Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:13 am

Greek on Halifax

Started with what was meant to be four of us ended up being two as our GM had to pick his daughter up unexpectedly and another colleague had to rush off as his 84 year old mother had a fall, suited me fine anyway as my boss and I get along pretty well and like the same things, beer, food and wine.

We started with the Four Island mixed dip Pita platter, there was a caviar, a garlic-like, a beetroot and another one that I didn't hear properly but hooked into aswell, we thought being a Greek restaurant we'd do the right thing and drink the Greek "Fix" beer and to keep it in the region we knocked off a couple of bottles of McLaren Vale Cab Sav's.

We got the $145 mixed grill consisting of prawns, calamari, octopus, lamb yiros, lamb cutlets and chicken souvlakia, everything was cooked to perfection with the octopus probably ranking #1 for me.

Overall, service was quick, polite and helpful, they didn't mind us trying the wine before buying it.

Ratings

Quality: 9.5
Service: 9
Atmosphere: 9
Value: 9

I'd have to go 9 on the value, all up I'd imagine it would've came to near $500, but that was only $164 on food. We then made our way to Skycity Sports Bar to watch the footy and kick on a bit, had a bit of a flutter on roulette as the boss wanted to show me this 7 chip plan he had, we did alright.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby HH3 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:25 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Greek on Halifax

Started with what was meant to be four of us ended up being two as our GM had to pick his daughter up unexpectedly and another colleague had to rush off as his 84 year old mother had a fall, suited me fine anyway as my boss and I get along pretty well and like the same things, beer, food and wine.

We started with the Four Island mixed dip Pita platter, there was a caviar, a garlic-like, a beetroot and another one that I didn't hear properly but hooked into aswell, we thought being a Greek restaurant we'd do the right thing and drink the Greek "Fix" beer and to keep it in the region we knocked off a couple of bottles of McLaren Vale Cab Sav's.

We got the $145 mixed grill consisting of prawns, calamari, octopus, lamb yiros, lamb cutlets and chicken souvlakia, everything was cooked to perfection with the octopus probably ranking #1 for me.

Overall, service was quick, polite and helpful, they didn't mind us trying the wine before buying it.

Ratings

I'd have to go 9 on the value, all up I'd imagine it would've came to near $500, but that was only $164 on food. We then made our way to Skycity Sports Bar to watch the footy and kick on a bit, had a bit of a flutter on roulette as the boss wanted to show me this 7 chip plan he had, we did alright.

Sounds fabulous.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:27 am

HH3 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Greek on Halifax

Ratings

Sounds fabulous.

Absolutely, I lost my taxi home receipt and was spewing a bit, managed to get them to send me a new one via email.

I'm at work today for a break, my liver would be hating me.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:06 am

JK wrote:Missus and myself used the Scoupon deal at the Holdy today, food was excellent. Definitely be grabbing more of those if they become available again.

Mines only got a few weeks left on it, time is escaping us!!!
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:24 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
JK wrote:Missus and myself used the Scoupon deal at the Holdy today, food was excellent. Definitely be grabbing more of those if they become available again.

Mines only got a few weeks left on it, time is escaping us!!!

Use on way home from Pt Elliott??
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:28 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Use on way home from Pt Elliott??

Expired by then and will have the kids with us. Just gonna have to jump in the car and go there without consultation.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby HH3 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:46 am

Has anyone used an Ambassadors Card for discounted meals?

We have one included in our lease. According to the website, its basically the same as the Entertainment book but different places.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:50 am

HH3 wrote:Has anyone used an Ambassadors Card for discounted meals?

We have one included in our lease. According to the website, its basically the same as the Entertainment book but different places.

Yeah mate. I have one through the PSA. I used to use it all the time in Berri as the Hotel used to do 2 for 1 meals for all Albassador Card holders and then they realised how much they were getting shafted and canned it. They send out a book with all the restaurants etc and they have some good discounts. There are even a few joints in Adelaide that still do the 2 for 1 meals. It gives you discounts for all types of stuff other than restaurants etc as well.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby HH3 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:56 am

Bum Crack wrote:

Yeah mate. I have one through the PSA. I used to use it all the time in Berri as the Hotel used to do 2 for 1 meals for all Albassador Card holders and then they realised how much they were getting shafted and canned it. They send out a book with all the restaurants etc and they have some good discounts. There are even a few joints in Adelaide that still do the 2 for 1 meals. It gives you discounts for all types of stuff other than restaurants etc as well.

Awesome. So it's unlimited how many times you can use it at the same place?

Not heaps of places to choose from, but the discounts are decent.

I had a look at some of the other stuff. 25% off a service at Midas, etc seems pretty good considering we get the card for free.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:05 pm

HH3 wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:

Awesome. So it's unlimited how many times you can use it at the same place?

Not heaps of places to choose from, but the discounts are decent.

I had a look at some of the other stuff. 25% off a service at Midas, etc seems pretty good considering we get the card for free.

U can go to the same place as many times as you want.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby The Bedge » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:52 am

Da Darbar - Pakistani & Afghan fine Cuisine
522 Lower North East Rd, Campelltown

Travelled out to try a new place with the mrs for date night, and chose Da Darbar. On arrival realised is wasn't a "shop" but rather a large house (previously been a chiro). The house actually worked really well, gave it a comfortable feel, and we were directed to the front room to seat. Ideal area if you wanted to have a large dinner party, beautifully spaced seating with a gentle middle eastern tunes playing softly overheard.

Waiter/waitress were very helpful and polite, and checked up on us often during our stay.

Always hard choosing, so i'm one of those people that does share, and I proceeded to order..

Began with Afghani Lamb Manto - fresh lamb mince stuffed steamed dumplings served with a mince lamb lentil gravy and garlic yoghurt sauce. Devine. Soft beautifully cooked dumplings, lentils provided a lovely smooth texture and the lamb mince was awesome.

Next requested a Prawn Tikka, but they were out of prawns and offered up a Fish Tikka instead. Chunks of succulent salmon came out with a cucumber raita. Reasonable sized pieces, and a lovely chargrilled taste as cooked over coals, but was a little small for my liking and if it was only this I bought I would've left hungry.

Goat Karahi was the next dish and boy oh boy this was my favourite by a long way! Goat meat cooked in a mix of Karachi masalas and yoghurt, garnished with freshly chopped ginger and coriander, hint of chilli and nice serving quantity. The goat was mouth watering, soft and decadent - you could literally pull it apart with just your fork and expose the gorgeous tinge of pink inside and it literally melted in your mouth. The hint of chilli gave it a subtle kick.

I combined this goat with a Hot & Spicy Chutney and Afghan Chilli Chutney - the mint chutney was brilliant! So fresh and zesty you could taste the elements of mint, corriandor, chilli, lime all fused together to give it a slight kick but leave your palate feeling clean and tingling for more.

Karachi Chicken Biryani came with it - Mrs liked it best, but I found it to be.. well how exciting can rice be lol. Cooked in special hot n spice masalas with dried plums and potatoes and served with a mint raita it was still really nice, and went well with the naan and goat karahi.

Last main was Lamb Seekh Kabab - couple of minced lamb marinated in spices and grilled over charcoal. Was nice, little dry for my liking but worked well with the Biryani which provide some moisture.

Have to finish with dessert and Gulab Jamun was ordered. Generally not a fan of these little dough like deep fried balls swimming in sugar syrup, but these were YUM! Came out warm and I think that was the key, syrup wasn't too over powering and the balls were cooked to perfection.

Couple of waters and soft drinks to wash it all down - the owners are muslin so no alcohol served on the premises (would've like a glass or two of red).

Overall left feeling very full and satisfied and the bill came to $102.50 - pretty good value I think.

Ambience: 8/10
Food: 8/10 (portion sizes on some could've been better)
Overall: 8/10 will definitely return
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby locky801 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:14 pm

The Bedge wrote:Da Darbar - Pakistani & Afghan fine Cuisine
522 Lower North East Rd, Campelltown

Travelled out to try a new place with the mrs for date night, and chose Da Darbar. On arrival realised is wasn't a "shop" but rather a large house (previously been a chiro). The house actually worked really well, gave it a comfortable feel, and we were directed to the front room to seat. Ideal area if you wanted to have a large dinner party, beautifully spaced seating with a gentle middle eastern tunes playing softly overheard.

Waiter/waitress were very helpful and polite, and checked up on us often during our stay.

Always hard choosing, so i'm one of those people that does share, and I proceeded to order..

Began with Afghani Lamb Manto - fresh lamb mince stuffed steamed dumplings served with a mince lamb lentil gravy and garlic yoghurt sauce. Devine. Soft beautifully cooked dumplings, lentils provided a lovely smooth texture and the lamb mince was awesome.

Next requested a Prawn Tikka, but they were out of prawns and offered up a Fish Tikka instead. Chunks of succulent salmon came out with a cucumber raita. Reasonable sized pieces, and a lovely chargrilled taste as cooked over coals, but was a little small for my liking and if it was only this I bought I would've left hungry.

Goat Karahi was the next dish and boy oh boy this was my favourite by a long way! Goat meat cooked in a mix of Karachi masalas and yoghurt, garnished with freshly chopped ginger and coriander, hint of chilli and nice serving quantity. The goat was mouth watering, soft and decadent - you could literally pull it apart with just your fork and expose the gorgeous tinge of pink inside and it literally melted in your mouth. The hint of chilli gave it a subtle kick.

I combined this goat with a Hot & Spicy Chutney and Afghan Chilli Chutney - the mint chutney was brilliant! So fresh and zesty you could taste the elements of mint, corriandor, chilli, lime all fused together to give it a slight kick but leave your palate feeling clean and tingling for more.

Karachi Chicken Biryani came with it - Mrs liked it best, but I found it to be.. well how exciting can rice be lol. Cooked in special hot n spice masalas with dried plums and potatoes and served with a mint raita it was still really nice, and went well with the naan and goat karahi.

Last main was Lamb Seekh Kabab - couple of minced lamb marinated in spices and grilled over charcoal. Was nice, little dry for my liking but worked well with the Biryani which provide some moisture.

Have to finish with dessert and Gulab Jamun was ordered. Generally not a fan of these little dough like deep fried balls swimming in sugar syrup, but these were YUM! Came out warm and I think that was the key, syrup wasn't too over powering and the balls were cooked to perfection.

Couple of waters and soft drinks to wash it all down - the owners are muslin so no alcohol served on the premises (would've like a glass or two of red).

Overall left feeling very full and satisfied and the bill came to $102.50 - pretty good value I think.

Ambience: 8/10
Food: 8/10 (portion sizes on some could've been better)
Overall: 8/10 will definitely return

Going to have to train hard to work all that off, sounds delicious might have to pull it on one night with the Mrs
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3647 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:56 pm

Chrities Beach Hotel

7 people.

Menu is standard pub grub served standard.

No real complaints foodwise.

But when we went to order dessert, a sign was up "30 mins delay on food " so we made sure that dessert wasnt going to be delayed. We were assured it wasnt.
We all ordered together.
1 came out quick smart, and she was last to order....
Others came out 20odd mins later and just fair.

They are doing good upgrades with an outdoor decking area which looks good for some drinks as you watch the sunset.

But don't rush there for the food.
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:04 am

Vasili's Taverna - Port Adelaide

Couldn't be arsed organizing anything for dinner last night so a last minute decision to grab a yiros from the new joint in the Port.

$17 combo for yiros and drink. No chips? Not needed. With the pork, lamb and chicken all rotating above glowing coals the place smells a treat!

I went the combo with g/sauce, awesome. The lamb seasoned, the chicken moist, the pork crispy with crackling, lettuce, tomato, onion.

Bit of a prick of a place to get to as the bus stop out the front means no parking there and they only accept cash, no card facilities. Lucky I had coin on me as well.

Vasili threw in half a dozen chicken wings and a couple of small lamb chops for good measure. All excellent. Looks like a place I'll be dining in sooner rather than later.

Yiros - top shelf, no need for chips with it 9/10
Service - Nice people, no EFTPOS might throw some people 7/10
Access - Shite, have to park around the corner. 5/10

Over all, ripper yiros that's close to home.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:16 am

Booney wrote:Vasili's Taverna - Port Adelaide

Couldn't be arsed organizing anything for dinner last night so a last minute decision to grab a yiros from the new joint in the Port.

$17 combo for yiros and drink. No chips? Not needed. With the pork, lamb and chicken all rotating above glowing coals the place smells a treat!

I went the combo with g/sauce, awesome. The lamb seasoned, the chicken moist, the pork crispy with crackling, lettuce, tomato, onion.

Bit of a prick of a place to get to as the bus stop out the front means no parking there and they only accept cash, no card facilities. Lucky I had coin on me as well.

Vasili threw in half a dozen chicken wings and a couple of small lamb chops for good measure. All excellent. Looks like a place I'll be dining in sooner rather than later.

Where abouts?? I'm down this way basically daily. Be good for lunch!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:27 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

Eastern side opposite Cash Converters, a little ways up Commercial Road, 6 or 8 shops.

Tell him you saw them on Facebook, was the kicker for the free bits he threw in.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:28 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

If you like a great yiros stop in at Niks BBQ on the lake at Mawson Lakes, big chunks of superbly marinated meat, for someone that isn't really a chip fan I must say that they do the best chips too in the package with a can of coke.

The one at the Churchill Centre goes alright too, they aren't scabby with their fillings, I was a bit of a regular there for a while and would pick some up for the work colleagues and next thing you I could barely close my yiros.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby HH3 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:30 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:The one at the Churchill Centre goes alright too, they aren't scabby with their fillings, I was a bit of a regular there for a while and would pick some up for the work colleagues and next thing you I could barely close my yiros.

This is my favourite yiros in the area. Im gonna have to try Booneys mates though.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:58 pm

The Park
Thaxted Park golf club restaurant.

Had heard good things.
Had a voucher as part of membership. Due to run out end of september, half price 2nd main meal.

Mrs went Chicken Parmi and considering I didnt get a taste, (a good thing as you will see) the reports are it was quite good.
I went with a Mixed Grill.
**** me. Mixed Grill. **** me, it came out on a metre long plate. A few other patrons came in as it was being served and that was enough to make up their minds. It had salad, veg, chips in a basket, pineapple, calamari, 3 different mustards, onions, lamb cutlet, rissole, kranski, bacon and something else im struggling to remember as im suffering a major food coma.
The mixed Grill $29.50 and worth every cent.
Parmi and pint with voucher
$46. With discount down from $60 sumthin

One of the best mixed grills I had. Although i feel it needed an egg
Staff were extremely welcoming and very attentive.

Value for money 8/10
Ambience 8/10
Overall its a 8/10 and will be back to test out the rest of the menu!
Its not a venue you think of for meals, a golf club, but any southerners Id encourage you to give it a go.

And for those hacking around, it would be a great way to finish off the day, off the course and into a rib eye!!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby DOC » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:30 pm

No steak?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

PreviousNext