Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:38 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:My missus and I went out to a winery in the Hills yesterday to look at as a possible wedding venue and go for a bit of a tour of the place, we couldn't have lunch there as they were booked out. No worries as we weren't far away from the Lobethal Bierhaus. Gone past there many times and always wanted to go there and try the food and beer so we decided to have lunch there. It was reasonably busy but not packed and got a table as soon as we got in. I initially wanted the Pastrami on Rye while my missus wanted the cheese board. She went and ordered and stood in the line which was not overly long for 15/20 mins, it was ridiculously slow. She got to the counter and ordered but they had no Pastrami left, she asked about the lamb shoulder and chicken breast too but they had apparently run out of those dishes. God knows how a restaurant of that size runs out of food but anyway she got me the steak which while tasted pretty good it was way too small for its $36.5 price tag. Even her cheese platter was $22.5 which we thought was quite pricey. We waited almost 45 mins for our food, by then it was past 2.30, most people that were initially there had left and the restaurant was a third full. It was an annoying wait, at least my scooner of chocolate oatmeal shout was good.
So we were a bit pissed off after that dining experience, we tried it out, it was too expensive and won't be going back. Not as good as I was hoping it would be and not worth the money IMO.

Do you get the scoopon deals emailed to you?

If you're into grazing platters and wineries they have some excellent deals in there, most come with a bottle to take home aswell.

No, I haven't ever gotten Scoopon deals. Worth a look you reckon?
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:03 am

The Dark Knight wrote:No, I haven't ever gotten Scoopon deals. Worth a look you reckon?

Absolutely, the wife and I love them and they're ideal for a drive through the hills or Barossa and a little stop.

Here's an example of one.

https://www.scoopon.com.au/adelaide/dea ... riences_PM
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:13 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:No, I haven't ever gotten Scoopon deals. Worth a look you reckon?

Absolutely, the wife and I love them and they're ideal for a drive through the hills or Barossa and a little stop.

Here's an example of one.

https://www.scoopon.com.au/adelaide/dea ... riences_PM

One of the things that even up our driving as I'll drive the whole day, usually we share the driving when we go somewhere, I drive there, she drives home :lol: .
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:25 am

whufc wrote:
Yeah i did eat there. Due to the prices we only ordered the 'fried chicken' which was 3 pieces of chicken and a bowl of fries. Still come to around $30 i think. The food came out in about 20 minutes which we thought was reasonable considering we were there to try beers/gins.

The food was real nice but barely touched the sides.

Have noticed this place on SM, will check it out next time we are up there, being a regional area I reckon come winter when they rely more on locals they will sort out their pricing to be much more reasonable otherwise they wont last long.

If in the area its worth a drive to the Sunny Hill Distillery at Arthurton
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby whufc » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:24 pm

Dutchy wrote:
whufc wrote:
Yeah i did eat there. Due to the prices we only ordered the 'fried chicken' which was 3 pieces of chicken and a bowl of fries. Still come to around $30 i think. The food came out in about 20 minutes which we thought was reasonable considering we were there to try beers/gins.

Have noticed this place on SM, will check it out next time we are up there, being a regional area I reckon come winter when they rely more on locals they will sort out their pricing to be much more reasonable otherwise they wont last long.

Interesting to note their open until 10pm every night of the week
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Spargo » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:28 pm

whufc wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
whufc wrote:

Interesting to note their open until 10pm every night of the week

#staffies
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:10 pm

.Image

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Failed Creation » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:25 am

Mrs. Creation and I went to Vietnam House on Bagster Road, Salisbury North last night. It was her first time there, and my second.

For our starters, Mrs. C. got a chicken & sweetcorn soup, while I went with the crab meat & asparagus. Both were really tasty, and were ample in size, and they were devoured within a few minutes.

Mrs C's soup: 8/10
My soup: 8/10

For our mains, Mrs. C. went with the standard sweet & sour pork, while I went for the claypot with caramelized pork belly and quail egg. I was about to have a dig at the missus for not being adventurous until she gave me a taste of her meal. I doubt I've had a bite of sweet & sour pork that good. My claypot was everything I was hoping it would be, and more. The pork was cooked perfectly, and there was a pleasant lack of gristle in both our dishes.

Mrs. C's main: 8.5/10
My main: 9/10.

Vietnam House.jpg
Vietnam House.jpg (85.25 KiB) Viewed 3215 times

We both went for fried ice cream for dessert. I don't usually touch ice cream unless I'm home (it goes straight through me), but I made a happy exception tonight. The coconut batter around the ice cream itself was a revelation, and was topped nicely with nuts.

Mrs. C's dessert: 9/10
My dessert: 9/10

Service wise, the owner/waiter is very charismatic and chatty, and he seems to love his job. For people not expecting that, it might throw you off at first, but he's a good bloke, and happy to have a laugh.

The lady who brought us our meals was flat out all night, but was very efficient and polite nonetheless. She's obviously worked out a system that works.

Our three courses and a can of soft drink each cost just shy of $70, so it's excellent value too.

In summary, if you're from the north and want to try a new spot, here you go. You're welcome. If you're from elsewhere and you want brave the northern suburbs, you'll be safe here.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Jim05 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:38 am

Failed Creation wrote:Mrs. Creation and I went to Vietnam House on Bagster Road, Salisbury North last night. It was her first time there, and my second.

For our starters, Mrs. C. got a chicken & sweetcorn soup, while I went with the crab meat & asparagus. Both were really tasty, and were ample in size, and they were devoured within a few minutes.

For our mains, Mrs. C. went with the standard sweet & sour pork, while I went for the claypot with caramelized pork belly and quail egg. I was about to have a dig at the missus for not being adventurous until she gave me a taste of her meal. I doubt I've had a bite of sweet & sour pork that good. My claypot was everything I was hoping it would be, and more. The pork was cooked perfectly, and there was a pleasant lack of gristle in both our dishes.

Vietnam House.jpg

We both went for fried ice cream for dessert. I don't usually touch ice cream unless I'm home (it goes straight through me), but I made a happy exception tonight. The coconut batter around the ice cream itself was a revelation, and was topped nicely with nuts.

Service wise, the owner/waiter is very charismatic and chatty, and he seems to love his job. For people not expecting that, it might throw you off at first, but he's a good bloke, and happy to have a laugh.

The lady who brought us our meals was flat out all night, but was very efficient and polite nonetheless. She's obviously worked out a system that works.

Our three courses and a can of soft drink each cost just shy of $70, so it's excellent value too.

In summary, if you're from the north and want to try a new spot, here you go. You're welcome. If you're from elsewhere and you want brave the northern suburbs, you'll be safe here.
It’s a gem that’s for sure.
When I’m working at the RAAF base it’s my go to for lunch and there is often a line up of ADF personnel there at lunch time.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:06 am

Failed Creation wrote:Mrs. Creation and I went to Vietnam House on Bagster Road, Salisbury North last night. It was her first time there, and my second.

Vietnam House.jpg

How much was the pork thingy?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Bandit » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:53 am

^^^ vietnam house vs pho linh for the edinburgh defence area business. Everyone used to go to pho linh (100m down the rd) but the tide is turning.
Extend The Dukes
Bandit
Under 18s

Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 105 times

Postby Failed Creation » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:08 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:How much was the pork thingy?

The claypot?

About $16.
Failed Creation
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:05 am

Failed Creation wrote:

The claypot?

About $16.

Yeah mate, looks awesome.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:14 am

Went to the Exchange @ Gawler last week, a very Texan styled menu.

I took the 350g Scotch Fillet @ $43.50, my companion had the Crispy Skinned Salmon @ $35.

Mine was cooked to perfection, her Salmon was apparently a bit dry, it looked it too, I was too full to try any though.

A nice place, staff were brilliant, a little on the expensive side IMO though for most dishes, would've preferred to go to the Golden Fleece where I had first booked but had to change.

7/10 all round.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Spargo » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:21 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:my companion

???
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Pag » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:28 am

Vietnam House.jpg

We've got blokes at out footy club who are addicted to this joint.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby Failed Creation » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:09 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Failed Creation wrote:

The claypot?

About $16.

Yeah mate, looks awesome.

It tasted even better than it looked too.
Failed Creation
Coach

Postby Failed Creation » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:10 am

Pag wrote:

Vietnam House.jpg

We've got blokes at out footy club who are addicted to this joint.

It's pretty easy to see why. I'd go back in a heartbeat.
Failed Creation
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:10 am

Spargo wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:my companion

???

"Companion"

8)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:29 am

Managed to get out and about a few times in the past week and found a couple of gems along with re-visiting an old favourite that didn't disappoint.

Khim Thai (Prospect)
Took the Pandan Chicken as an entree and it was was brilliant.
Shared a Pad Thai prawn and chicken along with stir-fried Prawns with seasonal vegies, they were both top notch and didn't skimp on the large prawns.
One of us had a wine and the other had a lemonade and it came to about $56 for memory, will be going back although we grabbed some take-away from the Rose Garden on the weekend as they are closed for dining atm.
They've been there for yonks, no frills but great food, the wife serves and the husband cooks.
Solid 8.5

Spargos (Prospect)
Comes across as an Italian cafe but has a huge variety of cuisine, I took the chargrilled 300g scotch fillet that was served with confit potato and broccolini along with an amazing red wine sauce, I'm not usually a fan but this sauce was something else, they didn't supply any rolls to mop it up though, they lost half a point for that, a tad under $30 for steak., will return.

Master Huang (Central Market)
Totally endorse the Mongolian Beef, pretty much all meat.

The Reepham does a $12.90 T-Bone every day/night except for Saturday's, you can add surf & turf for $5 but it's just as good without it, the steak, salad and chips is a great deal.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion