Things that make you sad.

Anything!

Re: Things that make you sad.

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:25 am

valleys07 wrote:
Magellan wrote:Yet another high school shooting in the US. Apparently one confirmed dead but they're saying there are 'numerous fatalities'.

https://www.theage.com.au/world/florida-sheriffs-office-responding-to-reports-of-active-shooter-at-a-high-school-20180215-h0w3v2.html

:(

Authorities report at least 7 casualties while up to 50 were injured.

Whilst it is sad I'm struggling to have any sympathy for a society that is doing nothing to reduce the prospect of this continuing to occur.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7488 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Brodlach » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:30 am

These kids aren’t the ones allowing guns to be freely available, I really feel for them
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby valleys07 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:30 am

Booney wrote:
valleys07 wrote:
Magellan wrote:Yet another high school shooting in the US. Apparently one confirmed dead but they're saying there are 'numerous fatalities'.

https://www.theage.com.au/world/florida-sheriffs-office-responding-to-reports-of-active-shooter-at-a-high-school-20180215-h0w3v2.html

Whilst it is sad I'm struggling to have any sympathy for a society that is doing nothing to reduce the prospect of this continuing to occur.

My thoughts exactly.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Magellan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:32 am

Booney wrote:
valleys07 wrote:

That's very true, but I think the wilful blindness of an empowered nation that has the means to effect change and steadfastly refuses to do so is also why it's sad - the answers and the evidence are right there staring them in the face and they choose not to see it. As Brodlach said above, society's failure as a whole resonates on those who have the least influence and power in the matter.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:21 am

ABC reporting at least 17 people have been killed now.

you know the same old rhetoric will occur though
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Magellan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:30 am

bennymacca wrote:ABC reporting at least 17 people have been killed now.

'It wouldn't have happened if the schoolkids were all armed with guns.'

The cynic in me would say that the US is closer to expanding gun access to schoolchildren. The irony would be that kids come to school to learn how to shoot guns in order to protect themselves from people who have come to school to shoot guns.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Pseudo » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:06 pm

Magellan wrote:
bennymacca wrote:ABC reporting at least 17 people have been killed now.

'It wouldn't have happened if the schoolkids were all armed with guns.'

The cynic in me would say that the US is closer to expanding gun access to schoolchildren. The irony would be that kids come to school to learn how to shoot guns in order to protect themselves from people who have come to school to shoot guns.

And the cynic in me believes that this would simply escalate an arms race. Not being able to embark upon a ramapage with a gun, because an effective countermeasure has been brought into play (viz. other kids with guns), the budding young mass murderer will simply choose another weapon. Nail bombs, for example.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Dutchy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:39 pm

One of the solutions is putting armed guards at every school :roll:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:51 pm

Dutchy wrote:One of the solutions is putting armed guards at every school :roll:

If the US are going to continue to support gun controls that leak like a sieve, then actually this is a somewhat sensible option.

Here's a question. If the US hypothetically did impose stricter regulations in terms of gun ownership, is it likely that the hard-wired prevalence of gun culture that's been part of the US since its independence means that we wouldn't see a change in school shootings (for example) because a pissed-off ex-student will find a gun if he/she really wants to?
Magellan
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:01 pm

Dutchy wrote:One of the solutions is putting armed guards at every school :roll:

Whilst it's far less likely, still gotta hope an armed guard also isn't a whack job
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Dutchy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:35 pm

JK wrote:

Whilst it's far less likely, still gotta hope an armed guard also isn't a whack job

One of the justifications is that it would be a good job for ex-army or retired returned forces :shock:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby mickey » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:37 pm

JK wrote:

;)Image
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 313 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby HH3 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:14 pm

I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby FlyingHigh » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:49 am

Magellan wrote:

If the US are going to continue to support gun controls that leak like a sieve, then actually this is a somewhat sensible option.

Here's a question. If the US hypothetically did impose stricter regulations in terms of gun ownership, is it likely that the hard-wired prevalence of gun culture that's been part of the US since its independence means that we wouldn't see a change in school shootings (for example) because a pissed-off ex-student will find a gun if he/she really wants to?

It would take at least a couple of generations, and it wouldn't stop these type of incidents immediately IMO, and because of this all the pro-gunners would jump on the first incident saying the laws aren't working.

Similarly, the 3-strikes policy of the NT government didn't work because of the politics and was never going to change the behaviour of those already down that path, but may have in 10-12 years when those who were babies and toddlers grew up and it had been part of their lives all the time IMO.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby valleys07 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:52 pm

From an article on US gun control:

"In retrospect Sandy Hook marked the end of the US gun control debate,” Dan Hodges, a British journalist, wrote in a post on Twitter two years ago, referring to the 2012 attack that killed 20 young students at an elementary school in Connecticut. “Once America decided killing children was bearable, it was over.”

There endeth discussion.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby cracka » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:45 pm

valleys07 wrote:From an article on US gun control:

"In retrospect Sandy Hook marked the end of the US gun control debate,” Dan Hodges, a British journalist, wrote in a post on Twitter two years ago, referring to the 2012 attack that killed 20 young students at an elementary school in Connecticut. “Once America decided killing children was bearable, it was over.”

There endeth discussion.

Yep. If Obama couldn't get gun control through on the back of that, I doubt anyone can. Be interesting to see if someone went to an election with gun control as their main policy, would they get voted in.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Wedgie » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:45 pm

Stephen Hawking passing away, what an amazing man he was. RIP.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby JK » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:10 pm

Have to vet around 250 applications for 2 positions at work ... There's a lot of young people out there just looking for a chance, and it sux to have to reject them
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby JK » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:33 am

JK wrote:Have to vet around 250 applications for 2 positions at work ... There's a lot of young people out there just looking for a chance, and it sux to have to reject them

Actually, being a junior position that's advertised it's also sad reading the 50+ year olds that are highly overqualified but reek of desperation for employment
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:00 am

JK wrote:
JK wrote:Have to vet around 250 applications for 2 positions at work ... There's a lot of young people out there just looking for a chance, and it sux to have to reject them

Actually, being a junior position that's advertised it's also sad reading the 50+ year olds that are highly overqualified but reek of desperation for employment

This. People who have seemingly been consigned to the scrap heap and will do anything for another chance later in life.

Whilst the young people need an opportunity you would think many of the more mature people "need" the work more, mortgage, school fees etc.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7488 times
Been liked: 10772 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion