Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby JK » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:20 am

Hard to find a good chowder, might have to check it out, cheers mate!!
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:36 am

JK wrote:Hard to find a good chowder, might have to check it out, cheers mate!!

It was excellent. A full bread roll hollowed out and filled with the chowder. $18 from memory.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby Failed Creation » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:05 pm

Booney wrote:Used the Entertainment book voucher at The Lighthouse at the Port Saturday night.

The breeze had picked up at about 7:30-8pm, we sat outside on a perfect sumemrs night and enjoyed a really good meal. Mind, you, the 4 of us ( me, Mrs Boon and another couple ) were the only people eating when our meals came out!

A group of 6 inside had finished and were about to leave, there were two bar flies in the front bar who left at around 8, so the cook had plenty of time on his hands to prepare the meals. All were good quality pub food.

I went fish and chips ( crumbed ), was very nice, the Mrs a Chicken Burger, again, loved it while my mate had the S&P squid for the second time in a month there and his Mrs the Chowder ( say it, Frenchy! ) that was served in a hollowed out bread roll, like we've all seen at a party where someone's Mrs will make one of those cheese dip thingys. The chowder was really, really tasty.

The Lighthouses own ginger beer is something to behold on a hot summers night, it was a perfect addition to a feed of fish and chips on a summers night with the breeze cooling things down.

With hardly anyone to serve the staff came out to enjoy the cool breeze, the manager sat and chatted for a bit, nice lady indeed.

All in all, I'd give it 8/10. Despite the lack of patronage the place offered some good quality tucker and pretty good prices. ( The fish and chips with 2 pieces of fish, salad and veggie bar was $17.90. A pint of the ginger beer was $7 )

Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:28 pm

Charleston Hotel. Friday night. Very busy for a small pub, the front bar, beer garden and small dining area. Offer a bus service for those from the other nearby towns. Were in a reasonably big group, and all meals got the thumbs up. Had a lamb burger and sweet potato chips. Very good, with small downer of being served on a wooden board, which, will nice, made it cool a little quicker. Dining area was noisy just because of the amount of people and nature of the building. Pub Meal Rating 9/10. Recommend.

Payneham Hotel. Meals adequate-good, service good, salad/veggie bar bit to be desired, although we were there on a quiet Sunday night. Around $60 for some soft drinks, 3 meals and one dessert, so not too bad. Good place if couldn't be stuffed cooking or on the way home from somewhere, not sure I'd choose it specifically for a celebration. Pub Meal Rating 7.5/10.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:12 pm

The Excelsiour on Coglin Street Brompton.

Quality cuts of meat it is fair to say. A little pricey but not unreasonable. Service left a little to be desired and strange to be served 3 meals in a restaurant without bread or a roll or something to hold you over during the 45 minute wait. In their defence my dopey sister did order her surf and turf well done.

Solid 8/10 and the ent book voucher is a 2 for 1 which sweetens the deal.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 848 times

Postby Brodlach » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:59 pm

Wristy, do you ever eat at home?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby HH3 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:16 pm

Brodlach wrote:Wristy, do you ever eat at home?

Ive already asked this before. I dont think i saw the answer coz he'd reviewed 20 more places and the answer was too far back for me to bother to look for it
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:44 pm

HH3 wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Wristy, do you ever eat at home?

Ive already asked this before. I dont think i saw the answer coz he'd reviewed 20 more places and the answer was too far back for me to bother to look for it

Yes tonight I made schnitzel and 3 veg. 7.5/10. This cost approx $11, took me 30 minutes to make and I had the dishes to do after.

When we go out with the assistance of the Ent book it costs less than $10 more, there is no dishes and it's generally better than mine of mrs Wristys work. Probably go out twice a week.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby HH3 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:13 am

Finally got around to going to The Carlisle last night.

We were thinking it would be a bit of a dive, but inside is decorated just to my taste. (coz im an old man) Nice leather couches and a lots of wood. Pretty impressed with it actually. (probably moreso because of my low expectations going in)

I got the chicken schnitty with prawn and garlic sauce, and the missus got the mixed grill. I had asked for NO chips on the mixed grill, and to include gravy on the side. A table filled up near us about 10 minutes after we ordered, and they got all of their meals before we did. Ours took over half an hour (The patronage consisted of us two, and the people previously mentioned only) Also when the meals arrived, the mixed grill had HEAPS of chips and NO gravy. I had to go up and ask for some.

They were out of large schnittys, so I got two small ones. It was a shitload of chicken. The missus said the mixed grill tasted like she had made it at home, so not worth the $20.

Our meals plus a coke and a water came to about $42, so not bad.

Overall, I'd say it was an ok meal, but not as good as the Birk or the Saily. We will definitely give it another go though because its about 200m from our house.

6/10
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:20 am

HH3 wrote:Finally got around to going to The Carlisle last night.

We were thinking it would be a bit of a dive, but inside is decorated just to my taste. (coz im an old man) Nice leather couches and a lots of wood. Pretty impressed with it actually. (probably moreso because of my low expectations going in)

I got the chicken schnitty with prawn and garlic sauce, and the missus got the mixed grill. I had asked for NO chips on the mixed grill, and to include gravy on the side. A table filled up near us about 10 minutes after we ordered, and they got all of their meals before we did. Ours took over half an hour (The patronage consisted of us two, and the people previously mentioned only) Also when the meals arrived, the mixed grill had HEAPS of chips and NO gravy. I had to go up and ask for some.

They were out of large schnittys, so I got two small ones. It was a shitload of chicken. The missus said the mixed grill tasted like she had made it at home, so not worth the $20.

Overall, I'd say it was an ok meal, but not as good as the Birk or the Saily. We will definitely give it another go though because its about 200m from our house.

6/10

It's quite the "old pub" feel, but brought into the 21st century, isn't it? I quite like it in there too.

Pity about the meals when the place isn't very busy.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby HH3 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:31 am

Booney wrote:
HH3 wrote:Finally got around to going to The Carlisle last night.

6/10

It's quite the "old pub" feel, but brought into the 21st century, isn't it? I quite like it in there too.

Pity about the meals when the place isn't very busy.

Yeah its really nice. We'll probably pop in a fair bit for a drink and a punt.

Also afterwards I went home and made some f**kin SICK banana splits.

10/10
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:13 pm

Bay Bar and Bistro

Chicken Parmi - tasted great, served quickly (actually too quickly) and sensational scenery of the cricket.

9/10
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:33 pm

Flagstaff hotel

haven't eaten as yet but impressed that according to the menu they source all local produce

10/10
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11854 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:35 pm

Ordered
Medium Scotch fillet - came out medium rare and was absolutely superb
Chicken supreme - which with the blue brie cheese was magnificent

used the book and got it for $59.20 with drinks etc

good salad bar with the normalities on offer but also had some soup, pumpkin and potatoe and leek. gave the potatoe and leek soup a test and it was quite nice, but its hard to go wrong with that.

id give it a solid 8.5/10
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby am Bays » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:39 pm

The Minister for Home Affairs and Finance and I went to Jollys Boathouse last night -to celebrate 14 years of wedded bliss 8)

We both had the steak with grilled spuds (350 gm Char grilled Scotch fillet with Kiplfer potatos) We both ordered medium rare
Steaks were sensational if not cooked a little too rare for her, fine for me.

For dessert we partook in a menage et trois.... a selection of three of their deserts which the missus consumed the majority of.

Highlight of the night was the Geoff Merrill 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon - wonderfully fruity bouquet with a soft buttery taste. Despite being picked in a drought year this wine is like Amanda Vanstone - full of body!! One to try to source and enjoy again

Service was good and attentful without beaing too over bearing. I enjoyed the nice touch of a selection of breads to choose from after placing our order.

Service 8/10,
Food 8/10,
Price $7/10 ($176 after Entertainment book token used for two courses and a bottle of wine with two pre dinner drinks purchased)
Wine 9/10

Overall 8/10 - will go back again
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:13 pm

Has probably already been mentioned on here, but....

Went to The Earl of Leicester the other night for a mate's birthday. Ordered the Large Schnitzel...... couldn't finish the chips. This thing was seriously large and tasted damn fine too. Went the beef over the chicken and appeared to be an inch and a half thick in some parts. Other peoples meals seemed to be pretty nice too.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 449 times
Been liked: 1215 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Pag » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:15 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:Has probably already been mentioned on here, but....

Went to The Earl of Leicester the other night for a mate's birthday. Ordered the Large Schnitzel...... couldn't finish the chips. This thing was seriously large and tasted damn fine too. Went the beef over the chicken and appeared to be an inch and a half thick in some parts. Other peoples meals seemed to be pretty nice too.

Best in Adelaide, bar none.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:16 pm

Does anyone ever find that when using the entertainment book vouchers that they get sub-standard service, smaller servings or anything similar?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:35 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Does anyone ever find that when using the entertainment book vouchers that they get sub-standard service, smaller servings or anything similar?

not in my experience and the opposite in fact with The Caledonian which is one of those numbers on the card, they didn't punch it out so we could use it again, which we are as the service was just sensational and the food was simply superb
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:36 pm

the poor service/food I had was with The Victory at Sellicks, but they didn't realise we had a Ent. Voucher until the end when we paid.
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion