I need to know....

Anything!

Re: I need to know....

Postby MW » Mon May 09, 2022 3:54 pm

Booney wrote:
MW wrote:I'm having a ficus cut down (part of the fig family) and wondering if its worth keeping and drying out some logs. I hear figs are not very good for burning, but I would be using it only in an outdoor pit and surely anything dry enough would be ok to burn?

Sappy leaves, I'd strip them and make sure the wood is really well seasoned as I'd expect that to be sappy / oily too.

Yeah they are only the logs from the trunks. Might let them season until next winter and see how they go. Cheers.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Booney » Tue May 10, 2022 11:46 am

My mobile Twitter is fine but my desktop is down, anyone else got that?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue May 10, 2022 12:12 pm

Booney wrote:My mobile Twitter is fine but my desktop is down, anyone else got that?

I dare not open my twitter on work desktop...
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 17, 2022 2:37 pm

Miss 19 Y.O daughter messages me in a tither, she has applied for a new job and has had two interviews and got an email today requesting a number of a recent employment referee.

She has become a manager where she works and hasn't told them that she was looking elsewhere, she wasn't really but a job came up and she was asked to apply.

I said to here to just speak to a manager that you get along well with from a different department and point out the sensitivity of the the call to your prospective new HR officer, does this sound like the right advice?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Trader » Tue May 17, 2022 3:27 pm

In my experience there is two sorts of referee checks, one confirms your technical abilities, the other is more just confirming what you said is true, ie: yes, Jane Doe does work here, has for 3 years, generally rocks up on time, has a good attitude and gets on with work.

As a 19 year old, she's likely not applying for a role that has an overly large number of technical requirements, and therefore a manager/team leader in another department should easily be able to provide the second type of reference no dramas.

I agree with your advice.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 17, 2022 3:34 pm

Trader wrote:In my experience there is two sorts of referee checks, one confirms your technical abilities, the other is more just confirming what you said is true, ie: yes, Jane Doe does work here, has for 3 years, generally rocks up on time, has a good attitude and gets on with work.

As a 19 year old, she's likely not applying for a role that has an overly large number of technical requirements, and therefore a manager/team leader in another department should easily be able to provide the second type of reference no dramas.

I agree with your advice.

Thanks mate, it's been a drawn out lengthy process that should come to a head tomorrow.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue May 17, 2022 3:38 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Miss 19 Y.O daughter messages me in a tither, she has applied for a new job and has had two interviews and got an email today requesting a number of a recent employment referee.

She has become a manager where she works and hasn't told them that she was looking elsewhere, she wasn't really but a job came up and she was asked to apply.

I said to here to just speak to a manager that you get along well with from a different department and point out the sensitivity of the the call to your prospective new HR officer, does this sound like the right advice?

I dont think anyone expects a referee from your current employer

Having said that, over the years, I have offered a reference to some current employees should they wish to go for a job elsewhere ;)
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 17, 2022 4:09 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Miss 19 Y.O daughter messages me in a tither, she has applied for a new job and has had two interviews and got an email today requesting a number of a recent employment referee.

Having said that, over the years, I have offered a reference to some current employees should they wish to go for a job elsewhere ;)

Well she has pretty much only worked at the same place.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue May 17, 2022 5:22 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

Yeah try someone she can trust within the workplace.

Alternatively they might accept a professional personal referee eg sporting coach, uni lecturer, school teacher etc. we have to do this a lot as we are very often a first time employer of staff.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed May 18, 2022 11:16 am

whufc wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

Yeah try someone she can trust within the workplace.

Alternatively they might accept a professional personal referee eg sporting coach, uni lecturer, school teacher etc. we have to do this a lot as we are very often a first time employer of staff.

Will they accept references from people who know your father on safooty.net?

I can write a good one - I've got nice letterhead as well
Last edited by Jimmy_041 on Wed May 18, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby DOC » Wed May 18, 2022 11:39 am

Took me a while to find that.

Just tell her to give them your phone number Art Vanderlay.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed May 18, 2022 12:10 pm

DOC wrote:Took me a while to find that.

Just tell her to give them your phone number Art Vanderlay.

Yep sorted, Steve Jensen, Development Manager.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby mots02 » Wed May 18, 2022 6:13 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

Surely a reference from the Oracle would carry some weight?

Written in the style of a review?
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 854 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby gadj1976 » Wed May 18, 2022 7:08 pm

That's very 1990's.

I wouldn't tell my current workplace if I was leaving and reference checks aren't worth the paper they're not written on.

Given there is linked in and social media you can soon find out more about a person than any reference check normally can provide.

If they do ask for one, is there a school teacher she can call upon, or has she volunteered at a club canteen/bbq (anything!) where she's 'worked' that can provide her with a reference check? If the the company really wants one, I'd just say that I'd prefer to keep the application process quiet from her current employer due to company sensitivities.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby whufc » Thu May 19, 2022 7:16 am

gadj1976 wrote:

That's very 1990's.

I wouldn't tell my current workplace if I was leaving and reference checks aren't worth the paper they're not written on.

Given there is linked in and social media you can soon find out more about a person than any reference check normally can provide.

If they do ask for one, is there a school teacher she can call upon, or has she volunteered at a club canteen/bbq (anything!) where she's 'worked' that can provide her with a reference check? If the the company really wants one, I'd just say that I'd prefer to keep the application process quiet from her current employer due to company sensitivities.

This.....

We are required to get two reference checks for any new employee......there the biggest waste of space (unless the person cant provide reference checks that actually might tell us something about them)

I would have done over 1000 reference checks in my time and only on two occasions have I heard anything other than their the most dedicated hard working reliable, intelligent employee known to the human race.
whufc
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Thu May 19, 2022 7:35 am

whufc wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

That's very 1990's.

This.....

We are required to get two reference checks for any new employee......there the biggest waste of space (unless the person cant provide reference checks that actually might tell us something about them)

I would have done over 1000 reference checks in my time and only on two occasions have I heard anything other than their the most dedicated hard working reliable, intelligent employee known to the human race.

Geez, talking about picking your targets. Seriously, how difficult is it to pick someone who'll go into bat for you?

Just on that, my daughter recently got her first job at a local supermarket - no reference checks. I've been put down for several of her friends as a reference check and never been called - they've all got jobs.

I seriously hope the reference check is dying off. It really is a waste of time and effort on all parties involved in the process. I know several companies who research people's background on social media to get a more holistic view of a person, then research their friends and acquaintances.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby whufc » Thu May 19, 2022 7:52 am

One I had was a classic.

Rang the reference check as listed who was a manager at a previous employment.

Asked for permission to do the check. There response was 'I don't know why the F they have put me down......we fired them for continued non attendance, unreliability, poor behaviour standards...do you want me to go on'

In saying that I rang their second reference and they got the most glowing reference check you could ask for.
whufc
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Thu May 19, 2022 9:27 am

whufc wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

That's very 1990's.

;)

This.....

You say that when you’re happy for them to go
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 19, 2022 11:00 am

whufc wrote:One I had was a classic.

Rang the reference check as listed who was a manager at a previous employment.

Asked for permission to do the check. There response was 'I don't know why the F they have put me down......we fired them for continued non attendance, unreliability, poor behaviour standards...do you want me to go on'

In saying that I rang their second reference and they got the most glowing reference check you could ask for.

You're not allowed to be truthful nowadays in this snowflake society.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 19, 2022 11:01 am

gadj1976 wrote:

That's very 1990's.

Nail hit on head.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion