Coronavirus (Covid19)

Anything!

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19)

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:54 am

whufc wrote:Interesting Italy has been in lockdown for almost a month now and their cases continue to just rise and rise

I wonder what point it’s going to get to there.

Can they can keep people in lockdown for 3,6,9 months, is that just as inhumane as asking people to live with threat of coronavirus.

What’s there next step if a lockdown doesn’t work as Scott Morrison believes is the case.

Italy lost control when people were presenting who had no idea how they got it in their thousands. Literally thousands who didn't know who they got it from. The ability to cross into and out of Italy from France, Switzerland and Austria in a region of Italy with a very old demographic meant it was always going to spread like wildfire.

In SA the 42 cases all know where they got it, either from coming back to SA from interstate or overseas and 1 case contracted it in SA from his partner who had been interstate.

When we get people presenting with no idea how they got it we're in trouble.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Brodlach » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:08 am

Footy Chick wrote:
whufc wrote:Interesting Italy has been in lockdown for almost a month now and their cases continue to just rise and rise

Can they can keep people in lockdown for 3,6,9 months, is that just as inhumane as asking people to live with threat of coronavirus.

What’s there next step if a lockdown doesn’t work as Scott Morrison believes is the case.

big difference.

You're looking at 60 million people in a country the size of Victoria. Compared to 25 million in a country that 25 times bigger than Italy.

Of course it's going to spread like wildfire.

Exactly. And I don’t agree with FC often :lol:

Our closest major city is 800km away not right next door
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Dutchy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:10 am

Expect a joint announcement by all banks today
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Brodlach » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:10 am

Dutchy wrote:Expect a joint announcement by all banks today

Saying?

If they cannot holt payments maybe they could just take the interest part of the payment (if that makes sense)
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:18 am

Beginning of the week SA had 29 confirmed cases, today its 42. Not a large increase really.

I feel that cause we are isolated form the Eastern states to a degree, low travel occurring & smaller population we have an opportunity here to grab control of this.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:19 am

Brodlach wrote:

Saying?

If they cannot holt payments maybe they could just take the interest part of the payment (if that makes sense)

If you've lost your job or are experiencing financial hardship you will be able to halt or defer mortgage payments, among other initiatives.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:19 am

Brodlach wrote:

Saying?

All of the above I believe. A chance for all to take a breath and assess the future, it wont save all businesses long term though.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Brodlach » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:35 am

Booney wrote:
Brodlach wrote:

Saying?

If you've lost your job or are experiencing financial hardship you will be able to halt or defer mortgage payments, among other initiatives.

Yep understand that, I am one that can afford to pay my mortgageif I don’t work for a while. However if people didn’t have to pay their full mortgage would people go out and spend money elsewhere which would help the economy bounce back? Spend it at small businesses?

Just a thought
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:45 am

Brodlach wrote:
Booney wrote:
Brodlach wrote:

Saying?

Yep understand that, I am one that can afford to pay my mortgageif I don’t work for a while. However if people didn’t have to pay their full mortgage would people go out and spend money elsewhere which would help the economy bounce back? Spend it at small businesses?

Just a thought

I think they most definitely would. Be the best stimulus package the country could get. That's why I think the banks should defer all payments for 6 weeks for everyone just to get that money spent back in the community.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Brodlach » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:52 am

Helps business
Helps the Government’s with GST revenue
Helps the banks claw back some respect
Helps consumers confidence
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:57 am

Brodlach wrote:Helps business
Helps the Government’s with GST revenue
Helps the banks claw back some respect
Helps consumers confidence
I think the big kicker will be some form of rent relief, this seems to be the big one.
The government either has to step in or many tenants will just simply have to walk away
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3536 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:28 am

Brodlach wrote:
Booney wrote:
Brodlach wrote:

Saying?

Just a thought

Should keep sportsbet in business :D
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:37 am

I guess it hasnt been mentioned because they dont want complacency creeping in but is there a chance that it wont actually take off here in SA or more broadly in Australia?
Can it be knocked on the head completely by not letting anyone into the country once people have recovered? Are we better off having a slow spread to build the immunity? I guess what im saying is there any benefit to completely shutting it down in Australia or will that just mean when we open the borders again we become more susceptible?

Also on the tinfoil hat note, I saw a graph, pretty much all countries have lost around 25% financially in their markets, China 0.3% growth. its starting to get very smelly. China also reporting no new cases, do they have a cure? Did they have a cure from the start? Was it deliberately released?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Dutchy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:38 am

Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby whufc » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:38 am

Booney wrote:

Italy lost control when people were presenting who had no idea how they got it in their thousands. Literally thousands who didn't know who they got it from. The ability to cross into and out of Italy from France, Switzerland and Austria in a region of Italy with a very old demographic meant it was always going to spread like wildfire.

In SA the 42 cases all know where they got it, either from coming back to SA from interstate or overseas and 1 case contracted it in SA from his partner who had been interstate.

When we get people presenting with no idea how they got it we're in trouble.

I’m not comparing it to our situation just wondering what their next step is
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Oaksnaf » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:40 am

My small brain opinion.

1) Maintaining low currency (currently 0.5780 against USD - did bottom at 0.5530 yesterday) will benefit Australia as foreign investment into our cheap products drives employment and inflation. I estimate China will be rebounding quickly from this situation and cheap imports will help surge their silk road project along. Plus they have gotten use to domestic demand from the trade war and their lift of the one child policy means China are perfectly placed to lift Australia out of this economic hole.

2) Federal Government raises most of it's revenue through income tax. By cutting company tax rates immediately we can help encourage employers to hold onto employees. We know special dispensation is allowed for certain agriculture businesses who receive tax relief in drought and can hold over profits in good years to help assist in leaner years.

3) Split the stimulus package. Based on your income assessment situation the stimulus package is to go per household.
A) Households with over 180k incomes can have access to a special superannuation withdrawal of $5,000-$10,000 to encourage spending. On the proviso that within the next 3 years the money must be returned back into the account via salary sacrificing.
B) Households with less than 180k income receive Government cash stimulus package of $2,500-$5,000.

4) Each council is given extra staff members who are familiar with online banking + payments. And are the sole point of contract for small businesses who need assistance with set-up for online payments. We need to encourage small businesses to have access to payment/sales platforms immediately.

5) Hospitals + Local GP Practitioners etc What can we do there?

Team-work is going to be required to manage this. Team as a family. Team as a community.
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Has liked: 130 times
Been liked: 291 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:49 am

Conversely the importers are going to struggle with the low USD, margins are going to be smashed, when many are already on tight margins.

Can only hope many importers hedged their USD positions, if a significant part of their product comes from China etc.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Oaksnaf » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:58 am

Dutchy wrote:Conversely the importers are going to struggle with the low USD, margins are going to be smashed, when many are already on tight margins.

Can only hope many importers hedged their USD positions, if a significant part of their product comes from China etc.

Excess stocks worldwide will see cheap prices to move stock, I don't think the importers will be hit too much. A depreciation of 15% will impact margins, but one would expect products in high stocks to reduce by 15% in price.

Exporters have problems if banks have a margin call on their old sales.

But yes absolutely. Someone will always be negatively affected by whatever action you take. Unless it rains money.
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Has liked: 130 times
Been liked: 291 times

Postby whufc » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:06 pm

daysofourlives wrote:I guess it hasnt been mentioned because they dont want complacency creeping in but is there a chance that it wont actually take off here in SA or more broadly in Australia?
Can it be knocked on the head completely by not letting anyone into the country once people have recovered? Are we better off having a slow spread to build the immunity? I guess what im saying is there any benefit to completely shutting it down in Australia or will that just mean when we open the borders again we become more susceptible?

Also on the tinfoil hat note, I saw a graph, pretty much all countries have lost around 25% financially in their markets, China 0.3% growth. its starting to get very smelly. China also reporting no new cases, do they have a cure? Did they have a cure from the start? Was it deliberately released?

You wouldnt doubt it would you.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Brodlach » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:09 pm

Dutchy wrote:Image

Is this what has been announced or what people want to happen?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion