Lessons Learned - Building a House

Anything!

Re: Lessons Learned - Building a House

Postby The Ash Man » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:21 am

nuggety goodness wrote:So slab is down, frames are up, gutters and roof are on and bricks have been delivered. It's all getting pretty real nkw and taking shape nicely.

I have to stary thinking about the post handover work so can anyone point me in the direction of good tradies to do the following work;

1) flooring - looking at carpet in 4 beds and floating floors throughout the rest, wifey likes the vinyl finish.

2) driveway - would love an aggregate driveway but cost will determine that, if not then dark coloured cement.

3) exterior paving/pathways. Not sure which way to go yet but we will need 2x staircases outside as the house is split level, a 1m stepdown. Leaning toward pavers to make it blend with the alfresco but assume concrete stairs would be better.

4) retaining walls. I will have a 900mm retainer at the back of the property and then a second level step of about 400-500mm near the rear of the house so we don't need to engineer the wall. The only spanner is the bloke at the rear is potentially building his up another metre so it would change my wall considerably... some more work to do on that one.

Handover is (supposed to be) in late July/early August so i want to get on the ball early...

Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2) If you go for dark coloured CONCRETE make sure it is intergral colour through concrete and not oxide broadcast on top. Also make sure you seal it. Dark colours will always fade so be prepared for that.
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:41 pm

Yeah, mine has faded already
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby heater31 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:48 pm

Footy Chick wrote:Yeah, mine has faded already
Aged look is cool I'm told [emoji6]

Anyways fixed your water leak yet?
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:51 pm

heater31 wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:Yeah, mine has faded already
Aged look is cool I'm told [emoji6]

Anyways fixed your water leak yet?

There was no leak :oops:

The tap in my ensuite was only ever slightly turned on - not enough for any water to be leaking from the tap but enough to make the pipes outside make noise.

Thankfully I realised this soon after and cancelled the plumber.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Previous

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion