Who is the "Greatest Ever Sportsman"?

Anything!

Re: Who is the "Greatest Ever Sportsman"?

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:37 am

teamdefense2017 wrote:My two bobs worth....and it is really hard because all mentioned are amazing sportsman!

On the surface Bradman's numbers suggest he was so significantly better than anyone before or since that he is the best.
He averaged twice as much as the next best. Not just averaging more, but twice as much.
Not sure any other sportsman can claim that?

He also played against only 4 teams in his time, 3 of which he played only 5 times.

His numbers v India and South Africa suggest they weren't particularly polished. His numbers against England look to be the most accurate reflection of his unquestionable talents.

Versus Mat Inns NO 100s50s 0s HS Runs Avg
England 37 63 7 19 12 6 334 5028 89.79
India 5 6 2 4 1 0 201 715 178.75
South Africa 5 5 1 4 0 0 299* 806 201.50
West Indies 5 6 0 2 0 1 223 447 74.50
Overall (4) 52 80 10 29 13 7 334 6996 99.94
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:38 am

teamdefense2017 wrote:My two bobs worth....and it is really hard because all mentioned are amazing sportsman!

On the surface Bradman's numbers suggest he was so significantly better than anyone before or since that he is the best.
He averaged twice as much as the next best. Not just averaging more, but twice as much.

You’re right it really is hard to argue against Bradman with his statistics.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:53 am

Bart Cummings was once asked which of the horses he had trained was the greatest :

"I don't compare champions, I just admire them".
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:58 am

Booney wrote:

He also played against only 4 teams in his time, 3 of which he played only 5 times.

His numbers v India and South Africa suggest they weren't particularly polished. His numbers against England look to be the most accurate reflection of his unquestionable talents.

Versus Mat Inns NO 100s50s 0s HS Runs Avg
England 37 63 7 19 12 6 334 5028 89.79
India 5 6 2 4 1 0 201 715 178.75
South Africa 5 5 1 4 0 0 299* 806 201.50
West Indies 5 6 0 2 0 1 223 447 74.50
Overall (4) 52 80 10 29 13 7 334 6996 99.94

Struggled against the Windies.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby morell » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:43 pm

The issue I have with Bradman is cricket isn't played by the majority of the sporting world. Half of Europe, China, Japan, South America and of course the US don't play cricket. Same argument can be used to refute Gretsky.

For mine it has to be someone from athletics, swimming, Soccer or Basketball.

Out of those it's Bolt, Phelps, Pele and Jordan.

I'd pick Jordan.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby jo172 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:52 pm

morell wrote:The issue I have with Bradman is cricket isn't played by the majority of the sporting world. Half of Europe, China, Japan, South America and of course the US don't play cricket. Same argument can be used to refute Gretsky.

For mine it has to be someone from athletics, swimming, Soccer or Basketball.

Out of those it's Bolt, Phelps, Pele and Jordan.

I'd pick Jordan.

Basketball barely counts as being played by the majority of the sporting world. Outside of America most of the rest of the world has only really seriously engaged with it in the last 30 years.

Swimming also tends to cut out all but first world countries.

Agree if you want to measure it by equality to access to the sports it needs to be Athletics/Soccer.

To go back to the Mundine thing Boxing has a relatively good claim too
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby morell » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:36 pm

Fair points, as always Jo.

I am resistant to pick athletics, to me it’s not really a sporty sport - if you know what I mean. I think team sports should take precedence as you have to interact with humans to achieve an outcome, against other humans who are trying to do the same thing. That’s where the sporting etymology comes from for mine. Then we creep into what is and is not “sport”. Darts? Snooker? Wrestling? Fishing? Weightlifting? MMA? Horse Racing?

I agree that Basketball has only gained worldwide prominence over the last 3-4 decades. I wouldn’t put forward Magic, Kareem, Chamberlain, Russell or Robertson for that very reason despite them being in that upper echelon of Basketball with MJ. But that’s also why I pick Jordan. He created a literal worldwide phenomenon and launched the sport into the mainstream in places never thought possible – such was his athleticism, competitiveness, dominance and brilliance.

He transcended the sport, in other words. The only other person I can think of that has done anything similar during my time is Conor McGregor.
morell
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:44 pm

I rate Chamberlain higher than Jordan, they had to change rules because Wilt was so amazing.
Over 100 points in a game, 55 rebounds in a game, over 20,000 roots.......
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Spargo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:46 pm

morell wrote:Fair points, as always Jo.

I am resistant to pick athletics, to me it’s not really a sporty sport - if you know what I mean. I think team sports should take precedence as you have to interact with humans to achieve an outcome, against other humans who are trying to do the same thing. That’s where the sporting etymology comes from for mine. Then we creep into what is and is not “sport”. Darts? Snooker? Wrestling? Fishing? Weightlifting? MMA? Horse Racing?

I agree that Basketball has only gained worldwide prominence over the last 3-4 decades. I wouldn’t put forward Magic, Kareem, Chamberlain, Russell or Robertson for that very reason despite them being in that upper echelon of Basketball with MJ. But that’s also why I pick Jordan. He created a literal worldwide phenomenon and launched the sport into the mainstream in places never thought possible – such was his athleticism, competitiveness, dominance and brilliance.

He transcended the sport, in other words. The only other person I can think of that has done anything similar during my time is Conor McGregor.

If it wasn’t for Bird & Johnson, there might not have been an MJ as such. Those two resurrected and transcended a league that was on its knees & would’ve probably died if it had to wait for Jordan.
In a way, Jordan (who no doubt is the greatest basketballer of all time) was a byproduct of Larry & Magic.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:50 pm

I preferred just prior to their era, Dr J, Moses Malone, Abdul Kareem Jamar, etc.
I lost interest in the NBA as Jordan became big.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:51 pm

Kelly Slater - winning world championships in his 40's against kids half his age
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:52 pm

Dutchy wrote:Kelly Slater - winning world championships in his 40's against kids half his age

And having to put up with a girls name.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby morell » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:53 pm

Wedgie wrote:I rate Chamberlain higher than Jordan, they had to change rules because Wilt was so amazing.

He was competing against nerdy 6ft white dudes in an era with no three point line and basketball was a back blocks novelty.

He's a legend, but not in Jordan's league.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:55 pm

Spargo wrote:

If it wasn’t for Bird & Johnson, there might not have been an MJ as such. Those two resurrected and transcended a league that was on its knees & would’ve probably died if it had to wait for Jordan.
In a way, Jordan (who no doubt is the greatest basketballer of all time) was a byproduct of Larry & Magic.
They provided the backboard, perhaps, as for Jordan to be able to skyrocket he had to beat/go past people that were damn good too. Just like the above point about Wilt.
Last edited by morell on Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morell
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:55 pm

morell wrote:
Wedgie wrote:I rate Chamberlain higher than Jordan, they had to change rules because Wilt was so amazing.

He was competing against nerdy 6ft white dudes in an era with no three point line and basketball was a back blocks novelty.

He's a legend, but not in Jordan's league.

He was competing against players like Bill Russell who were neither white, nerdy or 6 foot.
We will have to agree to disagree :)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby morell » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:58 pm

Yeah and Russell was the only one to mitigate him

Jordan went against people as physically gifted as him every single night.
morell
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:07 pm

Sorry mate, it's just an opinion and one I would never change. I grew up studying basketball and am not as influenced by the media as others may be.
My best mate agrees with you if that helps :)

I could never decide on a GOAT in regard to all sports people, there hasn't been a standout IMHO. At the end of the day people will pick their favourites not necessarily the best.
I'd find it a lot easier to put a top ten or twenty together though including people like Chamberlain, Pele, Bradman, Phelps, Woods, Federer, Bolt, Dietrich, etc.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:08 pm

Why do you think it has to be someone from a team sport? Quite often those guys are a byproduct of their team too. If Jordan was in a shit team all his life there is no way he counts as the greatest.

Some of the individual sports are more “pure” - there is no subjectivity about usain bolt or Michael Phelps or Federer being the best in their respective sports because they have shown for years that they are better than their competition.

Cricket is more easily measured because even though it’s a team game almost all interactions are 1v1
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:16 pm

I used to feel like this, until I started to try to run a few marathons, and to see athletes run them in about 2 hour, or 3 minute clicks, and other athletes running 10000 in sub-30's blows you away as to how good they are.
Also, how much of your success depends on your teammates or your greatness when you are trying to name the best individuals.
How about relays? Teamwork is crucial even though the majority of the action comes down to performing indiviudally, much like batting in cricket.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:22 pm

Do "E Sports" count?
My son gets my vote.
Wedgie
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion