Things that you don't understand

Anything!

Re: Things that you don't understand

Postby dedja » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:29 am

Tennis rankings ...

How can Wozniacki be no.1 (by a long way) when she's never won a grand slam (in the last year - Aus SF, US SF, Wim 4R, Fre QF)

Clijsters has won the US and now Australian and was QF at Wimbledon ...

:-s
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby dedja » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:34 am

FlyingHigh wrote:
dedja wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:Why either party over the last ten years has not made a genuine commitment to ensuring by, say, 2015, all new home and small office airconditioning units have to be solar powered.

That I do understand ... let's just say the fossil fuel industry can be a tad influencial

Well, yes, perhaps I was being a little naive.
Still crap IMO.

I'm with you ... all new homes should have some form of water and power sustainability.

Imagine if solar rebates were increased so that they were affordable by the majority?

Imagine if the dollars that have been invested in clean coal research (as a PR con because it will never happen) were diverted to increase solar rebates?

Sorry, I'm dreaming again ... :ymdaydream:
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Postby bayman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:54 am

Barto wrote:
bayman wrote:
Barto wrote:I don't understand people who are given information in confidence, then proceed to spray it all around a public forum..

COMMANDER BARTO, if that is directed mainly at me, i always ask whether i can post it first & as you know i pm'd you a while back & told you to expect an announcement within the next week or so & seeing i couldn't trust you i couldn't tell you & was told not to post it & for those reading it was unley ovals new name which was announced 3 or 4 days after the pm to commander barto

Interesting rant. In that PM you stated:

If it was told in confidence and you have respect for your source, why were you messaging people that you don't know with it? Why mention it on the main board anyway?

Forums like this provide a degree of anonymity to allow blokes like yourself to come out with the "ooh ooh, I know something you dont know.. get this.." when back in the day someone like yourself had inside info, you'd have been on the phone to KG and spilled it on there. The difference is, the voice wouldve been recognised by whoever would've told you and the flow of info would've dried up real quick. On here it just takes a few more weeks for people at the club to work out who you are.

that isn't the one & you know it, that's the one where i trusted you, barto if you continue to 'bait me' i will let on (in code) some delicate issues from your club.....as for keeping pms why ? :roll: all it is the schoolgirl mentality (very childish)(apolgies to the smarter schoolgirls out there) .......your just dirty that someone knows something before you & btw i've never rang KG in my life, infact the only sportshow i've ever rung has been on 5rph & with your reply it is now obvious it was me you meant
i thought secret groups were a thing of the past, well not on websites anyway
bayman
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Plympton

Postby sherminator » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:16 pm

JAS wrote:
A Mum wrote:I don't understand why so many 'kids' have their facebook profiles set to 'public' for the whole world to see?? :?

Silly ! :(

Because the 'attention seeking' part of their brain totally overrules any comprehension of the potential risks...silly indeed.

Regards
JAS

I get these 'friend requests' from random people that I don't know, many of whom are teenage girls because through sport I am friends with some of their friends. I always have a look to see if I have actually met them first before I reject. All of these girls have personal details, photos etc that I can see. It is a little bit scary that these kids are openly throwing out photos of themselves, phone numbers etc to random people. Is there some sort of competition to gain the most 'friends' or something? The incident down at Pt Elliot with that young girl a couple of years ago springs to mind.
sherminator
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Olympic Dam

Postby Johno6 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:22 pm

i dont understand why some bakerys put lemon in there custard for there custard berlinas, not a good move.

also i dont understand why im like 1 of 2 people out of everyone i know who DOESNT have facebook.
am i missing something.....
should i want everyone knowing everything about me?

if i was single id prob just use facebook to pick up :lol:
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby bayman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:38 pm

sherminator wrote:
JAS wrote:
A Mum wrote:I don't understand why so many 'kids' have their facebook profiles set to 'public' for the whole world to see?? :?

Silly ! :(

Because the 'attention seeking' part of their brain totally overrules any comprehension of the potential risks...silly indeed.

Regards
JAS

I get these 'friend requests' from random people that I don't know, many of whom are teenage girls because through sport I am friends with some of their friends. I always have a look to see if I have actually met them first before I reject. All of these girls have personal details, photos etc that I can see. It is a little bit scary that these kids are openly throwing out photos of themselves, phone numbers etc to random people. Is there some sort of competition to gain the most 'friends' or something? The incident down at Pt Elliot with that young girl a couple of years ago springs to mind.

i don't understand facebook or twitter anyway but i can't understand why (mainly girls) in adelaide would 'want to meet' strangers after what happened to carly ryan a few years ago
i thought secret groups were a thing of the past, well not on websites anyway
bayman
Coach

Grassroots Team: Plympton

Postby Barto » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:42 pm

bayman wrote:that isn't the one & you know it, that's the one where i trusted you, barto if you continue to 'bait me' i will let on (in code) some delicate issues from your club.....as for keeping pms why ? :roll: all it is the schoolgirl mentality (very childish)(apolgies to the smarter schoolgirls out there) .......your just dirty that someone knows something before you & btw i've never rang KG in my life, infact the only sportshow i've ever rung has been on 5rph & with your reply it is now obvious it was me you meant

why do I want your "tidbits" anyway? I'm related to someone on the coaching panel and as a result I dont need you PM'ing me with your third hand information. To me, it's a matter of not compromising his position so why bother to goad me on the main board to reveal what I know?

I may wish to apply for a position at the club myself later on down the track. People at the club know who I am on here and it's a matter of professionalism IMO, imagine going to the club for an interview while all along they'd be thinking "here's that muppet who runs off to a public forum and throws around internal information about the club", yeah that'd work real well.

You can let on 'delicate issues' about the SFC if you wish.. in fact, please do, it's helping the club get closer to who is feeding you this info.
It's all the SANFL's fault.
Barto
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby White Line Fever » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:51 pm

how skippy untied the horses to save Aunt Evelyn in todays episode
White Line Fever
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby dedja » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:11 pm

White Line Fever wrote:how skippy untied the horses to save Aunt Evelyn in todays episode

Gold ... :lol:
dedja
Coach

Postby Johno6 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:13 pm

dedja wrote:
White Line Fever wrote:how skippy untied the horses to save Aunt Evelyn in todays episode

ditto
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby dedja » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:17 pm

Why don't the batteries run flat in the most annoying toys?

And conversely why do torch batteries last for SFA?
dedja
Coach

Postby CK » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:56 pm

Johno6 wrote:
dedja wrote:

ditto

x3. The best part was when Skippy firstly untied the horses and then re-tied some rope to the horses again, and then managed to drag the horses to Sonny. No mean for a kangaroo weighing around 35kg to drag two horses weighing over a tonne :)
Can you guess where I'm calling from, the Las Vegas Hilton...
CK
Veteran

Been liked: 3 times

Postby dedja » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:56 pm

Why Djokovic is wearing 10 pin bowling shoes ...
dedja
Coach

Postby Q. » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:27 pm

heater31 wrote:
Quichey wrote:Because State-sanctioned murder is still murder and the punishment neither deters nor rehabilitates.

but it also serves as a severe deterrent and eliminates the problem eventually...

No, no it doesn't.

In fact imprisonment itself is a poor deterrent as many crimes are committed in the moment and social problems, such as poverty, drugs, mental illness, poor education, are of heavy influence.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Q. » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:33 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
tipper wrote:one could also argue that the current penalty, imprisonment, also doesnt rehabilitate, yet that is the current practice, and eventually lets these scum back into society.

Perhaps if prisons were actually returned to places of hard labour and abhorrent conditions as opposed to the virtual hotels they are at the minute, then it might be a deterrent.

and don't anyone bother coming back with "prisoners rights" :? It's an oxymoron - they're in prison, they're not supposed to have any rights...

"You go to prison as punishment, not for punishment".

There are many reasons why prisoners aren't and shouldn't be subject to dehumanising treatment, but think about this - given that most prisoners are released back into society, where is the wisdom in dehumanising them?
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby White Line Fever » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:50 pm

Dehumanised you mean institutionalized
White Line Fever
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby Bully » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:00 pm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/i-won-485 ... 5996687100

why people cant follow ther rules. After reading this article it looks like the fella put in a lotto ticket after the draw closed . And now hes complaining about not being paid as his numbers came up in draw 981 but his ticket had draw 982. He needs to realise that he deosnt win squat. This to me if this guy wins this money will open a door up to all that have had winning tickets the following draw from the previous drawn numbers. God i would have won alot if this can happen.
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby heater31 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:48 pm

Bulldog wrote:http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/i-won-485000-they-wont-pay/story-e6frea6u-1225996687100

why people cant follow ther rules. After reading this article it looks like the fella put in a lotto ticket after the draw closed . And now hes complaining about not being paid as his numbers came up in draw 981 but his ticket had draw 982. He needs to realise that he deosnt win squat. This to me if this guy wins this money will open a door up to all that have had winning tickets the following draw from the previous drawn numbers. God i would have won alot if this can happen.

Sorry to put my Legal hat on here but I think the bloke has a case to some sort of compensation. He made several attempts to comply with the conditions of entry for the draw in question and was even given incorrect/conflicting information by the agent of the lotteries commission. They were unable to advise the Agents or participants correctly of the conditions of entry and now that he entered what he thought was the correct draw and now they don't want to pay out because it will save them 500K.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby CK » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:08 pm

Agreeing in principle with what you are saying, about him making every effort to comply, he didn't do the most important thing - confirm he was entering the correct draw, by checking the draw number printed on his ticket. It's a bit like a punter telling a phone operator he wanted Adelaide Race 5, and getting Race 6 - the operator does read the bet back, and asks him to confirm.

A situation like this occurred to me, albeit on a miles smaller scale, when I asked for a ticket in a Monday Lotto draw, was given the ticket, but didn't check it. That night, four numbers and one supplementary came up. I went to collect, but no go - and it was only then, that I realised I had been given a Wednesday draw, NOT the Monday I asked for. Unfortunate, but the onus WAS on me to check the right day when handed the ticket.
Can you guess where I'm calling from, the Las Vegas Hilton...
CK
Veteran

Been liked: 3 times

Postby mickey » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:20 pm

Why its so hard to make a burger how the customer wants it made FFS

What part of a bacon burger NO sauce dont u **** understand
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 313 times