Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby Wedgie » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:14 pm

DOC wrote:Thanks. That would be about 8 pubs they have bought this year.

Yeah I heard they've been buying up on country pubs. Can't be the money pits everyone thought they were.
Any idea who they are, I didn't ask on the weekend when I was up there.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2022 times
Been liked: 3866 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby gazzamagoo » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:26 pm

amber_fluid wrote:A lot of those pubs were great pubs before Woolies bought them.
The Vic, Espy and Seacliff all have shit service since Woolies bought them

The Seacliff is dumb!
We're all downstairs for dinner but I had to walk upstairs to get G&T's, then personally carry them downstairs!
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:33 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:A lot of those pubs were great pubs before Woolies bought them.

The Seacliff is dumb!
We're all downstairs for dinner but I had to walk upstairs to get G&T's, then personally carry them downstairs!

Coz they use minimal staff to keep costs down.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:47 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:

The Seacliff is dumb!

Or leave the downstairs bar for men while the women can sip their G&T's upstairs. ;)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:00 pm

Wedgie wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:

The Seacliff is dumb!

Or leave the downstairs bar for men while the women can sip their G&T's upstairs. ;)

:lol:
I’m surprised they knew what a G&T was
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:19 pm

amber_fluid wrote: :lol:
I’m surprised they knew what a G&T was

I serve a heap of G&T's even in my western suburbs front bar!
Mind you they are all to the same Greek lady. :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby DOC » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:29 pm

Wedgie wrote:

Yeah I heard they've been buying up on country pubs. Can't be the money pits everyone thought they were.

Yep Duxton Pubs Group.

Founded by Ed Peters, Brett Matthews and Martin Palmer.

Own the Lion, Saracens Head, Cremorne, Old Noarlunga, Woolshed Inn (Bordertown), Royal Oak (Penola), Bushmans Arms (Naracoorte) and the Brompton.

Individually they own plenty of others. Ed has the Crafers, Uraidla, Stirling and other interests,, Matthews have Maylands, Fearthers, Buckingham Arms and others and pLmer has the McLaren Vale and a number of small venues in the CBD such as 2KW.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Spargo » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:39 pm

DOC wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

Yep Duxton Pubs Group.

Founded by Ed Peters, Brett Matthews and Martin Palmer.

Own the Lion, Saracens Head, Cremorne, Old Noarlunga, Woolshed Inn (Bordertown), Royal Oak (Penola), Bushmans Arms (Naracoorte) and the Brompton.

Individually they own plenty of others. Ed has the Crafers, Uraidla, Stirling and other interests,, Matthews have Maylands, Fearthers, Buckingham Arms and others and pLmer has the McLaren Vale and a number of small venues in the CBD such as 2KW.

Palmer has the Morphett Arms, Warradale & Highway too.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5459 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:21 pm

Then you have the Plush Group in the Barossa
They have every pub in the 3 main towns except the community owned Vine Inn and Tanunda Club
Not sure if they still have the Smithfield and Old Spot at Salisbury
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Brucetiki » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:31 pm

Visited Cheers Lily (in the former Cathay Court site on the corner of Airport and Henley Beach Rd).

The owner is overbearing, constantly coming over to check on you. There's a fine line between showing genuine care and making your customers feel uneasy - that line was crossed about 10 minutes into the service.

Had some sweet potato fries to start off with. They were delicious.

Then had the chicken schnitzel for mains. The schnitzel is ridiculously big (you could order it between 2 to share). I got through it, but left feeling nauseous. They also charge $3.95 for gravy/sauces. I ordered the pepper sauce. It was borderline pepper soup. Some of the worst pepper sauce I've ever had.

I may go back, but there's plenty of better options on Henley Beach Rd
They don't keep me here because I'm gorgeous and 5'10
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 181 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:09 pm

At the West Thebby for the first time in about 25 years.
Hardly anyone here and the beer is almost $10 a pint but an interesting array of craft beers, currently enjoying a Mad Mango which is going down a treat.
Don't think the missus will want us staying here long though as there's only two ciders (which she doesn't drink) so she's trying a lager.
Shame as it would be the closest pub to my place walking.
Now to decide the next stop on our mini pub Covid crawl, maybe the Hope Inn or the Wheatsheaf.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:17 pm

Wedgie wrote:At the West Thebby for the first time in about 25 years.
Hardly anyone here and the beer is almost $10 a pint but an interesting array of craft beers, currently enjoying a Mad Mango which is going down a treat.
Don't think the missus will want us staying here long though as there's only two ciders (which she doesn't drink) so she's trying a lager.
Now to decide the next stop on our mini pub Covid crawl, maybe the Hope Inn or the Wheatsheaf.

West Thebby Social Club, was part of Big Shed for a while, thus the crafty's.

Boy, could I tell you some stories about the Webby, they sponsored our cricket club for years.

One bloke would regularly get blind, when he did he was hopeless, one night we opened up the keg cellar in the front bar and dropped him down there, unfortunately we forgot we'd done it and all left to go home. He's woken up in the pitch black to find himself who knows where. He screams for help, the publican hears the yells down stairs, oh to have been there when Marlene AKA The Dragon lifted the door with Rick AKA the Gnome in his jocks with a sawn off .22 pointing down at Brett. :lol: :lol: :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:39 pm

Booney wrote:
Wedgie wrote:At the West Thebby for the first time in about 25 years.

West Thebby Social Club, was part of Big Shed for a while, thus the crafty's.

Boy, could I tell you some stories about the Webby, they sponsored our cricket club for years.

One bloke would regularly get blind, when he did he was hopeless, one night we opened up the keg cellar in the front bar and dropped him down there, unfortunately we forgot we'd done it and all left to go home. He's woken up in the pitch black to find himself who knows where. He screams for help, the publican hears the yells down stairs, oh to have been there when Marlene AKA The Dragon lifted the door with Rick AKA the Gnome in his jocks with a sawn off .22 pointing down at Brett. :lol: :lol: :lol:

LMAO, the poor bastard!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Spargo » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:43 pm

Spargo wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Where do you think their employees and suppliers are from? still local

Wage cuts and less staff equals slow service.

Shit management, no one gives a f#ck…
I could tell numerous stories of how badly run the Seacliff is.

Now not opening the Sports bar on Saturday until midday. WTF???
The races start just after 10, there’s a heap of people who come in early to put their bets on for the day, they now lose all of them. Not to mention those that come in for a drink early, they’re lost too. Must be about the only pub going around with no happy hour on the weekend also. They still refuse to bank kegs, so they blow* regularly & then you have to wait for someone upstairs to eventually change the thing (more beer wastage when pouring off), they continuously run out of the beer of the month & last month didn’t have any beer coasters in the place for a fortnight. It really is embarrassing.
It’s like they don’t want anyone there. Clueless management.

Spargo
Coach

Postby Pseudo » Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:30 pm

Spargo wrote:
Spargo wrote:I could tell numerous stories of how badly run the Seacliff is.

The races start just after 10, there’s a heap of people who come in early to put their bets on for the day, they now lose all of them. Not to mention those that come in for a drink early, they’re lost too. Must be about the only pub going around with no happy hour on the weekend also. They still refuse to bank kegs, so they blow* regularly & then you have to wait for someone upstairs to eventually change the thing (more beer wastage when pouring off), they continuously run out of the beer of the month & last month didn’t have any beer coasters in the place for a fortnight. It really is embarrassing.

I went there with the missus for lunch some time last week, and was heavily impressed with the service. Particular kudos for the indonesian bloke running the tables. Initially we had to share half a bench with another couple inside 'coz the place was doing a brisk trade. With no prompting from us, the indonesian guy came and grabbed us when an outside table became free and re-seated us there, making sure that food and drink delivery was re-routed accordingly.

The only grizzle I have with the place is the dickhead drivers on Wheatland street who lean on their horns while you're waiting for the entrance to the car park to clear so you can turn in to it ... then the prick coming the other way who flicks his lights to let you turn, then abuses you after you give him a thankyou wave and begin turning.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:55 pm

Spargo wrote:

Due to its location they can afford to be lazy unfortunately. Mind you there are a lot of closed off areas of a number of pubs currently
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby carey » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:03 pm

We go to Brighton Caravan park every year at the end of January (this year Sunday 16th till Monday 31st) Seacliff use to have great specials, 2 parmis and a jug etc now they all seem to have gone.

Not a bad venue to punt and the locals seem to love it. Hopefully this Covid shit will be fully gone when we go to Brighton and I’ll settle in for a cuple of sessions.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:16 pm

carey wrote:We go to Brighton Caravan park every year at the end of January (this year Sunday 16th till Monday 31st) Seacliff use to have great specials, 2 parmis and a jug etc now they all seem to have gone.

Not a bad venue to punt and the locals seem to love it. Hopefully this Covid shit will be fully gone when we go to Brighton and I’ll settle in for a cuple of sessions.

The Holdy down at the Bay has 2 x 600g parmi’s plus a mega jug for $50. Also they do 2 take away schnitzels plus 2 big cans of Sapporo for $30. Fair value and a good feed.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Spargo » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:45 pm

carey wrote:We go to Brighton Caravan park every year at the end of January (this year Sunday 16th till Monday 31st) Seacliff use to have great specials, 2 parmis and a jug etc now they all seem to have gone.

No padded red chairs, sorry.

Spargo
Coach

Postby carey » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:33 pm

Spargo wrote:

No padded red chairs, sorry.

Lol :D
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion