Things that give you the sh1ts

Anything!

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

Postby Spargo » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:32 pm

bennymacca wrote:Teachers and farmers are the only two types of workers that continually try and tell everyone else how hard their job is, like if they say it enough times it must come true

Incredibly ignorant comment.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5478 times
Been liked: 5119 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby bennymacca » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:01 pm

Spargo wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Teachers and farmers are the only two types of workers that continually try and tell everyone else how hard their job is, like if they say it enough times it must come true

I lived in a farming town and 5 of my immediate family are teachers, and I used to work in the public service

I’m not for a second saying they don’t earn their money but I’ve met more self righteous teachers than any other profession

So thanks for your input
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby LMA » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:05 pm

amber_fluid wrote:Im tipping Pag works alot harder than most of us who post daily on here.

**** if I’d ever be a teacher in this day and age.............

Hats off to the workers who provide services for the community. I have no qualms with Nurses, Teachers, Police Officers, Bus Drivers, Child Care workers, etc striving for more pay or better and safer conditions.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Dutchy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:10 pm

Pag wrote:There are poor and lazy teachers out there, as there are in every profession/trade, but for the majority, six is a more realistic number.

This bit frustrates me, and Im sure it frustrates the good teachers, why are they not made accountable?

If you don't mind me asking Pag, do you have regular performance discussions with the principal? Do they grade each teacher?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby Spargo » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:59 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Spargo wrote:

I lived in a farming town and 5 of my immediate family are teachers, and I used to work in the public service

I’m not for a second saying they don’t earn their money but I’ve met more self righteous teachers than any other profession

So thanks for your input

Yeah nah
Still ignorant.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5478 times
Been liked: 5119 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:09 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Pag wrote:There are poor and lazy teachers out there, as there are in every profession/trade, but for the majority, six is a more realistic number.

This bit frustrates me, and Im sure it frustrates the good teachers, why are they not made accountable?

If you don't mind me asking Pag, do you have regular performance discussions with the principal? Do they grade each teacher?

This is the big issue with both teaching and public service

The lack of performance management is insane

For teachers they rarely actually perform their duty in the presence of their peers. How many other careers are there like that? It would be incredibly hard to detect poor performance

For public servants it’s the bureaucracy associated with performance management
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Pag » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:27 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Can't speak for every site but we have semi-annual Performance Management meetings with our line manager (either Principal, Deputy or Assistant Principal), usually after we've been observed in the classroom.

It does frustrate the good teachers, especially as it reflects on the majority in the public eye. People tend to remember the bad ones more than the good ones IMO, as I believe they are the minority, they tend to stand out more. The point you make around poor teachers is correct, and Principals have asked for more power in selecting their staff. Some teachers may have won a permanent position at their site in the 80s or 90s and not changed their pedagogies or practices since, and it is incredibly hard for principals to move these staff members on who are locked to their school. There are plenty of enthusiastic teachers who are stuck in a term-by-term or year-by-year contract situations who would like to see this changed as well.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Corona Man » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:52 am

All games of cricket called off today..... FFS
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3485 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:59 am

Corona Man wrote:All games of cricket called off today..... FFS
Off to Flemington

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11840 times
Been liked: 3598 times

Postby Corona Man » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:09 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Off to Flemington

Off to the pub to watch Flemington!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3485 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:56 am

Corona Man wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Off to Flemington

Off to the pub to watch Flemington!

Should really be in the things you rate thread.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 447 times
Been liked: 1210 times

Postby LMA » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:56 am

Took Monday and Tuesday off as I have a heap of leave and have a Melb Cup luncheon on Sunday, felt a bit off yesterday and have woken up today with a bloody cold :evil:
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Dutchy » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:07 pm

Pag wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Can't speak for every site but we have semi-annual Performance Management meetings with our line manager (either Principal, Deputy or Assistant Principal), usually after we've been observed in the classroom.

It does frustrate the good teachers, especially as it reflects on the majority in the public eye. People tend to remember the bad ones more than the good ones IMO, as I believe they are the minority, they tend to stand out more. The point you make around poor teachers is correct, and Principals have asked for more power in selecting their staff. Some teachers may have won a permanent position at their site in the 80s or 90s and not changed their pedagogies or practices since, and it is incredibly hard for principals to move these staff members on who are locked to their school. There are plenty of enthusiastic teachers who are stuck in a term-by-term or year-by-year contract situations who would like to see this changed as well.

Thanks Pag some great insight, sounds like it needs an overhaul, should be some more performance based metrics IMO, pay for performance and weed out the poor ones, not just wait for natural attrition. Im sure there are some great young teachers who can't get a permanent role cause of the dead wood holding these roles.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby locky801 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:39 pm

The driver of the BMW that hit the koala on Main North Road Gepps Cross and didnt stop and left it lying injured in the middle of the road, sending heaps of karma your way you POS, thankfully a few of us stopped and collected the injured koala and got him to a vet
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3698 times
Been liked: 1165 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:25 pm

locky801 wrote:The driver of the BMW that hit the koala on Main North Road Gepps Cross and didnt stop and left it lying injured in the middle of the road, sending heaps of karma your way you POS, thankfully a few of us stopped and collected the injured koala and got him to a vet

Anyone get dashcam of the **** rego?
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11840 times
Been liked: 3598 times

Postby Footy Chick » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:16 pm

locky801 wrote:The driver of the BMW that hit the koala on Main North Road Gepps Cross and didnt stop and left it lying injured in the middle of the road, sending heaps of karma your way you POS, thankfully a few of us stopped and collected the injured koala and got him to a vet

Assholes X(

Thank you for taking him to get help :(
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby Pag » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:02 am

Dutchy wrote:
Pag wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Thanks Pag some great insight, sounds like it needs an overhaul, should be some more performance based metrics IMO, pay for performance and weed out the poor ones, not just wait for natural attrition. Im sure there are some great young teachers who can't get a permanent role cause of the dead wood holding these roles.

It depends on what you call, and how you measure, 'performance'. The easy answer is to say use NAPLAN results because the whole state and country use it. However, so much of those results are completely out of teachers hands, depending on the context. Obviously the scores at Burnside PS and Norwood PS will be much higher than northern suburbs schools, however I would argue the skill sets that good teachers in disadvantaged socio-economic schools have is much higher than in schools where kids are naturally engaged, compliant and wanting to learn. Myself and my colleagues need to have more 'tricks' up our sleeves to engage or students than many other places, however the challenges our students face on a daily basis is still represented in NAPLAN data (compared to other areas of Adelaide).

Short answer, I don't know how you'd measure it across the board, besides maybe a principal rating each teacher's value to the individual site.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby DOC » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:48 pm

Good on you Locky.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 730 times
Been liked: 2085 times

Postby Dutchy » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:07 pm

Pag wrote:
Short answer, I don't know how you'd measure it across the board, besides maybe a principal rating each teacher's value to the individual site.

Yeah agree, you couldn't use NAPLAN for reasons you have said, from what I know Principals need to have more control, they should have a large say in ensuring they have motivated and engaged staff.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:25 am

The Sunday Mail not having the form for all the fields for Melbourne Cup day. Now I've got to do 5 races on top of the cup tonight!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion