I need to know....

Anything!

Re: I need to know....

Postby Johno6 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:53 pm

my brother in law has told me you should change companies every 2 years or so or they just take advantage of u and rip u off.

not sure how true that is, but im too lazy to keep changing.
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Mythical Creature » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:10 pm

I'm normally too lazy as well, but when my bills are consistently 4 figures I need to keep an eye on things.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby Johno6 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:11 pm

that is true!!

the amount of times in the last year I have opened a gas/water/electricity bill and thought **** me are there a bunch of ppl squatting in here while we are at work
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Mythical Creature » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:15 pm

Yep. Its depressing. But, prepared to pay to have nice things running all the time, however less is best! :lol:
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Postby heater31 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:44 pm

Johno6 wrote:that is true!!

the amount of times in the last year I have opened a gas/water/electricity bill and thought **** me are there a bunch of ppl squatting in here while we are at work

My strata group did some investigating as the group is responsible for the water usage bill. Think the manager took an average over several years to find that the usage was very similar but it was the ******* price of the ol' 2 hydrogen atoms with an oxygen that had gone through the roof :shock:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Psyber » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:20 pm

heater31 wrote:
Johno6 wrote:that is true!!
My strata group did some investigating as the group is responsible for the water usage bill. Think the manager took an average over several years to find that the usage was very similar but it was the ******* price of the ol' 2 hydrogen atoms with an oxygen that had gone through the roof :shock:
In my last bill, in round figures the water usage was $50, the "Supply Charge" was $73, and the Sewerage "Access Charge" was $242.
The latter is basically a Land Tax by stealth, based on property value which is why it is so disproportionate.*

*An ALP former state Minister I know admitted it was being used as a back door way of taxing the primary residence which is exempt from formal Land Tax.
He, of course, thought it was perfectly OK to do that.

Your strata group may also find the tax by stealth component is a major factor in your bills...
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby toot toot » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:29 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:Has anyone looked at different electricity providers lately? I last looked 2 years ago and went with Lumo as they were the best at that time. I got a letter from them yesterday saying that my 2 year contract is up, so I spent a few hours last night looking at different options. Basically I just keyed in my last 4 bills into a spread sheet and used it to compare different companies.
The one that come up trumps by a few hundred $$$ was Power Direct.
I have never heard of them before, has anyone dealt with them and if you have are they ok.
By the way I never had a problem with Lumo.

I've just signed up with them recently (also previously used them a few years ago in a share house). I spoke with a guy at iselect and he said for SA they offer the best rates. They are a sister company of AGL as well. No problems to report..... at this stage.
toot toot
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby The Ash Man » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:19 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:Has anyone looked at different electricity providers lately? I last looked 2 years ago and went with Lumo as they were the best at that time. I got a letter from them yesterday saying that my 2 year contract is up, so I spent a few hours last night looking at different options. Basically I just keyed in my last 4 bills into a spread sheet and used it to compare different companies.
I have never heard of them before, has anyone dealt with them and if you have are they ok.

My Lumo contract just finished too.
I did some research then rang Lumo and told them the best deal I found, they beat it so I stayed with them
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Mythical Creature » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:47 am

The Ash Man wrote:

I did some research then rang Lumo and told them the best deal I found, they beat it so I stayed with them

Cheers mate. I take it this wasn't difficult to do?
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Postby Booney » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:10 am

Mythical Creature wrote:I'm normally too lazy as well, but when my bills are consistently 4 figures I need to keep an eye on things.

WTF? Regular bills over $1000?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby dedja » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:16 am

I've used PowerDirect for over 3 years ... always have been the cheapest by far
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby Brodlach » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:18 am

Booney wrote:
Mythical Creature wrote:I'm normally too lazy as well, but when my bills are consistently 4 figures I need to keep an eye on things.

We have a guy at work who every quarter has a bill of over $1400 and he only has a family of 5.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby HH3 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:20 am

I have a guy at work that clears $1000 every quarter and its only him and his missus.

I have my suspicions...
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby The Ash Man » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:32 am

Mythical Creature wrote:
The Ash Man wrote:

No, I rang them and told them I could get 18% off my bill elsewhere. (which may or may not have been true)
They transferred me to retention then they reduced all their kW/h rates and gave me 15% off my bill.
It worked out better.
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Mythical Creature » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:46 am

Booney wrote:

Yeah 3 of the 4 are. The other ones about $800.
I guess the pool and air con would be using the most. Have 2 fridges running (1 outside under the v/dah) plus a deep freeze and a couple of flat screens. The wife and son are home most of the time so the aircon gets a fair workout nearly all year.

Nothing dodgy going on from my end. :lol:
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Postby Mythical Creature » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:48 am

The Ash Man wrote:
Mythical Creature wrote:
The Ash Man wrote:

No, I rang them and told them I could get 18% off my bill elsewhere. (which may or may not have been true)
They transferred me to retention then they reduced all their kW/h rates and gave me 15% off my bill.
It worked out better.

Thanks. I'll give this a go next week and see what they offer then do the maths from there. Origin offer 18% so you can get it, just their starting rates are fairly high so it doesn't make a lot of difference.
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Postby dedja » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:51 am

Just a small tip for the uninitiated, do not take any notice of the percentage figure reductions, they're meaningless.

Instead ask for the specific tariffs so you can compare apples with apples.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby Booney » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:01 am

Mythical Creature wrote:
Booney wrote:

Yeah 3 of the 4 are. The other ones about $800.
I guess the pool and air con would be using the most. Have 2 fridges running (1 outside under the v/dah) plus a deep freeze and a couple of flat screens. The wife and son are home most of the time so the aircon gets a fair workout nearly all year.

Nothing dodgy going on from my end. :lol:

Yes, the pool would add some for sure. We purchased a spa about 18 months ago and haven't really noticed any major increase.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Sturtman » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:42 pm

the name of a good boarding kennel in Adelaide or Adelaide hills for my dog
I'm number 1, so why try harder!!
Sturtman
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Wisanger

Postby Booney » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:29 pm

Sturtman wrote:the name of a good boarding kennel in Adelaide or Adelaide hills for my dog

We sent ours while re-plumbing our house to http://hedgegroveboarding.com.au/ .

I've heard no bad reports from anyone who has used them and we thought the place looked pretty reasonable. The dogs were only there for 4 nights though.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion