West End Brewery

Anything!

Re: West End Brewery

Postby Wedgie » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:25 am

whufc wrote:
Wedgie wrote:West End is easily still the best seller at our pub and other pubs I've drank at.
Other beers only give it a run for money if they're on special. Its usually only the occasional visitor that isn't a regular that will have a beer like a Corona, Peroni, etc.
Great Northern, Superdry, Pale Ale and Calrton are the only other beers we haven't swapped around due to poor sales. XXXX almost held a spot.
Ciders are on a real downhill slide atm too, that started late last year.

West End themselves have said sales are at a record low so you must have just struck gold with the pubs you have been at or they have the worst business model on the planet.

West End also say themselves that West End beer is the most popular in the state with 1 in 5 beers sold being a West End.

If you actualy read my posts you would see I didn't disagree that sales were at a record low atm.
Was just giving an insight into the popularity of WED compared to other beers in certain demographics in that post.
Maybe have a read of this too:

Wedgie wrote:Don't think it's so much that (even though they're your old fashion front bars more than artsy crappy wankerfest) , it's just pubs like that are getting so many less people in these days. Because of Covid we had to get rid of happy hours, raffles, the pool table, etc resulting in a big downturn.

Last time West End was sold at Adelaide Oval it was easily the best seller at the bar I worked at despite being only in cans and not on tap. Got heaps of complaints at the cricket after we stopped selling it.

Marketing might have something to do with it too as 3 places I worked never even had it.
Like decent cider, Carlton Draught is getting rarer and rarer too, I'm always looking out for it as my mate drinks it.

I've even read that earlier this year was the worst month for all alcohol sales and I know mainstream beer is getting a shrinking slice of the market.
If you went to pubs in the 80s the only two beers on tap were WED and West End Light, of course their sales were gping to drop going from almosy having a monopoly on a huge slice of the market to not even being sold at a lot of places, throw in the impact of Covid then of course big overseas companies are going to look at streamlining their businesses.

The fact they're still going to make and sell WED says a bit too. If sales were so bad compared to other beers why would they continue to produce it?
The beer's obviously still of value where the brewery isn't.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby The Ash Man » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:59 am

Wedgie wrote:
Spargo wrote:
Wedgie wrote:West End is easily still the best seller at our pub and other pubs I've drank at.
Other beers only give it a run for money if they're on special.

Obviously your pub & the other pubs you drink at are in the minority otherwise they wouldn’t be shutting shop :lol:
FWIW at my local, very few drink West End. Carlton Draught easily sells the most followed by Coopers Pale.

Don't think it's so much that (even though they're your old fashion front bars more than artsy crappy wankerfest) , it's just pubs like that are getting so many less people in these days. Because of Covid we had to get rid of happy hours, raffles, the pool table, etc resulting in a big downturn.

Last time West End was sold at Adelaide Oval it was easily the best seller at the bar I worked at despite being only in cans and not on tap. Got heaps of complaints at the cricket after we stopped selling it.

Marketing might have something to do with it too as 3 places I worked never even had it.
Like decent cider, Carlton Draught is getting rarer and rarer too, I'm always looking out for it as my mate drinks it.

Anyway I support a South Aussie company and will go up to the bar at the Royal now and grab another Pale. ;)
Pubs also charging up to $9 for a pint also doesn’t help.

I used to go to the pub a couple of times a week now I’m lucky to go once a month.

The prices are ridiculous when you look at the cost of an actual keg.

The other thing is the downturn in pubs with TAB.

With betting apps and beer prices the traditional Saturday arvo groups of blokes who have 10 pints and a punt are slowly turning their backs, me included

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Wedgie » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:30 am

Agreed on all counts mate, I'm actually suprised how many still use the TAB.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:28 am

Pub near me has never had a TAB and just put one in when they renovated during COVID shutdown
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:15 pm

I was at the Excelsior on a Saturday recently and was amazed they didn't have Foxtel!
Only sport on the TVs (excluding racing) was a SANFL game!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:35 pm

Dutchy wrote:Pub near me has never had a TAB and just put one in when they renovated during COVID shutdown

That was a bit silly. COVID will come visiting now. It specifically targets drinking gamblers
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:46 pm

The Ash Man wrote:With betting apps and beer prices the traditional Saturday arvo groups of blokes who have 10 pints and a punt are slowly turning their backs, me included

Every Saturday, three of us, about an hour and a half, maybe 2 hours, 10 or 12 races, 2 or 3 beers. Still happens but yes, the groups who once were there from 1 'til 5 are no more.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby heater31 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:01 pm

Booney wrote:
The Ash Man wrote:With betting apps and beer prices the traditional Saturday arvo groups of blokes who have 10 pints and a punt are slowly turning their backs, me included

Every Saturday, three of us, about an hour and a half, maybe 2 hours, 10 or 12 races, 2 or 3 beers. Still happens but yes, the groups who once were there from 1 'til 5 are no more.
One thing I've noticed since being a regular visitor to Far North Queensland is that most pubs up there still have a schooner (SA pints) around the $7 mark. In SA its over $8!

The home-brewed enthusiast can get it down to below 50c!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:05 pm

heater31 wrote:
Booney wrote:

One thing I've noticed since being a regular visitor to Far North Queensland is that most pubs up there still have a schooner (SA pints) around the $7 mark. In SA its over $8!

U Brew It.

6 cartons of 330ml stubs for $180 at around 5-6% ABV or $200 for 7%+ ABV.

$1.25 to $1.40 per stubby, that's why I've been doing it monthly for 5 years!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:19 pm

Tax is the killer, about 40 % of the price
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Spargo » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:40 pm

Booney wrote:
heater31 wrote:
Booney wrote:

U Brew It.

*echoes
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Spargo » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:41 pm

Wedgie wrote:I was at the Excelsior on a Saturday recently and was amazed they didn't have Foxtel!

Foxtel is bloody expensive for licensed venues.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:44 pm

Spargo wrote:
Booney wrote:
U Brew It.

*echoes

Years

Years

Years

Years
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MatteeG » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:46 pm

Spargo wrote:Foxtel is bloody expensive.

EFA
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Brodlach » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:47 pm

Spargo wrote:
Wedgie wrote:I was at the Excelsior on a Saturday recently and was amazed they didn't have Foxtel!

Foxtel is bloody expensive for licensed venues.

Commercial license $10k
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Magellan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:28 pm

Spargo wrote:
Booney wrote:
heater31 wrote:
Booney wrote:Every Saturday, three of us, about an hour and a half, maybe 2 hours, 10 or 12 races, 2 or 3 beers. Still happens but yes, the groups who once were there from 1 'til 5 are no more.

U Brew It.

*echoes

Good song.

"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:06 pm

Brodlach wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Recreational drugs eating into beer consumption amongst the younger generation? Discuss...

i suspect its a big issue at Footy clubs around the state.

Totally agree with this

Back in my playing days, home games we would all be at the club until close drinking and a few would have a few cones to go with it. Now there is lucky to be any players there after 8 or 9pm once meals are done.
Obviously as WHUFC has said the cost is a big factor now. Drugs are alot cheaper.
The cricket club is a completely different kettle of fish, the core group of 20 or so are drinkers. Maybe there's a correlation there, cricket is too boring for the recreational drug takers.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Brodlach » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:28 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Brodlach wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Recreational drugs eating into beer consumption amongst the younger generation? Discuss...

i suspect its a big issue at Footy clubs around the state.

Totally agree with this

Back in my playing days, home games we would all be at the club until close drinking and a few would have a few cones to go with it. Now there is lucky to be any players there after 8 or 9pm once meals are done.
Obviously as WHUFC has said the cost is a big factor now. Drugs are alot cheaper.
The cricket club is a completely different kettle of fish, the core group of 20 or so are drinkers. Maybe there's a correlation there, cricket is too boring for the recreational drug takers.

Back in your day shops closed at 12pm on a Saturday and no shops open Sundays, there really wasn’t much to detract from staying at the footy club for copious amounts of time. I’m the same.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:58 pm

$6 pints of West End all day tomorrow at a lot of pubs in recognition of the news.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Pseudo » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:39 pm

Wedgie wrote:$6 pints of West End all day tomorrow at a lot of pubs in recognition of the news.

But not Adelaide Oval I bet :lol:
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion