H2O Filters

Anything!

H2O Filters

Postby mal » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:13 pm

Ive have an Ionized water purifier that needs repairs
Reason I got it is becoz it eliminates all Chlorine and about 50% of flourides + other purifying aspects
I have to get it repaired in Sydney, frieght and repairs are to be expensive

Does anyone know anyone or a water filter company in or near the NE suburbs that might he able to repair this unit ?

Also what H2O purifiers do you use ?
Does it eliminate Chlorine + a % of Flouride ?

I might have to purchase a new unit so would value any opinions or advice
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Re: H2O Filters

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:25 pm

Harden up, fill the glass up, drink it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Iron Fist » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:03 pm

Booney wrote:Harden up, fill the glass up, drink it.

:-bd
get on board the thunder train!!!
Iron Fist
Veteran

Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby Pseudo » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:19 pm

mal wrote:Ive have an Ionized water purifier that needs repairs
Reason I got it is becoz it eliminates all Chlorine and about 50% of flourides + other purifying aspects

Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Lunchcutter » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:48 pm

x_x
RIP my DH 1964 - 2009 - You were one of the best and I miss you
Lunchcutter
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby mal » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:59 pm

I guess everybody drinks tap water
mal
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:28 pm

Only when I run out of beer.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:23 pm

Nope.... got me a puratap 2 weeks ago...good investment on my part 8)

I can't handle tap water and could never be stuffed going to buy it from the shops so I would just never drink it.

Since having it installed I don't think I've ever drunk so much water :lol:

Mine was $250 installed.
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby mal » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:29 pm

So far Pura Tap have the best offer
No Chlorine and very miniMAL flouride
NorMALly $335
On special for $249 b4 Xmas

Consulted a leading Naturopath who recommended Pura Tap as well

Unless I find a better offer PT get the business at this stage

Ive also enquired into a filter thats connected to the water pipes to get cleaner H2O for the shower and garden
But the quotes have been about $700 both companies
Would be nice to have it, but drinking water is a higher priority despite Booneys advice

www.carefree.com.au has info on the pipe filter
mal
Coach

Postby Psyber » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:33 am

Back in 2003 when we rented in Wayville for 6 months while over from Melbourne on family issues, we drank [and cooked in] water from Piccadilly Springs to avoid the high chlorine levels. Up here in the Mt Lofty Ranges the water in the tap is OK. If you use a filter don't forget to get some fluoride gel to apply to your teeth regularly to prevent the horror above!
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Farmy » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:56 pm

Psyber wrote:Back in 2003 when we rented in Wayville for 6 months while over from Melbourne on family issues, we drank [and cooked in] water from Piccadilly Springs to avoid the high chlorine levels. Up here in the Mt Lofty Ranges the water in the tap is OK. If you use a filter don't forget to get some fluoride gel to apply to your teeth regularly to prevent the horror above!

Or you could brush your teeth regularly like me while using a puratap for years and have perfectly healthy teeth and gums.
Farmy
Under 16s

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Psyber » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:13 pm

Farmy wrote:
Psyber wrote:Back in 2003 when we rented in Wayville for 6 months while over from Melbourne on family issues, we drank [and cooked in] water from Piccadilly Springs to avoid the high chlorine levels. Up here in the Mt Lofty Ranges the water in the tap is OK. If you use a filter don't forget to get some fluoride gel to apply to your teeth regularly to prevent the horror above!
Or you could brush your teeth regularly like me while using a puratap for years and have perfectly healthy teeth and gums.
Valid, but some do need the fluoride more than others, and just good basic care doesn't work for everyone...
Psyber
Coach

Postby SABRE » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:26 pm

Psyber wrote:
Farmy wrote:
Valid, but some do need the fluoride more than others, and just good basic care doesn't work for everyone...

:-?
I'm worried that treating water with any chemical, be it chlorine or flouride, doesn't work
for everyone either. We all have differing tolerances to all substances. I don't mean to be
alarmist, but I have this horrible feeling that one day in the future, scientific researchers
are going to find things like chlorine, flouride, artificial sweeteners, colourings and preservatives
are currently the cause of various cancers and the widely spreading incidences of type 1 & 2
diabetes, amongst other things.
:-??
It's very hard to take seriously the claims of "it's perfectly safe" from corporations selling
what could turn out to be toxic poisons in the long term. Too much money at stake.
What we're ingesting now may turn out to be an epidemic rivalling tobacco.
It's hard to avoid a lot of this crap in our modern foodstuffs, but I reckon you're doing
your family a favour if you can. Put simply, if it doesn't occur natually, don't eat it !

Guess it's just the cynic in me, but I can't help wondering if companies like CSR have shares
in the producers of insulin, test strips, needles and other equipment used by diabetics.
:lol:
NFC 2021
SABRE
Reserves

Been liked: 44 times

Postby Psyber » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:23 pm

Fluoride and Chloride ions are simple inorganic substances and don't have complex interactions with your body chemistry so the effects should be predictable so long as the water suppliers are monitoring the levels they add accurately, so that they don't rise to the known toxic concentrations in the water and thence your body.

Organic compounds are much more complex in their effects - and that includes the Chloramines that can form due to the injection of high levels of Chlorine into the water to kill bacteria.
These organic compounds of Chlorine are more of a concern than Chlorides. I don't think Fluorine gets into the water except in the inorganic Fluoride form so I don't think Fluoramines get to be formed.
I share your concern, too, about artificial sweeteners, flavourings, colourings, and organic preservatives, as possible cancer causing agents, and I avoid them as much as possible.
I am, also, cautious about parabenzine compounds in sun screens.

At the last house I lived in My wife and I didn't go as far as ion exchange filtering to remove chlorides and fluorides, but we did have a carbon filtering system that was supposed to be able to remove the organic compounds and any pesticide traces.
Psyber
Coach

Postby GWW » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:31 pm

I'm currently weighing up which filter tap I will get - Puratap OR Waterways.

The house that I live in currently had a Waterways already installed when I bought it 4 years ago - one of the parts is just about stuffed and I cant just replace it as the product is out-dated/ not stocked any more.

Previously in my unit I had a Pura Tap installed.

Cost-wise the quotes are fairly similar as Pura Tap taking into account, with their quote, that I owned one of theirs previously.

Pura Tap is cheaper for filter teplacements.....but I reckon Waterways tastes a little better (??).

Anyone got opinion on which product is the healthiest product?
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Psyber » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:09 pm

I wouldn't bother with flters at all, normally, but I did put a carbon filter outside to remove the chorine compounds and smell from the entire house supply when SA was in drought and the water was getting smelly a few years ago. It cost about $1000, but there are no replacement filters or servicing needed just an occasional backwash.

As things are now I wouldn't bother,but that could change again in a drought situation.
Psyber
Coach

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion