Things that make you sad.

Anything!

Re: Things that make you sad.

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:05 am

Driving home each afternoon watching the motorcycles zooming past me at up to 70-80km/h over the speed limit weaving in and out of other vehicles paths putting their faith in every other motorist around them, even L platers are doing it, it's become an epidemic, so often I think to myself "I hope I don't see you up the road 50 metres away from your bike".

What can be done about it?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby LMA » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:13 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Driving home each afternoon watching the motorcycles zooming past me at up to 70-80km/h over the speed limit weaving in and out of other vehicles paths putting their faith in every other motorist around them, even L platers are doing it, it's become an epidemic, so often I think to myself "I hope I don't see you up the road 50 metres away from your bike".

Always amazed me that learner motorcyclists are allowed to travel around together in such large numbers. I regularly see them on a Saturday night on Victoria Rd going for it.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Dutchy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:19 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Driving home each afternoon watching the motorcycles zooming past me at up to 70-80km/h over the speed limit weaving in and out of other vehicles paths putting their faith in every other motorist around them, even L platers are doing it, it's become an epidemic, so often I think to myself "I hope I don't see you up the road 50 metres away from your bike".

Yep, its nothing new though, my Dad used to call them temporary Australian's when they flew by the family car back in the day.

Last night I went for a bike ride and approached a roundabout with a motor bike behind me, I checked over my shoulder before I entered it and he was still 30m behind me, as there were no other cars I took the middle line through the round about, the motorbike decided to still squeeze through the gap so we were side by side at the middle point of the roundabout :roll: absolutely no reason to do this, it would have cost him less than 2 seconds to back off the power and pass me as I exited the roundabout into the bike lane.

On the same ride in the twilight I was crossing the big Flagstaff Hill roundabout intersection and a guy in a SUV turned left into Blacks Rd didn't give way to me and missed me by about 10m, he slowed down, wound down his window and profusely apologised to me which I appreciated and gave him the thumbs up. Not sure why he couldn't see me as I'm the size of a sight screen and had my lights flashing but errors do get made.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby heater31 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:20 am

heater31 wrote:
JK wrote:
westcoastpanther wrote:16 year old lad dying on the weekend in Port Lincoln from chroming. I coached him in basketball and used to drop him home after. He was best mates with my Son who also at 16 is devastated. Tough bloody lesson.

I had no idea this was a thing til today and this is now the 2nd time I've heard of it. Real sorry for your loss mate, that's tragic :(
A quick Google on 'chroming death' and it appears to be a huge problem in Queensland.
This gets even worse when you learn the substance being used (it was not aerosols). Horrifying that kids are getting into this stuff.

WCP I hope your son has recieved the appropriate assistance and hopefully doesn't get involved in these sort of activities.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:32 am

heater31 wrote:
heater31 wrote:
JK wrote:
westcoastpanther wrote:16 year old lad dying on the weekend in Port Lincoln from chroming. I coached him in basketball and used to drop him home after. He was best mates with my Son who also at 16 is devastated. Tough bloody lesson.

I had no idea this was a thing til today and this is now the 2nd time I've heard of it. Real sorry for your loss mate, that's tragic :(
A quick Google on 'chroming death' and it appears to be a huge problem in Queensland.
This gets even worse when you learn the substance being used (it was not aerosols). Horrifying that kids are getting into this stuff.

WCP I hope your son has recieved the appropriate assistance and hopefully doesn't get involved in these sort of activities.

Worse than death?
Well what was it then?
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:32 am

Dutchy wrote:
Yep, its nothing new though, my Dad used to call them temporary Australian's when they flew by the family car back in the day.

Last night I went for a bike ride and approached a roundabout with a motor bike behind me, I checked over my shoulder before I entered it and he was still 30m behind me, as there were no other cars I took the middle line through the round about, the motorbike decided to still squeeze through the gap so we were side by side at the middle point of the roundabout :roll: absolutely no reason to do this, it would have cost him less than 2 seconds to back off the power and pass me as I exited the roundabout into the bike lane.

On the same ride in the twilight I was crossing the big Flagstaff Hill roundabout intersection and a guy in a SUV turned left into Blacks Rd didn't give way to me and missed me by about 10m, he slowed down, wound down his window and profusely apologised to me which I appreciated and gave him the thumbs up. Not sure why he couldn't see me as I'm the size of a sight screen and had my lights flashing but errors do get made.

It seems to be getting worse, I reckon there was a spike in deaths on the road last year for motorcyclists and they just seem to be getting crazier, I seen one Wednesday night as I was went from an 80 zone to a 50 just coming off Jack Cooper Drive and this idiot passed me on my left hand side after exiting a roundabout and then proceeded to do the same to the next 3 cars until the front one went to turn left, he went nuts at him for it!!
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Failed Creation » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:43 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:It seems to be getting worse, I reckon there was a spike in deaths on the road last year for motorcyclists and they just seem to be getting crazier, I seen one Wednesday night as I was went from an 80 zone to a 50 just coming off Jack Cooper Drive and this idiot passed me on my left hand side after exiting a roundabout and then proceeded to do the same to the next 3 cars until the front one went to turn left, he went nuts at him for it!!

I drive this stretch of road to get to work, and constantly see crazy shit like this.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:55 am

Dutchy wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

I still call them temporary Australians :lol:

It's increased since they bought in the new law. They shouldn't be able to cut through traffic like that, and they don't do it slowly either...
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:04 am

Footy Chick wrote:

It's increased since they bought in the new law. They shouldn't be able to cut through traffic like that, and they don't do it slowly either...

I didn't think that L platers were allowed to lane filter.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:05 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:

I didn't think that L platers were allowed to lane filter.

Yeah, Lane filter is the word i was looking for ;)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:13 am

Footy Chick wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:I didn't think that L platers were allowed to lane filter.

It doesn't really bother me as I don't mind them getting to the front of the line at traffic lights as I'd rather seem them riding somewhat solo.

There's a bloke that gets around on a Harley in the afternoon with Captain America clothing on, he gets really pissed off at the other bikes that are impatient and when they lane filter, in general, Harley riders are the most courteous and safest riders to share the road with.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby LMA » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:48 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:I didn't think that L platers were allowed to lane filter.

It doesn't really bother me as I don't mind them getting to the front of the line at traffic lights as I'd rather seem them riding somewhat solo.

There's a bloke that gets around on a Harley in the afternoon with Captain America clothing on, he gets really pissed off at the other bikes that are impatient and when they lane filter, in general, Harley riders are the most courteous and safest riders to share the road with.

Unless they're sporting black adidas track pants, lonsdale jumper, designer sunnies, bumbag and neck and/or face tatts
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Bum Crack » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:50 am

LMA wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:

Unless they're sporting black adidas track pants, lonsdale jumper, designer sunnies, bumbag and neck and/or face tatts

You forgot gold rings and chains
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby tipper » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:56 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

It seems to be getting worse, I reckon there was a spike in deaths on the road last year for motorcyclists and they just seem to be getting crazier, I seen one Wednesday night as I was went from an 80 zone to a 50 just coming off Jack Cooper Drive and this idiot passed me on my left hand side after exiting a roundabout and then proceeded to do the same to the next 3 cars until the front one went to turn left, he went nuts at him for it!!

the last few years have been really bad for motorcyclist deaths. and there are proposed changes coming in soon that are supposed to help lower the deaths. it wont affect it one bit (raising the age before you can get a learners bike permit), they are changing the rules for learners, but the vast majority of deaths in the last few years in south australia have been middle aged men, who the changes just wont affect at all

even the death the other day on bridge road wouldnt have been changed by the proposed change, he was 18, so still would have been eligible for a learners permit, which he had anyway.
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:08 am

tipper wrote:
even the death the other day on bridge road wouldnt have been changed by the proposed change, he was 18, so still would have been eligible for a learners permit, which he had anyway.

How's the prick that filmed him dying and streamed it? Honestly, some people are just f***** up, he even got interviewed by 7 and didn't see anything wrong with his actions.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby tipper » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:20 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
tipper wrote:

How's the prick that filmed him dying and streamed it? Honestly, some people are just f***** up, he even got interviewed by 7 and didn't see anything wrong with his actions.

yeah, thats pretty low. and certainly something that should be discouraged, but what can you do? its something that news organisations themselves have been doing for years. recording stuff like that, even if they cant show it on TV, they apparently just circulate it amongst themselves.

many years ago i was in the SES, and was on a callout one night to provide lighting so that Sapol could investigate a death. young bloke was just lying there in a drive way while they did their thing. road had been closed, but there was a camera man standing at the cones, filming the body with his zoom. without a word the ses crew all stood shoulder to shoulder in his way, to give the young fella a little bit of dignity, was actually really proud of the crew a the time.

as we were packing up after the coroner had taken him away and the road had been reopened the camera guy went off his tree at us all, demanding the name of the training officer and who had "ordered" us to stand in his way. prick. its not the only crime scene ive seen them behave like that at either, frigging vultures.
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby Trader » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:50 am

Proud of you tipper, stopping a bloke from doing his job.
He wasn't hurting anyone. Blame the news stations showing the footage, not the bloke given the orders to operate the camera.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby tipper » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:00 pm

Trader wrote:Proud of you tipper, stopping a bloke from doing his job.
He wasn't hurting anyone. Blame the news stations showing the footage, not the bloke given the orders to operate the camera.

thats the point. its not his job. they cant show that sort of footage on the news anyway.

how would you feel if it was your loved one lying dead on the road, having someone like that film it all for their own personal gratification?

stuff him. id happily do it again.
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby Magellan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:07 pm

Trader wrote:Proud of you tipper, stopping a bloke from doing his job.

Sure, the cameraman may have been doing the station's dirty work, but there's no excuse for carrying on like pork chop like that when someone's just died.

Also, you reckon the cameraman was sent out with express instructions to capture footage of a dead body? When was the last time you saw a close-up of a corpse on the 6pm news?

He may not have 'hurt' anyone, but he treated the deceased with a lack of respect. Would you say the same thing if someone close to you was being recorded in the same way?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Magellan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:13 pm

tipper wrote:how would you feel if it was your loved one lying dead on the road, having someone like that film it all for their own personal gratification?

This is the ugly and morally dubious side of the social media record-everything-on-your-phone world we now live in. Some rubberneck records the most undignified of situations on their smartphone in the hope he can flog it off to the media, who are desperate for any 'interesting' content, for a profit. Or he uploads to various platforms it in the hope of generating 'likes' or other vapid forms of grabbing attention.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion