Bali Nine - is the death penalty justice?

Anything!

Bali Nine - is the death penalty justice?

by dedja » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:18 am

It seems two of the Bali Nine who have been sentenced to the death penalty will have their sentence carried out soon.

Is this deserved justice, or an abhorrent injustice?
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Re: Bali Nine - is the death penalty justice?

by Bully » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:32 am

i dont believe it is no. Stupid. The fact of the matter is that if they were not smuggling drugs into this country then they wouldnt be in the situation

But it is that countries rules where you can get away with murder basically yet be sentenced to death for drugs. But we cant control what goes on in that country. They knew the rules before going there, so it is their fault also.

Had this same post on FB pages for newspapers and people saying its stupid yes for not getting worse treatment for murder or the likes, but it is this countries rules and if you set foot on their land you need to abide by them.
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

by Jimmy_041 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:47 am

Bully wrote:i dont believe it is no. Stupid. The fact of the matter is that if they were not smuggling drugs into this country then they wouldnt be in the situation

But it is that countries rules where you can get away with murder basically yet be sentenced to death for drugs. But we cant control what goes on in that country. They knew the rules before going there, so it is their fault also.

Had this same post on FB pages for newspapers and people saying its stupid yes for not getting worse treatment for murder or the likes, but it is this countries rules and if you set foot on their land you need to abide by them.

But you can blow people up and get out in 5 years
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

by Bully » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:56 pm

again, i agree. Someone blows others up and is free in 5 years

someone smuggles drugs and gets death. It is stupid.

AGAIN - this is this countries rules.
Bully
Coach

by heater31 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:02 pm

Simple answer is don't get involved with the stuff in the first place then you won't be in this shit!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

by RustyCage » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:33 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421557361.759211.jpg
(81.54 KiB) Downloaded 3655 times

You have to be pretty stupid to even try
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

by Bully » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:32 pm

or some cant read !

am sure some will blame tony for this....
Bully
Coach

by Q. » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:39 pm

Bully wrote:am sure some will blame tony for this....

well, it's pretty much his fault
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

by gadj1976 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:22 pm

Yes.

I am torn though. I think it's harsh but then it's not like they don't advertise the fact that if you do it, and get caught you're in big trouble.

I just wonder how many other people are scared off trafficking into Bali because of it. If it's none, then it's not working. If it's lots, then it is. We'll never know though.

If you DO take on the risk then get caught, I find it strange that firstly people bleat about being caught and secondly their families going on about how good they are, what great citizens they are and how responsible they now are. Tough! If they didn't traffic in the first place, they wouldn't have to worry about death penalties!

I always believe I'm responsible for my own actions. If I do something and something happens accordingly then that's my fault. Not the governments! If these guys reckon they can get off, then realistically they're saying "no risk, all reward" and it makes a mockery of the Indonesian governments rulings.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

by carey » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:33 pm

It's a tough one.

Weren't one of them 17 at the time? We all did stupid things at 17 (Granted not smuggling drugs) but to lose your life for doing one stupid thing?
Yes, Rules are rules and I agree on a lot of the above posts but.......

Very tough. I guess Indonesia doing this sets a standard and sends a message especially with a new leader in.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2803 times
Been liked: 2996 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

by JK » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:20 pm

It is tough, but at the end of the day I dont think it matters what we think as we have no say ({and no right to have a say) in the legislation of another country.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

by Failed Creation » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:22 pm

JK wrote:It is tough, but at the end of the day I dont think it matters what we think as we have no say ({and no right to have a say) in the legislation of another country.

I agree 100% with this statement.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

by Jim05 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:02 pm

Dont feel sorry for them, deserve what they get
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

by LaughingKookaburra » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:07 pm

You're crazy to smuggle drugs in to Indonesia. Been twice in last 12 months as I'm sure many on here have been. Soon as I got past the toll booth in Bali there was security everywhere and they are looking for any suspicious people in the terminal. Security at that airport is head and shoulders above that in any Australian airport.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

by woodublieve12 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:36 am

Indonesian government is so corrupt its not funny... They are willing to spend a large amount of money to get their own off in saudi arabia but tell other countries to mind there business and respect the law when it comes to their laws...

I don't have an issue with the death penalty, for murderers and child molestors... Touch harsh on drug smuggling...

Saying that they knew the risks when they attempted this and unfortunately have to deal with the consiquences..
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2398 times

by Psyber » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:27 pm

I'm not fond of the death penalty in principle, because of the risk of wrongful convictions.
It may have a place for offenders found guilty repeatedly of serious crimes - like the US "3 time loser" concept.
As drug smugglers are prepared to risk others' lives as well as their own, and it may be a fair thing in their case...
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

by Dogwatcher » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:34 pm

Drug smugglers aren't risking the lives of others. Those who take the drugs are choosing to risk their own lives.

I don't agree with the death penalty and would actively protest if moves were ever made to introduce it here.
I believe that, in Indonesia, the law states you will die if caught smuggling drugs, so the Bali Nine must wear the consequences.
However, we should not begrudge Australian citizens, nor their families, from receiving whatever help they can from the Australian Government to have these sentences commuted.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

by Psyber » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:53 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Drug smugglers aren't risking the lives of others. Those who take the drugs are choosing to risk their own lives.

I don't agree with the death penalty and would actively protest if moves were ever made to introduce it here.
I believe that, in Indonesia, the law states you will die if caught smuggling drugs, so the Bali Nine must wear the consequences.
However, we should not begrudge Australian citizens, nor their families, from receiving whatever help they can from the Australian Government to have these sentences commuted.

I agree with you in general.

However, many drug users I have seen asserted they had been assured by dealer's that the drugs are "perfectly safe" and that the authorities are lying, and of course the dealer's know they are selling a product that can kill or damage the user. Ecstasy is an example of this - it can cause, and has in some cases caused, massive hyper-pyrexia and subsequent brain damage or death.

Then St Johns Wort can do the same if a person takes it on top of an SSRI antidepressant, but the SJW bottles usually say something bland like, ".. may interact negatively with some prescribed medications".
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

by Dogwatcher » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:15 am

There's enough education around that people know that drugs are not "perfectly safe", despite what their friendly, caring dealer might be telling them. That's just an excuse for them taking a chance on something.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

by Booney » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:17 am

I've changed my view over the years on the death penalty. Previously, I was for it, thinking some crimes befit that penalty. Over time ( in many ways ) I've softened and think that very few crimes, if any, deserve the death penalty.

Having said that, these people made a conscious decision to attempt to smuggle drugs from a country that they know has this penalty in place. So, they bear the consequences.

As DW said, I have no problem with the Australian government applying as much pressure as diplomatically possible to have these people pardoned.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Next

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion