Anything!

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:56 am

Booney wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:
Because?

....you're selfish.

Statement or question Boon? :-)

I was asking because I thought Wegs might have zero mortgage and investments but was inviting a response.

For me, an interest rate rise with two mortgages isn't ideal. And Wegs and I are the same age. Interesting how people view the state of play huh?
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Things that give you the sh1ts

Postby Jim05 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:57 am

Booney wrote:
Brodlach wrote:
DOC wrote:There is a strong argument to increase the GST as a curb to inflation, to spread more evenly the tax base and to increase the revenue for the Government.

This is out of the RBA's hands. They effectively only have the one tool.

Asking people to stop spending is close to pointless.

I’m not sure that either the current Labor or the current Liberals if they win the next election would have the balls to do this.

LNP certainly wouldn't consider it.
Won’t probably have to worry about that for sometime and perhaps never.
The LNP are close to finished unless they make drastic changes IMO
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3554 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Pseudo » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:09 am

Booney wrote: ( I'm not saying the bullshit average wage which is not anywhere near average in reality )

What is the official average wage, and what do you think it actually is?

Serious question. I've often thought there is a vast disparity between the reported median salary and what I would estimate it to be - but maybe this is due to my own biases.

For the good of all the majority need to curb spending but as demonstrated above if we all think "I'm alright Jack" and only worry about ourselves these rate rises might just keep coming and we spiral off into recession.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner%27s_dilemma

So the real question is how does the government or RBA curb the spending / lifestyle habits of those who haven't felt the impact of the rates rises?

Taxation is as much a social engineering tool as it is a source of revenue. However I suspect that higher taxes would be less popular than higher interest rates, and the government would be directly answerable to the electorate for it.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1563 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Pseudo » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:22 am

Pseudo wrote:Internode.

Apparently Internode (and iiNet, and TPG) is wrapping up its email service this year. Reading their website, current users can nominate to have their email migrated to a dedicated email company before a certain date, and keep the username@internode.on.net email address. This will be free for a year - and then it's going to cost. If you don't nominate by a certain time, then your email will be disabled, and deleted by November.

I heard about this by overhearing a conversation in the office. I received no email from internode, no letter, no SMS, no nothing about this. Nor did the guy I overheard; he heard about it from his parents.

The shitfulness of this is manifold:
- Internode is divesting a service but not decreasing its cost.
- Ultimately having to pay extra for email is untenable, particularly when there are plenty of free email services out there.
- Changing to a new email address is a right royal pain in the arse; I have numerous accounts registered with my Internode address (think utilities, superannuation, subscriptions ... pretty much everything) and now I have to change each and every one.
- I called Internode support to get info. The bloke I spoke to sounded like a Filipino. Clearly Internode has outsourced its tech support. Not a good thing. I'm still waiting for the info he promised to send.
- Most of all: if I hadn't eavedropped on a conversation at work, I'd be none the wiser, and some time in November my account would simply disappear in a puff of ethernet and I'd be rooted.

Rant over...

The circus has begun.

Transition to the third-party email provider has not yet happened. I'm led to believe that it will be a drawn out process, with users migrated over to the new service in order of sign-up, and the process is expected to take until mid-2024.

Nevertheless internode has clearly decided to stop support of email more or less immediately. Incoming email might happen once a day, if that. I've had emails lob in my inbox timestamped at 48 hours prior. Outgoing email might be processed instantaneously, or not. It's a coin toss. Logging on to the webmail is an exercise in futility; during daytime hours you're likely to get a 504 gateway timeout. Using IMAP with an email client tends to work, but keeps on dropping connection.

Internode has been aware of this since at least Saturday...
https://advisories.internode.on.net/item/21366/
... although the problems began well before then. Performance has been markedly worse this week though. Nonetheless there is no sign that internode cares about this. "Technical staff are continuing to investigate service restoration", WTF?

Last night I began migrating all my internet accounts over to a new free email address - until I can settle on a more permanent email provider. Once this is done I'll be in the market for a new broadband provider. Internode used to have the best service on the planet; now I wouldn't trust them to organise a root in a brothel.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1563 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Booney » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:31 am

Pseudo wrote:What is the official average wage, and what do you think it actually is?

The Australian Bureau of Statistics :

https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/labou ... a/may-2023

Full-time adult average weekly ordinary time earnings $1,838.60 * 52 = $95,607.20 p/a

I would say it's actually more like $65-70,000.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7512 times
Been liked: 10808 times

Postby dedja » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:33 am

SET boring as faark discussion = ON

Inflation is a measure (in my view a poor and outdated one) of the rate of price rises for products and services in an economy, not the size of the economy, nor the revenue raised by governments to fund services.

The Cash Rate, set the RBA (independently of the Federal Government) is effectively the wholesale interest rate that financial institutions have to pay on the money they borrow to operate. The RBA has a target rate of between 2-3%, and uses changes in the Cash Rate (basically the only tool it has) to coerce inflation to be within the desired range.

GST is a measure to generate revenue collected by the Federal Government to distribute to State and Territory Governments to assist them in funding their services.

GDP is a measure of the total value of goods and services produced in an economy.

Economic growth (or deficit) is the rate of change of GDP.

Whilst there is somewhat a relationship between all these things, depending on the context, I’d be surprised that the rate GST is a consideration to manage inflation.

I would have thought that any discussion on changing the GST rate revolves around the ability of State Governments to fund their services, particularly since the total amount of GST revenue is decreasing as a percentage of total government revenue. This is a completely different but valid discussion.

Note that setting the rate of GST has absolutely nothing to do with the RBA, and any change to the rate is managed by the Federal Government, requiring approval by both Houses of Federal Parliament AND the unanimous support of all State and Territory governments.

My personal view is that the RBA should update its antiquated financial models for both the calculation of inflation and the data used to set monetary policy. As has quite correctly been discussed in this thread, the current monetary policy of raising the cash rate to manage inflation is an extremely blunt instrument that not only is poorly targeted, but punishes those that that can least afford it whilst those who have a collective larger impact on inflation can either better afford the impacts or have sufficient cash flows and lower or nil borrowings that are much easily affordable for them.

SET boring as faark discussion = OFF
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 197 times
Been liked: 1009 times

Postby Booney » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:36 am

dedja wrote:SET boring as faark discussion = ON

My personal view is that the RBA should update its antiquated financial models for both the calculation of inflation and the data used to set monetary policy. As has quite correctly been discussed in this thread, the current monetary policy of raising the cash rate to manage inflation is an extremely blunt instrument that not only is poorly targeted, but punishes those that that can least afford it whilst those who have a collective larger impact on inflation can either better afford the impacts or have sufficient cash flows and lower or nil borrowings that are much easily affordable for them.

SET boring as faark discussion = OFF

That wraps it all up nicely.

Right, we can get back to arguing about crumpets* again.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby dedja » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:50 am

Specifically due to CrumpetGate, I recently indulged in round crumpets with fritz and sauce.

Of particular note is that I had no issue in removing the said crumpets from the packet, nor did I have any issues re-wrapping them for future use. :lol:
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:01 am

dedja wrote:Specifically due to CrumpetGate, I recently indulged in round crumpets with fritz and sauce.

Of particular note is that I had no issue in removing the said crumpets from the packet, nor did I have any issues re-wrapping them for future use. :lol:

:lol: :lol:
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby dedja » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:02 am

Pseudo wrote:
Pseudo wrote:Internode.

Last night I began migrating all my internet accounts over to a new free email address - until I can settle on a more permanent email provider. Once this is done I'll be in the market for a new broadband provider. Internode used to have the best service on the planet; now I wouldn't trust them to organise a root in a brothel.

Yes, that sucks big time. I last used Internode 10 years ago, but perversely still have an active email account that I don’t use. Their email service has always been one of the shittiest ones on the planet, but this is the norm with most ISP provided email services.

The Internode of today has only a passing relationship to the OG one.

Just make sure that you can organise for your Internode email account(s) to be forwarded to your new service(s) for free, regardless of the proposed or now active Internode service changes. This will buy you the time required to re-organise your affairs.
Last edited by dedja on Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
dedja
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:14 am

Brodlach wrote:I do see your point Booney and I could spiral this conversation out of control but I will say many people who borrowed for homes over the past 5 years borrowed at record low interest rates and borrowed too much. Didn’t factor in the rates would return to “normal” levels.

Price gouging by goods and services has to be close to record levels IMO as we can see from profits by big companies

I have written, on here, about this before.

Going from memory (because I'm not going to search for the actual numbers) 18 months ago when interest rates were around the lowest, BOQ were using a nominal rate of somewhere around 5.5% to assess your ability to service a mortgage. 12 months later, when interest rates were rising, they lifted that to 7.5%

Current rates are around 5.5%. The difference is the cost of living has also, dramatically, increased.
Last week, I asked the same economist about that and he said they had factored in higher inflation because it was bleeding obvious we were going to have an inflation problem due to all of the money stimulus.

No sane person ever thought interest rates would stay that low.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 1074 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby RB » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:18 am

Booney wrote:
Pseudo wrote:What is the official average wage, and what do you think it actually is?

Full-time adult average weekly ordinary time earnings $1,838.60 * 52 = $95,607.20 p/a

Perhaps the average is affected by a few very high income earners? Do they publish a median wage?
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 770 times
Been liked: 1081 times

Postby Booney » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:28 am

RB wrote:
Booney wrote:

Perhaps the average is affected by a few very high income earners? Do they publish a median wage?

SalaryExplorer puts Australia’s median salary, therefore, is a more modest $79,800—more than $10,000 less than the average.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/au/perso ... australia/
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:07 pm

Every interest rate rise takes around 6 months to show any impact on spending, most are expecting another rise early next year, it ain't over yet.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2331 times
Been liked: 3555 times

Postby dedja » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:47 pm

Anne Moran.

After finally not being re-elected last year, we thought we’d seen the end of her faarking whinging and whining elitism.

But alas, not the case.

I don’t give a faark that you’re selling your North Adelaide mansion, and I certainly don’t give a faark that your dog ran off during the recent storm.

FFS all media, stop reporting about this privileged has-been, elitist waste of space. :twisted:
dedja
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:16 am

@Spargo
dedja wrote:Anne Moran.

After finally not being re-elected last year, we thought we’d seen the end of her faarking whinging and whining elitism.

But alas, not the case.

I don’t give a faark that you’re selling your North Adelaide mansion, and I certainly don’t give a faark that your dog ran off during the recent storm.

FFS all media, stop reporting about this privileged has-been, elitist waste of space. :twisted:
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7939 times

Postby Spargo » Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:29 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:@Spargo
dedja wrote:Anne Moran.

But alas, not the case.

My misunderstood princess.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5510 times
Been liked: 5141 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:31 am

What a way to start a Friday. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:43 am

Fight! Fight! Fight!
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:44 am

People who just don’t listen.

I hung up on a customer just because they just didn’t want to listen. Frustrating
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion