I need to know....

Anything!

Re: I need to know....

Postby tipper » Thu May 19, 2022 3:49 pm

gadj1976 wrote: I know several companies who research people's background on social media to get a more holistic view of a person, then research their friends and acquaintances.

is that why i cant seem to find a new job? im not on social media under my real name, and my friends are all c@#$s :lol:
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby The Bedge » Thu May 19, 2022 3:57 pm

tipper wrote: im not on social media under my real name

Doesn't matter - can be searchable by email, nickname or mobile phone.

It's not hard to find people if you really want.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby locky801 » Thu May 19, 2022 4:48 pm

The Bedge wrote:
tipper wrote: im not on social media under my real name

Doesn't matter - can be searchable by email, nickname or mobile phone.

It's not hard to find people if you really want.

you forgot face identity ;)
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby gadj1976 » Fri May 20, 2022 8:00 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Miss 19 Y.O daughter messages me in a tither, she has applied for a new job and has had two interviews and got an email today requesting a number of a recent employment referee.

She has become a manager where she works and hasn't told them that she was looking elsewhere, she wasn't really but a job came up and she was asked to apply.

I said to here to just speak to a manager that you get along well with from a different department and point out the sensitivity of the the call to your prospective new HR officer, does this sound like the right advice?

That's very 1990's.

I wouldn't tell my current workplace if I was leaving and reference checks aren't worth the paper they're not written on.

Given there is linked in and social media you can soon find out more about a person than any reference check normally can provide.

If they do ask for one, is there a school teacher she can call upon, or has she volunteered at a club canteen/bbq (anything!) where she's 'worked' that can provide her with a reference check? If the the company really wants one, I'd just say that I'd prefer to keep the application process quiet from her current employer due to company sensitivities.

Nail hit on head.

It's also why I'm really conscious of what my kids post on social media. Despite them being young, over the course of the years the posts all add up and can easily describe what type of person someone is.

I think reviewing social media content will be the way of the future (if not already) rather than meaningless reference checks.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby DOC » Fri May 20, 2022 8:08 am

Yep.

A check of the Advertiser will show that whenever there is a dickhead, be it a hoon, anti vaxxer, low life child molester, domestic violence perpetrator or &%$##@ supporter they invariably have a facebook image.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby gadj1976 » Fri May 20, 2022 12:17 pm

DOC wrote:Yep.

A check of the Advertiser will show that whenever there is a dickhead, be it a hoon, anti vaxxer, low life child molester, domestic violence perpetrator or &%$##@ supporter they invariably have a facebook image.

And are generally fairly outspoken in their posts too.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri May 20, 2022 12:29 pm

Let's hope employers don't look at SA Footy.....

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby DOC » Fri May 20, 2022 1:15 pm

They have to.

It's the only way for them to see what their staff are doing.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri May 20, 2022 1:20 pm

I guess it's why unemployment is low

Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Corona Man » Fri May 20, 2022 1:29 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Let's hope employers don't look at SA Footy.....

I like to think of them as “sponsors”.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Eagles2014 » Thu May 26, 2022 10:51 am

This is probably a longshot, but.....

Does anyone know of any holiday rental places in Goolwa?

Looking at first week in January, for 12 people. The place we have been too for 15 years has been sold, and cant find anything suitable thru all the real estate agents and Stayz, etc.

Getting desperate now :shock: Can PM me.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Booney » Thu May 26, 2022 11:08 am

Eagles2014 wrote:This is probably a longshot, but.....

Does anyone know of any holiday rental places in Goolwa?

Looking at first week in January, for 12 people. The place we have been too for 15 years has been sold, and cant find anything suitable thru all the real estate agents and Stayz, etc.

Getting desperate now :shock: Can PM me.

PM sent.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 31, 2022 12:22 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Miss 19 Y.O daughter messages me in a tither, she has applied for a new job and has had two interviews and got an email today requesting a number of a recent employment referee.

She has become a manager where she works and hasn't told them that she was looking elsewhere, she wasn't really but a job came up and she was asked to apply.

I said to here to just speak to a manager that you get along well with from a different department and point out the sensitivity of the the call to your prospective new HR officer, does this sound like the right advice?

Her manager found out last Thursday and demoted her from 2IC and from managing over the weekends like she has done for the past 18 months.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue May 31, 2022 12:44 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Her manager found out last Thursday and demoted her from 2IC and from managing over the weekends like she has done for the past 18 months.

:( How did they find out?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby stan » Tue May 31, 2022 12:49 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

As disappointing as that might be for her, that's a great life lesson she has learnt at 19. Some employers, not all and particularly some mangers will make life hard for you if you are leaving.

I just had a conversation with a young grad at my as he is applying for another job and explaining to him that although I have no issue with this, his manger is not going to take this well. And I have encouraged him to embrace the fall out.

In fairness, his manager is a fickwhitt so this is all expected.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 31, 2022 12:55 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

From her previous manager who is no longer with the company.

Just can’t trust anyone, not to mention that it’s illegal without any prior warnings etc.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 31, 2022 1:00 pm

stan wrote:As disappointing as that might be for her, that's a great life lesson she has learnt at 19. Some employers, not all and particularly some mangers will make life hard for you if you are leaving.

I just had a conversation with a young grad at my as he is applying for another job and explaining to him that although I have no issue with this, his manger is not going to take this well. And I have encouraged him to embrace the fall out.

In fairness, his manager is a fickwhitt so this is all expected.

Yes, it’s unfortunate that all integrity must go out the window, like she was going to stay in retail for ever, she was going to uni studying two disciplines of accountancy on top of working 30+ hours a week, a lot of weekends too, they shat on her just after she turned 18 as well.

It appears as though she has the new job anyway, it’s for a worldwide manufacturing company in a role that suits her and offers growth within the business, should find out all the final details today when she knocks off.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue May 31, 2022 3:16 pm

Sorry to hear that LM but as you said she's learnt a valuable lesson.
It's a pity she didn't work in hospitality where most managers are happy to help staff go elsewhere as they know how shit hospitality is themselves! :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 31, 2022 3:45 pm

Wedgie wrote:Sorry to hear that LM but as you said she's learnt a valuable lesson.
It's a pity she didn't work in hospitality where most managers are happy to help staff go elsewhere as they know how shit hospitality is themselves! :lol:

Yeah, I'm hearing ya, the eldest daughter has been an event manager previously and they get the raw end of the stick for sure, always a big turnover with staff at many of them too. The Reepham always seems to be a stepping stone for many young ones who move on to bigger and better things, they have an absolute gem working there atm most busy times.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue May 31, 2022 3:53 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Sorry to hear that LM but as you said she's learnt a valuable lesson.

Yeah, I'm hearing ya, the eldest daughter has been an event manager previously and they get the raw end of the stick for sure, always a big turnover with staff at many of them too. The Reepham always seems to be a stepping stone for many young ones who move on to bigger and better things, they have an absolute gem working there atm most busy times.

My company doesn't help things moving managers around too.
I have one shift left but have been at the one pub 4 years and 4 months and have had 10 different managers! :shock:
There will only be 2 people there who have been there longer than me too.
At least if I ever wanted a reference I had plenty of choices! :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion