Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:34 pm

heater31 wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Does anyone frequent "The House of the Doner Kebab" @ Ottaway?

Apparently they do a yiros for $9 and there is a sign on the counter that says "Don't ask for extra meat, it's already on there".

I've heard if I go there I won't go anywhere else for a yiros.

Regularly, it isn't a yiros, its a donor kebab. Yes plenty of meat.
Was once half cut in Royal Tunbridge Wells in the UK paid 5 quid for one of these......never had anything else like it. Couldn't finish it either!

I did go and get one, it was huge, I didn’t know whether to put a seatbelt on it or not
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:58 am

Sails Restaurant at Robe - decided to lash out for the anniversary.

Wife went the seafood basket with the chef adjusting the dish to cover off on her garlic allergy, garfish, prawns, oysters and calamari. I decided on the 350g Scott Fillet. Both dishes were magnificent, I washed it down with the local loophole ale's, wife with some coonawarra bubbles

Selecting a dish was extremely hard, every option sounded magnificent and looked as good as it sounded on neighbouring tables.

We went for a desert each which again faultless, we paid nearly $200 which is pretty unusual for us but felt it was worth every cent, highly recommended.

The night before we went tot he Robe hotel and food was great there also.

On the way home yesterday we went and purchased a 1.2kg Lobster from Sky Seaford along with some flake fillets that were just caught in the last 24 hours, had them last night with our boys, again sensational.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3494 times

Postby Spargo » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:21 pm

End of summer kids sport dinner coming up this Sat night at Charlie’s Diner, Brighton Hotel - gulp.
I despise all you can eat and at $40 per adult & $20 per kid I’m dreading this already. Has anyone been here recently that can allay my fears? Is it self serve again post covid or do they serve you when you go up?
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5471 times
Been liked: 5114 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby MatteeG » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:50 pm

Spargo wrote:End of summer kids sport dinner coming up this Sat night at Charlie’s Diner, Brighton Hotel - gulp.
I despise all you can eat and at $40 per adult & $20 per kid I’m dreading this already. Has anyone been here recently that can allay my fears? Is it self serve again post covid or do they serve you when you go up?

Ha ha its self serve again (was served during Covid).

Wasnt terrible but it is a smorgasbord, so you know what to expect.

They had banana ice cream when I went which gained them a mark or 2.

Quick tip, order at the bar and wait for your drink, they were 'hopeless' finding our table.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Dutchy » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:32 pm

Spargo wrote:End of summer kids sport dinner coming up this Sat night at Charlie’s Diner, Brighton Hotel - gulp.

Been there once, 15 years ago, never again. Good luck
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3494 times

Postby Vamos » Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:39 am

Better take Monday off work in case you still have the Green Apple Splatters.
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 468 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:26 am

Went there recently for a kids show similar to you.
It was better than I was expecting.
Self serve so get in early before the ferals do.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2512 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:51 pm

the review will be interesting. :lol:

i have an idea what it may rate on the scale of 1-10
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11834 times
Been liked: 3593 times

Postby Brodlach » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:33 pm

Spargo at the dessert bar

July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Kahuna » Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:48 pm

Had lunch at the Clovey for the first time since they spent a squillion dollars on renos. Ate in the outdoor section of the front bar. Very tasteful and comfortable upgrade to what for years was basically a hole. Since me and her both had the crumbed fish, I can’t say this will be a particularly in-depth critique but what we had was hard to fault. Two fillets of hake with chips, salad, tartare sauce and lemon wedges. One point off for the fish being on top of the chips but that point restored for the inclusion of a bread roll and butter, which seems to have gone out of style out this way.

Staff were friendly and helpful, the menu pretty much what you would expect in a pub these days although, in my opinion a bit expensive. Will certainly be going again. 8.5.
Kahuna
League - Top 5

Has liked: 503 times
Been liked: 187 times

Postby Spargo » Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:59 am

Last edited by Spargo on Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spargo
Coach

Postby Spargo » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:02 am

As Robbie & Kylie sung, last night was “Doing it for the kids”…
Charlie’s Diner - Brighton Metro.
Waiting in line (this was the theme of the night) to get in, and already there’s drama with some bloke attempting to jump the queue claiming he was in line before but had to go to the toilet. He was given the royal far-queue by all & sundry and shunted to the rear. “Don’t worry, champ, they won’t run out of food” someone told him on the way past - this was to be the highlight of the night.
I started with roast beef, dry & bland. Hokkien noodles, had a very funky after taste, sweet & sour chicken (I think) meh & the last slice of lasagna which was pretty decent. When I returned for more lasagna they sadly had run out. I didn’t bother with sweets as my attention had shifted to beer & tequila.
The bar staff were very friendly & patient having to deal with some deadset tossers, kudos.
The kids had a great time which was the main point but I ain’t goin’ back. For $40 it’s horrible value for money IMO even if you did guts yourself.
Food - 1/10
Bar Service - 8/10

Spargo
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:08 am

Big Shed Brewing Royal Park :

https://www.redballoon.com.au/product/t ... ZsEALw_wcB

Mrs Boon purchased two of the above for me for Xmas, they were $60 per person, I note they are now $70. Junior Boon and I went along Friday night to use them.

For $70 you get a tasting paddle of any of the beers on tap, usually $15.

Brought to the table was :

Large bowl of standard coleslaw
Large bowl nachos with jalapenos, kidney beans, sour cream and avo.
Large bowl of some of the best sweet potato wedges I have ever had, these are simply sensational
Platter with - two large very spicy kranskys, 4 wings dusted in a nice level of spice southern style seasoning, a good handful of pulled pork, pulled brisket and shredded lamb, 4 racks of ribs with 4 ribs on each rack, good amount of meat

Now, in isolation this sounds a bit short of the $60 ( now $70 ) cost, however for 2 hours you can go and order more meat until your heart / guts is content. For those who have eaten at the Shed you know the food is good quality, if not better and this is no exception.

My advice would be to use this as a food experience with a tasting plate, I had two beers at home and two pints before we sat down and struggled through the first platter, we didn't order any more meat. If you were wise with pint intake and went for the food this would be a great way to load up on protein.

Food - 8.5/10
Service - 9/10 ( always is )
Value for money on the voucher - 7/10 ( I should have had two less pre dinner beers )

Good gift idea for a beer loving carnivore.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:04 pm

Clovercrest hotel

Huge makeover bringing it into the 21st century in recent months. Looks great.

Food was excellent last night and reasonably priced. Beer was nice and cold, and a large selection on tap.

Big screen for the footy, pixelated badly, 99% of the time was when someone was having a shot at goal?

Overall 8/10.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:58 am

Booney wrote:Big Shed Brewing Royal Park :

https://www.redballoon.com.au/product/t ... ZsEALw_wcB

Mrs Boon purchased two of the above for me for Xmas, they were $60 per person, I note they are now $70. Junior Boon and I went along Friday night to use them.

For $70 you get a tasting paddle of any of the beers on tap, usually $15.

Brought to the table was :

Large bowl of standard coleslaw
Large bowl nachos with jalapenos, kidney beans, sour cream and avo.
Large bowl of some of the best sweet potato wedges I have ever had, these are simply sensational
Platter with - two large very spicy kranskys, 4 wings dusted in a nice level of spice southern style seasoning, a good handful of pulled pork, pulled brisket and shredded lamb, 4 racks of ribs with 4 ribs on each rack, good amount of meat

Now, in isolation this sounds a bit short of the $60 ( now $70 ) cost, however for 2 hours you can go and order more meat until your heart / guts is content. For those who have eaten at the Shed you know the food is good quality, if not better and this is no exception.

My advice would be to use this as a food experience with a tasting plate, I had two beers at home and two pints before we sat down and struggled through the first platter, we didn't order any more meat. If you were wise with pint intake and went for the food this would be a great way to load up on protein.

Food - 8.5/10
Service - 9/10 ( always is )
Value for money on the voucher - 7/10 ( I should have had two less pre dinner beers )

Good gift idea for a beer loving carnivore.

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Spargo » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:02 am

THAi DAYS this coming Saturday for lunch. After nothing but positive reviews on here & word of mouth, plus a peek at the menu, I’m more than a little bit impatient…

Spargo
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:03 am

Spargo wrote:THAi DAYS this coming Saturday for lunch. After nothing but positive reviews on here & word of mouth, plus a peek at the menu, I’m more than a little bit impatient…

Nice one, hope it's as good as my experience for you.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Spargo » Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:32 am

THAi DAYS in Goolwa - Easter Saturday lunch

Without doubt, the best dining experience I’ve had in years.
The kids had short soup each & shared Singapore Noodles with king prawns.
Adults meals were Peking Duck pancakes to share (divine), Thai Seafood Platter, Sizzling King Prawns, Mixed Seafood in Choo Chee Sauce & I had the Goolwa Cockles in chilli jam, stir fried in chilli, onion & basil leaves. The nicest cockle dish I’ve ever had - period. The chilli jam to die for. The king prawns were proper king prawns, scallops, salmon & squid melted in your mouth (all seafood Australian), the servings are very generous & presentation exceptional. Washed down with a few ice cold Singhas (such a good beer). Service attentive without being annoying. We were lucky enough to get table #1, an enclosed booth by the front window, I suggest requesting this table when booking.
Final bill came to $282 + $42 public holiday surcharge. More than happy to pay this for such quality.
Food - 10/10
Service - 10/10

Do yourself a favour.

Spargo
Coach

Postby Booney » Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:35 am

Spargo wrote:THAi DAYS in Goolwa - Easter Saturday lunch

Without doubt, the best dining experience I’ve had in years.
The kids had short soup each & shared Singapore Noodles with king prawns.
Adults meals were Peking Duck pancakes to share (divine), Thai Seafood Platter, Sizzling King Prawns, Mixed Seafood in Choo Chee Sauce & I had the Goolwa Cockles in chilli jam, stir fried in chilli, onion & basil leaves. The nicest cockle dish I’ve ever had - period. The chilli jam to die for. The king prawns were proper king prawns, scallops, salmon & squid melted in your mouth (all seafood Australian), the servings are very generous & presentation exceptional. Washed down with a few ice cold Singhas (such a good beer). Service attentive without being annoying. We were lucky enough to get table #1, an enclosed booth by the front window, I suggest requesting this table when booking.
Final bill came to $282 + $42 public holiday surcharge. More than happy to pay this for such quality.
Food - 10/10
Service - 10/10

Do yourself a favour.

Agreed, as good as a night out for a meal gets
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Pseudo » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:43 pm

A bunch of us just wandered down Main North rd to Indian Temptations for lunch.

Food was great, if a little salty, and large portions. But the real drawcard is: the food is delivered to the table by a ROBOT!!

Imagine the joy and discussion this provoked among a table full of engineers. :-B
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion