks when deciding if the people can service the loan.
I'm number 1, so why try harder!!
Sturtman
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Wisanger

Postby Psyber » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:45 am

Sturtman wrote:
Psyber wrote:
Very sound planning, DA.
Yeah but in the 60's, 70's and even early 80's the average price house was about twice the average income. These days its about 7 or 8 times the average which makes it a lot tougher when rates go up. Although i agree when people take out mortgages they should factor in rate rises, so should the banks when deciding if the people can service the loan.

In 1956 my parents' 2 bedroom house at West Croydon cost 5200 pounds, plus the cost of moving the laundry into a back lobby and enclosing it to make a third bedroom for me.
My fathers salary was 985 pounds a year.
That is 5.2 times his income which was an average income at the time for a 2 bedroom house.

The only difference now is that houses on that parity of about 5x average income are further out of the CBD, and/or smaller than people aspire to these days.
I've looked at the figures recently while researching property investment options.
[I've decided to wait as I think there will be a slump soon, though not as massive as some people predict/hope.]
Psyber
Coach

Postby GWW » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:40 pm

Has anyone given any thought about switching to another home loan lender with the apparent increase in competition shown by some of the offers made by the big banks.

I'm giving some thought to changing to the Commonwealth, although I'll do some investigation to see if there's some type of "catch".

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/ipad/cba- ... 6012279540
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Psyber » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:31 am

You should always be prepared to check out other deals and explore switching, often your usual bank will then match those to keep your business.
They are concerned about market share, which is why Bank SA just offered 5.6% interest on a savings account and the ANZ have just trumped it witha 6% "Progress Saver" deal.

Over the years, I've dealt with the old Bank of Adelaide, the Cooperative Building Society [who became the new Bank of Adelaide later], BankSA and, in Victoria, St George, ANZ, Commonwealth, and HSBC.
The Commonwealth gave me a good Merchant Services deal through a group scheme but were otherwise a bit rigid to deal with.
Currently the ANZ is my main bank but I do have minor dealings with Bank SA for a fee free VISA deal - another group scheme.
I retain an HSBC account only in case I need to open an account with them in the UK later - they are also rigid and a bit of a pain to deal with.

I miss the old Bank of Adelaide where family connections made life easy, although some of this has carried over to the ANZ who bought them out in 1976.
Occasionally, I need to remind the ANZ I could transfer my business elsewhere to ensure they continue my concessional deals on interest rates and fees. [I don't pay bank fees!]
In about1990 I did negotiate a deal with Citibank when the ANZ were being tight, but then when I told them I was about to transfer my business they suddenly rediscovered flexibility.
Psyber
Coach

Postby GWW » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:53 pm

I was all set to ring the Commonwealth Bank but now i've been advised that I would have to discharge my mortgage and there are fees involved in this with stamp duty etc. With the relatively small amount that i owe, may not be worth it.

Still, i may ring my bank and see if i can put some type of pressure on them to remove the monthly fees.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:54 pm

I am about to pay a home lona off early and am currently negotiating the early exit fee with my local branch manager. Will be interesting to see what unfolds.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby Psyber » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:09 pm

Booney wrote:I am about to pay a home loan off early and am currently negotiating the early exit fee with my local branch manager. Will be interesting to see what unfolds.
I've had many mortgages on a number of homes and business properties between 1967 and discharging my last one in early 2009, but I've never paid an exit fee.
The loans, mostly with the ANZ, have always had the option to pay them off early as a standard part of the deal.
Do some banks do this routinely or is it as part of special deals for lower or fixed interest rates?

[ I recall Bank SA used to impose early termination fees with car leases, so I only ever used their quotes to bargain Esanda, or another competitor, down.]
Psyber
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:12 pm

Psyber wrote:
Booney wrote:I am about to pay a home loan off early and am currently negotiating the early exit fee with my local branch manager. Will be interesting to see what unfolds.
I've had many mortgages on a number of homes and business properties between 1967 and discharging my last one in early 2009, but I've never paid an exit fee.
The loans, mostly with the ANZ, have always had the option to pay them off early as a standard part of the deal.
Do some banks do this routinely or is it as part of special deals for lower or fixed interest rates?
[ I recall Bank SA used to impose early termination fees with car leases, so I only ever used their quotes to bargain Esanda, or another competitor, down.]

I believe it is an almost standard practice to charge an early exit fee. If we look to be having to pay an early exit fee we will pay off all but perhaps $500. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Psyber » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:25 pm

Booney wrote: I believe it is an almost standard practice to charge an early exit fee. If we look to be having to pay an early exit fee we will pay off all but perhaps $500. ;)
Perhaps it is the family connections at work?
I'd assumed the option for early payout was standard at the ANZ.

I've always dealt with people who knew my sister, and my brother-in-law who was a senior ANZ executive, and I've always been offered loans without exit fees, and usually at least a 0.7% interest rate reduction.
[Once I even had the money in my account before I'd signed the loan papers but that was only $45K I needed urgently for a deal.]
Occasionally, a new local manager would get rigid about the rules, but a phone call to head office or the suggestion of going to another bank would fix it.
Psyber
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:36 pm

GWW wrote:I was all set to ring the Commonwealth Bank but now i've been advised that I would have to discharge my mortgage and there are fees involved in this with stamp duty etc. With the relatively small amount that i owe, may not be worth it.

Still, i may ring my bank and see if i can put some type of pressure on them to remove the monthly fees.

There isnt any stamp duty on mortgages anymore, this finished up in 2009. As far as government fees go all you would be up for is around $200 in discharge/register mortgage fees.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3504 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:35 pm

interest rates on hold as expected.
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:06 pm

bump

interest rates down to 2.25%
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Q. » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:14 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:bump

interest rates down to 2.25%

bah

might as well not even have term deposits now
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:23 pm

3% on $10,000 over 12 months. Why bother?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion