Things that make you sad.

Anything!

Re: Things that make you sad.

Postby Dutchy » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:42 pm

JK wrote:Im not sure if this is the correct thread for it, but here goes .. Lobbying has commenced for Streets to change the name of it's iconic ice cream the "Golden Gaytime".

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/ ... 97f2fb50ea

“As a part of the LGBTQIA+ community I believe my sexual identity is owned by me, not a brand and that the outdated meaning no longer applies. Isn’t it time for this double entendre to end?” he said in the notes below the petition.

Doesn't effect me so it's probably not right to have an opinion on it, but ... Nope, I'll keep it buttoned.

Glenelg were decades ahead of the game in changing their song.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:46 pm

Booney wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:The world is getting worse, cos someone, somewhere is offended by the use of a word which has multiple meaning, but of course, in their mind it can only be offensive.

No, the world isn't getting worse because someone, somewhere is getting offended, it's getting worse because someone, somewhere thinks the people getting offended shouldn't be when they really should just mind their own business.

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so f*cking what."

Stephen Fry, 2005.

I woudn't say it's getting worse either. There's just a lot of **** who like to get offended by trivial shit. But hey, each to their own.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:04 pm

Bum Crack wrote:
Booney wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:The world is getting worse, cos someone, somewhere is offended by the use of a word which has multiple meaning, but of course, in their mind it can only be offensive.

No, the world isn't getting worse because someone, somewhere is getting offended, it's getting worse because someone, somewhere thinks the people getting offended shouldn't be when they really should just mind their own business.

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so f*cking what."

Stephen Fry, 2005.

I woudn't say it's getting worse either. There's just a lot of **** who like to get offended by trivial shit. But hey, each to their own.

And there's nothing more trivial than getting upset by someone else being offended. :D
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:06 pm

Booney wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:
Booney wrote:

Stephen Fry, 2005.

And there's nothing more trivial than getting upset by someone else being offended. :D

Speak for yourself
Yep
No
Bum Crack
Coach

Postby RB » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:17 pm

JK wrote:“As a part of the LGBTQIA+ community I believe my sexual identity is owned by me, not a brand and that the outdated meaning no longer applies.

This is the most puzzling bit to me. I.e. the idea that having a particular sexual identity means that you have exclusive use of a particular word in the English language.

I can't imagine anyone would argue that the ice cream company is using this gentleman's sexual identity to sell their product.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:28 pm

RB wrote:
JK wrote:“As a part of the LGBTQIA+ community I believe my sexual identity is owned by me, not a brand and that the outdated meaning no longer applies.

This is the most puzzling bit to me. I.e. the idea that having a particular sexual identity means that you have exclusive use of a particular word in the English language.

[b]I can't imagine anyone would argue that the ice cream company is using this gentleman's sexual identity to sell their product.[/b]

I can lol
Yep
No
Bum Crack
Coach

Postby Trader » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:39 am

Booney wrote:

If someone is offended by the name Coon cheese and the name gets changed I couldn't care any less, its still cheese!

Stephen Fry, 2005.

Person C shouldn't get offended that person B is offended by what Person A calls their product.
But equally shouldn't person B also just mind their own business and ignore what person A calls their product?

Personally, as someone somewhat close to a person C (ie a third party observer), I'm not offended that Person B is offended, but I am perplexed that Person B is of the opinion that him being offended gives him some form of right to demand that Person A changes their product name.

And for mine that's what I take from the Stephen Fry quote. Person B can be offended all they want, doesn't mean they have the right to require person A to change their product name.
Interesting that your take from the quote is that Person B is free to be offended and Person C shouldn't get upset about it.
(Not saying either of us right or wrong, just interesting that we come at it from opposite sides of the same quote).
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:46 am

If Person A chooses to crack under the pressure of person B that's their choice.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Trader » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:53 am

Therefore it's acceptable for person C to be offended by person B, call them morons and demand they stop pressuring person A?

After all, if Person B chooses to crack under the pressure of person C then that's their choice.

And equally you as a person D can call out bum crack as a person C.
And I could be a person E calling out you as a D.
Etc.

And now we have a world were everyone can complain about someone else.
The world is now full of whiners because as a society we decided person B was allowed to express their offence rather than telling them they should mind their own business and let streets call their icecream whatever they want?
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:14 am

Trader wrote:Therefore it's acceptable for person C to be offended by person B, call them morons and demand they stop pressuring person A?

After all, if Person B chooses to crack under the pressure of person C then that's their choice.

And equally you as a person D can call out bum crack as a person C.
And I could be a person E calling out you as a D.
Etc.

And now we have a world were everyone can complain about someone else.
The world is now full of whiners because as a society we decided person B was allowed to express their offence rather than telling them they should mind their own business and let streets call their icecream whatever they want?

Stop making sense mate. Ol mate will get the shits big time now lol
Yep
No
Bum Crack
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:23 am

I've got no idea what he's on about so there's no chance of me cracking the shits. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:32 am

Trader wrote:The world is now full of whiners because as a society we decided person B was allowed to express their offence rather than telling them they should mind their own business and let streets call their icecream whatever they want?

The world has always been full of whiners, but they only could tell the people who would take the time to listen and typically that was nobody. Now the whiners have the platform ( social media ) to connect with the other whiners and the brand has to make a decision, crumble under the pressure or take a stance against it. Fair to say in our modern world brands crumble faster than the crust on a Golden Gaytime in the sun and that's just our new world.

It's going to be a sad miserable existence if you get upset by the minority groups winning because they are, they will and it's not going to change so just get on with your life and eat the f*cking ice cream if you want and if you don't then don't.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:53 am

Booney wrote:I've got no idea what he's on about so there's no chance of me cracking the shits. :lol:

F knows, ask him.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:06 pm

Tinfoil hat time..

Has anyone actually met someone who has expressed they're offended by any of the censored/changed things in recent times? Pepe Le Pew, Coon Cheese, Golden Gaytime etc etc?

I've often wondered in recent times if these people genuinely exist, or if the brands make it up to help draw publicity to them.. create uproar.. get support and their time in the sun.

Personally i've never liked the word coon - but that's a different context than cheese, and i've never really associated the two.

Just seems everyday there is something new that's being changed or axed or debated because perceived connotations about racism, rape culture, discrimination etc etc... are there really people out there who spend their days looking for these things, get offended and want to change?

How is it that a few people being upset by the name of an ice cream or a cartoon cat or whatever have the power to force change.. yet there are so many larger problems with the world that go unresolved?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:22 pm

The Bedge wrote:Tinfoil hat time..

Has anyone actually met someone who has expressed they're offended by any of the censored/changed things in recent times? Pepe Le Pew, Coon Cheese, Golden Gaytime etc etc?

I've often wondered in recent times if these people genuinely exist, or if the brands make it up to help draw publicity to them.. create uproar.. get support and their time in the sun.

Personally i've never liked the word coon - but that's a different context than cheese, and i've never really associated the two.

Just seems everyday there is something new that's being changed or axed or debated because perceived connotations about racism, rape culture, discrimination etc etc... are there really people out there who spend their days looking for these things, get offended and want to change?

How is it that a few people being upset by the name of an ice cream or a cartoon cat or whatever have the power to force change.. yet there are so many larger problems with the world that go unresolved?

Pepe was a skunk, you've just offended a heap of cats around the world.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:45 pm

Same shit haha! The chick he was chasing was a cat wasn’t she?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:54 pm

The Bedge wrote:Same shit haha! The chick he was chasing was a cat wasn’t she?

Yeah, poor girl somehow had paint fall on her every episode that just happened to produce a white stripe down her back, sounds kinda like a movie I once saw.

It was probably the worst of all the cartoons out of all the cartoon that used to get aired during the show, most of us only watched it to see what Sophie Lee was wearing.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Trader » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:47 pm

Close, but not quite.

It's not the companies themselves coming up with these protests, but rather the 1%ers to distract us peasants from the global domination that is occurring behind our backs yet right in front of our eyes if we only just opened them!
True story, I saw it on apache's youtube!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:48 pm

Trader wrote:
Close, but not quite.

It's not the companies themselves coming up with these protests, but rather the 1%ers to distract us peasants from the global domination that is occurring behind our backs yet right in front of our eyes if we only just opened them!
True story, I saw it on apache's youtube!

Jesus, you had me worried.... :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:17 pm

Like this ice cream issue, it only takes one person to start an online petition, get a little bit of traction on Social Media and then the mainstream media get onto it as it will be a great click bait story, everyone gets upset which just allows more traction and before you know it the company itself sees a risk and mitigates it by changing to appease everyone.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion