Daily Golf - Where you are playing and how you go

Daily Golf - Where you are playing and how you go

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:05 pm

Thought is would be worthwhile to keep an up to date thread on our Golf Courses around the place, ones we like, ones we dont, what condition they are currently in, what cost, any good deals etc etc

PLease keep the reviews up to date, say within the past 6 weeks, as a course condition can change quickly

Ill kick off, played today at Blackwood GC, have played there before but took the opportunity to take them up on their $30 per round offer that was in the local rag for January.

http://www.blackwoodgolf.com.au/default.asp

Course was in sensational nick, they have Bores there so no issues with water, great santa ana fairways and smooth and quick greens.

Its a very tight course so accuracy is the key, something not suited to my game unfortuantely...had a great start personally paring the first 4 holes and hitting a 41 on the front 9, then fell apart on the back 9 when the legs started to feel a bit tired!

The course has a good mixture of long and short holes as well as flat and hilly holes. The 9th hole is having its green reconstructed but instead of a temp green they have a temp hole of 95m pitching into their usual chipping green, much better than a temp green which is one of my pet hates

It is a private course so check out the dress rules on the website, the group behind us turned up in Jeans (WTF?) and another guy with shorts but black socks!!! they had to make some further purchases inthe Pro Shop before hitting the first tee!

Overall a very good course in good nick and worth taking them up on the $30- offer if you can during Jan

Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Re: SA Golf Course Reviews

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:08 pm

PLayed the Tanunda Pines about 3 months ago, was only in fair shape, but has a great design.

Also heard Mt Barker are changing all their fairways to Santa Ana and doing half a fairway at a time, so it would be a fair inconvenience IMO, Ill wait until the new fariways are in place before heading there
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby auto » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:17 pm

Played Adelaide links - South course today and for some reason i had thought it was a kick arse course. But i would rate it only average. Too many crappy fairways for me. Nothing worse than hitting a nice wood down the middle only to get a dodgy ly when you get to it.

Is blackwood open to the public and whats the dress code?
auto
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby Keefy » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:15 pm

automaticwicky wrote:Played Adelaide links - South course today and for some reason i had thought it was a kick arse course. But i would rate it only average. Too many crappy fairways for me. Nothing worse than hitting a nice wood down the middle only to get a dodgy ly when you get to it.

Is blackwood open to the public and whats the dress code?

You can play at the likes of Blackwood, the Vines at Reynella, Flagstaff Hill without having a member sign you in, but can cost up to almost $50 to play. Go to the website as Dutchy mentioned in his original post and print out the December newsletter. It has one of those $30 vouchers in it.

I played there last week with 5 other people who had the voucher, I can play there for free 3 times a year as I'm a member at the Vines.

I started off the same as you Dutchy with a 41 on the front but fell away on the first few holes of the back 9 and then came home with a rush of pars.

The Vines at the moment are only watering their tee blocks and greens, so the fairways are a bit dry, but you do get plenty of run out of them.

I'm playing McCracken on Thursday so can give you all a review of the course that night.
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 181 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:30 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Also heard Mt Barker are changing all their fairways to Santa Ana and doing half a fairway at a time, so it would be a fair inconvenience IMO, Ill wait until the new fariways are in place before heading there

With the way things are going financially there at the moment, the doors might be shut before they get all the fairways done.

Played at Mount Gambier (Attumurra) on the October long weekend and it was a course that was rated the best outside of Metropolitain Adelaide about 15 years ago.
The Greens were still excellent and very quick but the fairways didn't seem to be quite what they used to be and aesthetically the course is nowhere near as good as it use to be due to the removal of several tall pines - I'm guessing well over 100. I'm assuming this would only have been done because they had some borer in them or were starting to rot - it's a shame whatever the case.
Still worth playing if you are down that way though.
R.I.P. Patrice Lumumba 1925 - 1961
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby CK » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:57 am

Played Willunga a few weeks back, have had a few rounds there. Great course in rural surrounds - be prepared for the 4pm flypast of literally thousands of cockatoos - with challenging holes on long fairways. Having said that, some par 3's will present quandries for players who are unsure about whether to play safe or go for glory.

Beautifully maintained course with friendly staff, couldn't recommend this one more highly. While there is the option for buggies, its hard to go past enjoying the walk in such a lovely spot. The rough isn't too bad in most parts, but don't be afraid to take some extra balls - one hole can leave you shooting over a big dam to get to the hole.

Dress code is also flexible and reasonable, and the bar at the end has top prices. All in all, very highly recommended.
Can you guess where I'm calling from, the Las Vegas Hilton...
CK
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Swooper16 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:33 am

Totally agree CK. Played Willunga for the first time the other day and was really impressed. For a public course its in great nick. The water hazards were reasonably full (which is a rarity in the current climate) and the green fees were very reasonable.

Also played The Pat on Monday. Once again the course was in pretty good condition execpt for the 13th being under renovation (the 8th played as 2 separate holes) which at least made the scorecard look a little better.
Swooper16
League - Best 21

Been liked: 2 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:53 pm

wouldnt get me going to the Pat after all the traffic its had over the holidays, plus a guaranteed 5+ hour round!!!

Havent played Willunga for a few years, always drive over the hill for the better quality Fleurieu, might have to give Willunga a go again shortly, its a nice little course, a bit short but thats offset with the water hazards
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby MW » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:00 pm

Play Belair regularly...$20 weekdays and $25 w/ends. Short course but good layout. Only negative is the tee blocks are full of sand...
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Ash59 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:31 pm

I played Belair yesterday for the first time since I ceased being a member there in 1991. The course was in pretty good nick - fairways were lush in the right places. Very little change to the layout since I last played there. Front nine is still too short but a few nice holes on the back nine.

Played Regency Park a few days ago. The course was as dry as I've seen it. Greens were very slow, greenkeeper must be on holidays.
Ash59
Rookie

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Big Phil » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:19 pm

I'm with a social club and we play one Sunday a month at various courses throughout Adelaide and SA...

We had our December round in Belair and although it is not my favourite course, it was in reasonable nick and played well.

Was up in Clare on Monday for wedding plans with the missus and squeezed in 18 holes with a buggy and a late arvo tee time.

We had the course to ourselves, the missus caddied and drove the buggy. Teed off at 2.20pm and came down the 18th on the tick of 5pm when we had to have the cart back.

The course was in wonderful condition and the greens were the best I have seen them in years...

Played Echunga on Boxing Day for the first time and was very impressed with the course, especially at $16 a round and having a 2 for 1 voucher meant me and my mate played 18 holes @ $0.45 a hole !! NOT BAD HEY !!!

Agree about Willunga, played in twice last year, it really is a beautiful course, as is Mt. Lofty which I played for the first time just before Christmas in a corporate day for work. We won the ambrose comp and got about $300 worth of prizes which made the experience all the better. Great course that one.

Also enjoyed playing the following courses in 2008:

The Pat
Links Lady Bay
North Adelaide South
North Adelaide North
Mt. Barker
Gawler / Sandy Creek
Fleurieu
Victor Harbour
Port Augusta
Port Lincoln
Whyalla
Mt. Osmond
McCraken
Murray Bridge

Haven't played Blackwood before so might have to take up that special Dutchy mentioned before I go back to work.
Last edited by Big Phil on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:44 am

MW wrote:Play Belair regularly...$20 weekdays and $25 w/ends. Short course but good layout. Only negative is the tee blocks are full of sand...

used to play in a sat comp up there

actually dont mind it

havent been up there for a while may go up on friday morning
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:48 am

like BIG PHIL i was at Echunga recently - last friday

nice course, played it before generally nice, quiet and peaceful

last friday it was absolutely PACKED

teed off at 9-30 and didnt finish till 2-30 - longest round of golf ive had.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:12 am

Im teeing it up again at Blackwood tomorrow :D
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Browny25 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:44 am

I played Flagstaff Hill over the holidays and really enjoyed it, seemed to be in pretty good nick.

Also played at Mt Lofty, has anyone else? What do you think?

I would encourage people to play out at Sandy Creek / Gawler if they get the opportunity, its a personal favourite of mine.
Browny25
Coach

Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby Browny25 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:45 am

Best Par 3 course?

I think the par 3 in Salisbury (Little River?) is possibly the best.
Browny25
Coach

Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby BJ Ernest » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:13 pm

Totally agree with Willunga. Im biased because i worked there 2-3 years ago greenkeeping but for the price and quality of the course im yet to play one as good.

Its short but very tight, if you miss a fairway you need to play a ripper shot to make GIR. The greens are of a good pace, not lightning but they are quick and roll true. Some challenging holes mixed in with some birdie holes and some quality surroundings. The course is run off treated grey water so will never have a shortage of green fairways.

Great little course and for me i prefer it over the courses nearby and past it ie Mccracken, Lady Bay etc that i personally find a lot easier to play.

Stop in for a game you wont regret it!
BJ Ernest
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Willunga

Postby Big Phil » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:36 pm

Dutchy wrote:Im teeing it up again at Blackwood tomorrow :D

Yes, I was thinking I might head up there for a hit tomorrow, take advantage of the good offer :D
Last edited by Big Phil on Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby Choccies » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:10 pm

I played TTG on Tuesday and that was in fairly good nick apart from some GUR but thats to be expected this time of year... That course always kills me though...
Played Sandy Creek 2 weeks ago and that was in good nick too.
North Adelaide, South course (long course ?? I never remember...) was in great nick for a public course... Couldn't complain about the twilight fees of $15 after 2.30 either... Greens were so thick and slow though...
Played Flagstaff late last year and never seen greens so fast !! In great nick and always fun to play..
I always enjoy Echunga too... nice and cheap and not a real long drive there..
I love grapes. With grapes, you always get another chance. You know, if you have a crappy apple or a peach, you’re stuck with that crappy piece of fruit. If you have a crappy grape, no problem-just move on to the next. ‘Grapes: The Fruit of Hope.
Choccies
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby The Ash Man » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:30 pm

browny2323 wrote:Best Par 3 course?

I think the par 3 in Salisbury (Little River?) is possibly the best.

Little Para? is quite nice Browny
Im a big fan of Cudlee Creek tho

Echunga is a great course, played there alot
A roo stole my old mans ball from the fairway there one Sunday morning! Was hilarious!
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports  Golf