Who's got a Solar Power System installed?

Anything!

Re: Who's got a Solar Power System installed?

Postby beeroclock » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:42 pm

gadj1976 wrote:We got our system in July and have recently had days of 33 and 34kwh peaking at 36.5.

And yesterday we got our first real quarterly bill. $44.18. Stoked!

Ended up getting the same system as you I reckon Gadj.
Finally had it switched on today. Nice day to have it up and running.
I like the look of your bill.
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:47 pm

beeroclock wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:We got our system in July and have recently had days of 33 and 34kwh peaking at 36.5.

And yesterday we got our first real quarterly bill. $44.18. Stoked!

Ended up getting the same system as you I reckon Gadj.
Finally had it switched on today. Nice day to have it up and running.
I like the look of your bill.

Beero

I've just received our invoice for summer and we have a 57 dollar credit. I'm happy with that, given that the panels need to be cooled when it reaches about 35 degrees. Seeing our summer was either stifling hot or overcast, that's a good result.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Psyber » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:29 pm

I got another quote yesterday a delayed follow up from last years Show displays - I suspect they bought a failing company's contact list.
I was reluctant to waste their time but the guy who rang me insisted technology has improved.

The guy who came to look at the situation was pretty honest and said that if I don't want to cut down several trees I'd have to go with the panels that have micro-inverters and even so the degree of shading would make my break even on capital cost time about 10 years.

That's the 4th company out of 9 over several years that have come to the same conclusion, though they were the first who was really on top of the issues about electrolysis between aluminium panel frames and iron roofing. (Called "Star Rating Industries" or similar and do more than just solar systems.)
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby kickinit » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:36 pm

Psyber wrote:I got another quote yesterday a delayed follow up from last years Show displays - I suspect they bought a failing company's contact list.
I was reluctant to waste their time but the guy who rang me insisted technology has improved.

The guy who came to look at the situation was pretty honest and said that if I don't want to cut down several trees I'd have to go with the panels that have micro-inverters and even so the degree of shading would make my break even on capital cost time about 10 years.

That's the 4th company out of 9 over several years that have come to the same conclusion, though they were the first who was really on top of the issues about electrolysis between aluminium panel frames and iron roofing. (Called "Star Rating Industries" or similar and do more than just solar systems.)

What where they doing to stop.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby Psyber » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:00 am

kickinit wrote:
Psyber wrote:I got another quote yesterday a delayed follow up from last years Show displays - I suspect they bought a failing company's contact list.

Basically they use a full depth grommet to ensure there is no direct contact between the coated or stainless steel screw (that goes through the Colourbond roof into the timbers) and the aluminium frame of the panel support thus avoiding creating an electrical circuit between the two different metals that corrodes both.
Psyber
Coach

Postby kickinit » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:36 am

Psyber wrote:
kickinit wrote:

Basically they use a full depth grommet to ensure there is no direct contact between the coated or stainless steel screw (that goes through the Colourbond roof into the timbers) and the aluminium frame of the panel support thus avoiding creating an electrical circuit between the two different metals that corrodes both.

Hope the grommet is UV stabilised, otherwise it will be stuffed in a few years. The only reason they chose to have aluminium frames is because it's lighter and easier to work with. Going with S/Steel or mild steel that has been treated properly is a lot better option then aluminium.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby Psyber » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:43 pm

kickinit wrote: Hope the grommet is UV stabilised, otherwise it will be stuffed in a few years. The only reason they chose to have aluminium frames is because it's lighter and easier to work with. Going with S/Steel or mild steel that has been treated properly is a lot better option then aluminium.

Yes I agree about the grommet. I thought about that, but I didn't bother to go into it any more as I'd by then decided a 10 year break even point is too long for me. Since I'm 70 now, and my knees and back are beginning to show signs of wear, I expect I may move to a smaller house in a less steep block, and with less than an acre to maintain before then...

I'd also thought about why nobody had tried UV stabilised Polypropylene frames - panels could screw to the frames and the frames could screw into the roof with separate screws eliminating any risk of setting up currents. (But I'm not a materials expert so I don't know if Polypropylene would be a viable option.)
Psyber
Coach

Postby kickinit » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:39 am

Psyber wrote:
kickinit wrote: Hope the grommet is UV stabilised, otherwise it will be stuffed in a few years. The only reason they chose to have aluminium frames is because it's lighter and easier to work with. Going with S/Steel or mild steel that has been treated properly is a lot better option then aluminium.

Yes I agree about the grommet. I thought about that, but I didn't bother to go into it any more as I'd by then decided a 10 year break even point is too long for me. Since I'm 70 now, and my knees and back are beginning to show signs of wear, I expect I may move to a smaller house in a less steep block, and with less than an acre to maintain before then...

I'd also thought about why nobody had tried UV stabilised Polypropylene frames - panels could screw to the frames and the frames could screw into the roof with separate screws eliminating any risk of setting up currents. (But I'm not a materials expert so I don't know if Polypropylene would be a viable option.)

Wouldn't have clue on price but polypropylene would work. I would guess the price would just be too high. It would actually be interesting to see the price comparison between buying s/steel over aluminium. The best way would to be just go with galvanised, but don't make the mistake a lot of people do and not protect the ends you cut. The best thing is if you don't like the colour go to bunnings get some paint, if you have a colourbond roof they can match the colour as well.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby Psyber » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:58 am

kickinit wrote: Wouldn't have clue on price but polypropylene would work. I would guess the price would just be too high. It would actually be interesting to see the price comparison between buying s/steel over aluminium. The best way would to be just go with galvanised, but don't make the mistake a lot of people do and not protect the ends you cut. The best thing is if you don't like the colour go to bunnings get some paint, if you have a colourbond roof they can match the colour as well.

Spray Galv is a wonderful thing for awkward spots after the event, but a good old galv coat applied with a brush is better economics.
The problem is making sure nobody skips that step if you don't do the job yourself...

I have the same concern about steel framed houses - whether your builders staff bother to do anything about cut ends and drilled holes.

I fixed the recurring rust on the external mirror frames of an Alfa I owned in the late 1980s with spray galv and spray gloss paint when it had recurred twice after being allegedly treated each time by the dealer under warranty.
Psyber
Coach

Postby kickinit » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:38 pm

It's pretty common occurrence for them not to protect cuts. Cold galv is also good for using as a undercoat.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby beeroclock » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:35 am

I'm disappointed a little.
I paid seven grand for my solar system.
It doesn't talk,I hardly ever see it,it's got no personality and it only saves me around $300 a qtr.
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby Psyber » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:32 am

beeroclock wrote:I'm disappointed a little.
I paid seven grand for my solar system.
It doesn't talk,I hardly ever see it,it's got no personality and it only saves me around $300 a qtr.

So, roughly 6 years to pay for itself, plus just a little longer for lost interest on deposits.
Thereafter you are in front, so long as you stay in the same house at least six years.
Does the warranty last that long or are there potentially repair or replacement costs inside that time frame?

I'd have looked at the 10 year pay back my situation would have required if I were confident I'd be staying in this house another 10 years.
Psyber
Coach

Postby dedja » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:36 am

Anyone looking at Solar now has missed the boat.

I installed my system 3 years ago and with the max rebates and FIT am on track for a 5 year pay off.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby grant j » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:57 am

dedja wrote:Anyone looking at Solar now has missed the boat.

I installed my system 3 years ago and with the max rebates and FIT am on track for a 5 year pay off.

People looking at Solar now should be looking into Hybrid solar systems. These charge batteries during the day to be used at night
grant j
Reserves

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times

Postby dedja » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:02 am

They cost the Earth though
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby The Ash Man » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:18 pm

any suggestions for companies to get quotes from?
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby carey » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:30 pm

OK I openly admit I have NFI about solar panels at all but, I've just put on offer in on a house that has 52 panels of the roof (The guy had is own solar company) So my question is what do I expect from this come power bill time?

Is there a certain level of maintenance needed? if so is it costly?

As I said I have no idea about solar panels so any help would be great.....
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2802 times
Been liked: 2989 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby heater31 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:48 pm

carey wrote:OK I openly admit I have NFI about solar panels at all but, I've just put on offer in on a house that has 52 panels of the roof (The guy had is own solar company) So my question is what do I expect from this come power bill time?

Well I would check your feed in tarrifs with your electricity supplier. I'm sure they would screw you over seeing as you are moving into an established system.

I guess the inverter would need some maintenance but the owner should know about that.

Other than that maybe 1 or 2 times a year get a bucket of water and a soft bristle broom to wipe off the dust and bird shit from the panels to ensure maximum efficiency.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby carey » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:28 pm

Cheers Heater. Thanks for the advice mate.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2802 times
Been liked: 2989 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby grant j » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:32 pm

carey wrote:OK I openly admit I have NFI about solar panels at all but, I've just put on offer in on a house that has 52 panels of the roof (The guy had is own solar company) So my question is what do I expect from this come power bill time?

Feed in tariffs is about 7c now but with that many panels your bill should be very small to nil depending on your consumption.

No real maintenance other than making sure your panels are clean.

No maintenance on Inverter until it stuffs up and you need a replacement.

Bottom line is, it will still save you money
grant j
Reserves

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion